Quinoa chickpea salad – Quinoa pronounced as “kheen-wah” is a seed that is gluten free and is used much like a grain in various dishes. Though they are high in carbs, considered as a super food due to their high nutritional profile like amino acids, protein, minerals & antioxidants.
We quinoa every now and then in various ways. Ever since I started using Instant pot we have been eating quinoa more often as it needs no baby sitting. It is super easy to make anything in it. I make quinoa upma, lemon quinoa and even quinoa pulao.
Sometimes we eat plain this instant pot quinoa with some yogurt and fruits topped over. It makes a super satiating meal that is not only nutritious but also tastes yum.
This quinoa chickpea salad is one of my favorites and is super quick to make if you have precooked or canned chickpeas. Whenever I make chana masala I make sure I set aside for this salad.
This is pretty simple and just toss in what ever fresh seasonal veggies you have along with some herbs and lemon juice. You are good to serve it for a breakfast or a meal.
how to make quinoa salad
1. Rinse quinoa in water and let them soak for about 10 to 15 minutes. Most quinoa are ready to cook, they are processed to remove the bitter saponins before they are marketed. I however find them slightly bitter when eaten, so i soak and then rub them. Lastly rinse them well in a colander to remove the bitterness.
2. Add half cup quinoa to a cooking pan with 1 cup of water and cook till they turn transparent. Evaporate if more water is left by cooking on a high flame.
3. Soak chickpeas / chana overnight and boil them till soft.
4. Mix all the ingredients and toss.
Ingredients (1 cup = 240ml )
- ½ cup quinoa
- ½ cup cooked chickpeas
- 1 tomato chopped
- 2 tbsps coriander leaves or cilantro
- ¼ tsp crushed pepper
- 1 carrots chopped or shredded
- 1 cucumber chopped
- 1 green chili deseeded and minced
- 1 tbsp virgin olive oil or virgin coconut oil
- salt as needed
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tbsp tahini (optional)
- Rinse quinoa in a colander several times rubbing them well. Set aside to drain
- Cook them with 1 cup water until opaque and transparent.
- If cooking in IP it just takes a minute.
- Cool the quinoa well
- Soak chickpeas overnight and boil them till soft.
- Add all the ingredients to a bowl and toss.
- Serve quinoa chickpea salad fresh.
To cook one cup of quinoa, 2 to 2 1/2 cups of water is good enough. You can refer the instructions on the pack
Alternative quantities provided in the recipe card are for 1x only, original recipe.
For best results follow my detailed step-by-step photo instructions and tips above the recipe card.
NUTRITION INFO (estimation only)
© Swasthi’s Recipes