Ragi cookies recipe – Easy, delicious and quick to make coconut ragi cookies without baking powder or baking soda. These ragi cookies turn out to be crunchy, delicious and perfect for toddlers, kids and for anyone not on a low fat diet. This recipe uses egg, to make without egg you can check this Eggless Ragi biscuits recipe.
The cookie dough can be made ahead and refrigerated. They can be baked whenever you wish to have some warm cookies. Isn’t it amazing? During the Christmas vacations, I had baked many kinds of cookies, Chocolate cake and Nankhatai.
One of the easiest ones were these ragi cookies, which took not much of time and yet they tasted great. My kids enjoyed munching on these with their milk.
The recipe yields 24 cookies, if you do not have a large oven, you can divide it to 2 batches and bake them. Keep the dough refrigerated till you use.
Ragi cookies recipe
Ingredients (1 cup = 240ml )
- ¾ cup desiccated coconut or dried coconut
- ¾ cup ragi flour or finger millet flour (can use even ragi puttu podi for the best crust)
- ½ cup wheat flour or plain flour/ maida (if possible use unbleached flour)
- 150 grams butter – soft but still cold
- 150 grams fine sugar or roughly powdered
- 1 tbsp Coarse sugar optional
- ¾ tbsp Vanilla extract
- 1 egg , small
- Beat the butter and sugar till fluffy. Add egg and vanilla. Beat till well incorporated.
- Add coconut, millet flour and plain flour. Mix well. You will end up with a moist dough. Sprinkle the coarse sugar all over evenly and just mix it once.
- Cover and refrigerate for at least 1 hour.
- Preheat the oven to 180 C for at least 15 mins.
- Make balls and flatten them slightly on the baking sheet.
- Bake these till done. Takes around 10 mins for me. When done the cookies top is dry.
- You can make ragi cookies in batches till you use up the entire dough.
- Store ragi cookies in a air tight jar.
Alternative quantities provided in the recipe card are for 1x only, original recipe.
For best results follow my detailed step-by-step photo instructions and tips above the recipe card.
NUTRITION INFO (estimation only)
© Swasthi’s Recipes
How to make ragi cookies at home
1. These are the ingredients to use. Butter has to be soft but cold.
2. Begin with beating the butter and sugar till light and fluffy. There is not much of butter to beat. But beat it till creamy.
3. Add egg and vanilla. Beat till well incorporated.
4. Next add coconut, flour. Mix well. You will end up with a moist dough. Sprinkle the coarse sugar all over evenly and just mix it once.
5. Cover and refrigerate for at least 1 hour. I do not have the pictures of the rest of the recipe as I got busy with the kids.
6. Preheat the oven to 180 C for at least 15 mins.
7. Make balls and flatten them slightly on the baking sheet.
8. Bake these till done. Takes around 10 mins for me.
9. You can make these in batches till you use up the entire dough
Cool the ragi cookies on a wire rack. Store in an airtight container and use up within 2 weeks.