Potlakaya perugu pachadi is a classic andhra style pachadi made with snake gourd and yogurt. Snake gourd is called potlakaya and perugu is yogurt hence the name. It can be served with plain rice or phulka. It is mildly spicy and delicious. It will be liked even by folks who do not like the flavor of snake gourd.
Snake gourd or potlakaya is one of the most nutritious veggies. It is commonly known as padwal in Indian language or hindi. It is widely used to make curry, stir fry and chutney recipes.
It is said to have many medicinal values too. It is a natural antibiotic, expectorant, and laxative. It can disperse phlegm, expel toxins and is anti-inflammatory.
Potlakaya also helps relieve dryness and has many more health benefits.
This recipe is made similar to the sorakaya perugu pachadi. To make this potlakaya perugu pachadi, we first cook the veggie until soft.
Then cool it completely and blend. Then it is mixed with the tempered curd or yogurt.
When snake gourd is mixed with yogurt the sharp smell of snake gourd disappears.
- Scrape off the whitish skin of the potlakaya very well to reduce the smell.
- Rinse it well and remove the pith and seeds.
- You can pressure cook it or steam before blending.
- Use tender snake gourd as it is less fibrous.
- Some people prefer to boil the veggie in surplus water and then discard the water. This helps to reduce the strong smell of the veggie.
- We usually use slightly sour curd as there is no other ingredient added for the tang.
Potlakaya perugu pachadi
Ingredients (1 cup = 240ml )
- 2 cups snake gourd pieces , chopped potlakaya
- ¾ cup sour curd thick slightly / yogurt (whisked)
- 1 tbsp shredded ginger
- 1 sprig curry leaves
- 1 tbsp oil
- ½ tsp mustard
- ½ tsp cumin / jeera
- 3 green chilies (fine chopped)
- 1 red chili , broken
- Coriander leaves Few
- 1 Pinch hing
- Salt to taste
- Wash potlakaya under running water. With the help of a knife scrape off the whistish skin. Rinse thoroughly. Chop to cubes, remove the center part of fiber and seeds. Chop them to cubes.
- Pressure cook the chopped gourd for 1 to 2 whistles, depends on how tender your gourd is. You can even cook them in a pot.
- Once the vegetable is cooled, puree it. Can alternately skip pureeing cooked gourd and use them directly.
- Heat oil in a pan, add curry leaves, green chilies, mustard, cumin and allow them to splutter.
- Add ginger and red chili, fry to get an aroma.
- Add turmeric and hing.
- Pour the pureed gourd and fry for a min on high.
- Once cool, transfer potlakaya perugu pachadi to the yogurt bowl and mix well. Add coriander leaves.
- Ready to serve with rice or phulka
Alternative quantities provided in the recipe card are for 1x only, original recipe.
For best results follow my detailed step-by-step photo instructions and tips above the recipe card.
NUTRITION INFO (estimation only)
© Swasthi’s Recipes