Mamidikaya pappu recipe – Learn to make andhra style mango dal recipe, a delicious tangy dal. Mango is called as mamidikaya in telugu and mango cooked with dal called as mamidikaya pappu. Andhra pappu is mostly made with vegetables like bottle gourd, ridge gourd, tomato, spinach and even with raw mango. Mamidikaya pappu is one of the most commonly made Andhra pappu varieties.
Mamidikaya pappu or mango dal tastes tangy & slightly hot from green chilies. It is one of the best andhra pappu recipe that one can make during mango season. Mamidikaya pappu can be served with rice or chapathi. It makes a simple and hearty meal when accompanied with ghee, papad, pickle and yogurt or rasam.
Tips to make the best mamidikaya pappu
Always choose a mature mango and not a young one.
Pressure cooking raw mango pieces with dal and green chilies brings out the flavor of mangoes. So if possible pressure cook them.
Most commonly toor dal is used to make this. However you can add a few tbsps of moong dal to get a creamy pappu.
Ingredients like red chili powder, tamarind and tomato will alter the taste of mango dal.
Mamidikaya pappu recipe or mango dal recipe
Mamidikaya pappu recipe | Mango dal | Andhra pappu recipe
Ingredients (1 cup = 240ml )
- 1 cup dal (toor/ kandhi pappu or moong dal/ pesarapappu)
- 1 cup raw mango cubed with skin
- 2 ½ cups water or as needed
- salt to taste
- 2 green chilies
Tempering mamidikaya pappu
- 2 tbsp ghee or 1 tbsp oil
- 1 clove garlic crushed or ½ tsp grated ginger
- pinch asafoetida or hing (optional)
- 1/8 tsp turmeric or haldi
- ½ tsp mustard or rai
- ½ to ¾ tsp cumin or jeera
- 1 broken red chili or few curd chilies
- 1 sprig curry leaves
Preparation for mamidikaya pappu
- Add dal to a pressure cooker and wash it few times and drain off the water.
- Pour 2 ½ cups of fresh water to the pressure cooker.
- Wash mango well and chop it to pieces, discard the seed.
- Add the mango pieces to the cooker along with salt, green chilies and turmeric
- Pressure cook for 2 whistles if cooking directly in the cooker. or 3 whistles if cooking in a bowl placed inside the cooker. You can cook this in a pot as well till soft.
- When the pressure goes off. Open the lid. Mango dal must be soft cooked. You can lightly mash if you like it.
Tempering mamidikaya pappu
- Add ghee or oil to a pan and heat.
- Next add mustard, cumin and garlic. When they begin to sizzle, add curry leaves and red chili or curd chilies. Fry till they turn crisp. Add hing (optional) and turmeric.
- Pour this to the mamidikaya pappu and stir.
- Serve mango dal with rice or chapathi
How to make mamidikaya pappu or mango dal recipe
1. You can use a single variety of dal or mixed varieties like moong dal, toor dal. I used moong dal and toor dal in equal quantities. Wash dal thoroughly till the water runs clear. Drain off the water and add chopped mango, green chilies and salt.
2. Pour water and pressure cook for 2 to 3 whistles or you can cook in a pot till soft.
3. When the pressure goes down, mash the dal to smooth if you like smooth dal. Skip mashing if you like coarse texture.
4. Heat ghee in a pan. Add cumin and mustard. When they begin to sizzle, add garlic, ginger and green chilies(optional). Next add in curry leaves and red chilies.
5. When the leaves turn crisp, add turmeric and hing.
6. Pour this to the dal and mix.
Serve mango dal with rice,papad, yogurt or rasam.