Gongura pappu is one of the delicious pappu recipe from Andhra cuisine. Red sorrel leaves are called as gongura in telugu. Dal and gongura cooked together makes this tangy dal gongura pappu. It is served with plain rice, ghee, pickle and papad or its variations. It can also be served with phulka or any rotti like ragi roti or multi grain roti.
Gongura is said to be rich in iron and other minerals, hence it is often used by many in various dishes. Few other gongura recipes from andhra cuisine are
There are different ways of making gongura pappu. A quick and easy method is to cook together gongura, pappu, onion and chili . Add salt and mash everything well and season it.
Another method is to cook dal separately till soft. Cook gongura separately and then mix both. Add the poppu or seasoning.
The third method which i have shared in the step by photos is the way i like to make, since gongura is not overcooked, gongura pappu tastes very good this way and the nutrients are also retained. The dal is also more flavorful this way.
Recipe of gongura pappu below
Gongura pappu recipe | Andhra pappu recipe | Gongura dal
Ingredients (1 cup = 240ml )
- ¾ cup dal / kandhi pappu (can use half moong dal and tur dal)
- 1 cup gongura leaves chopped (measured after chopping)
- 1 onion medium
- 1 green chili slit (optional)
- 1 pinch turmeric
- Oil or ghee as needed
- ½ tsp cumin
- ¼ tsp mustard
- Red chili broken
- Pinch hing
- 1 to 2 garlic pods
- 1 sprig curry leaves
- Salt as needed
- Curd chilies few (optional)
How to make the recipe
- Wash dal and cook with 2 cups of water until smooth or for 2 to 3 whistles.
- Soak gongura leaves in salted water for some time. Wash them and drain aside.
- When the pressure goes off, open the lid and mash the dal if you desire smooth dal. Else skip mashing th dal if you prefer coarse dal.
- Chop gongura finely, slice onions, slit chilli and add them to the dal along with salt.
- Cook until the leaves are fully cooked.
- Heat a pan with ghee or oil. Add cumin, mustard, garlic and red chili, curd chili. when the spices begin to splutter, add curry leaves and hing. Switch off the stove and pour this to the dal. you can set aside the curd chilies. Garnish just before serving to keep the crunch.
method 2 of making gongura pappu
- Cook dal, onions, chili and gongura together with 2 1/2 cups water for 2 to 3 whistles.
- Season gongura pappu with seasoning ingredients.
How to make gongura pappu recipe
1. Pluck gongura, add them to a large bowl filled with salted water. Leave it for a while for the mud or dirt to settle down at the bottom. Rinse several times in fresh water and drain them.
2. Wash dal and cook with 2 cups water till fully cooked.
3. I pressure cook for one whistle in a pressure pan. Some cookers require 2 to 3 whistles to cook dal well.
4. I like to mash the dal to smooth. If you like coarse dal, just leave it. But make sure dal has cooked well.
5. Add chopped gongura, slit chilies, turmeric and onions.
6. Cook until gongura is completely cooked.
7. Add ghee or oil to a pan and heat up on a medium heat. Allow cumin , mustard to splutter. Then add red chilies, curd chilies (optional), garlic, curry leaves and hing. Saute until the curry leaves turn crisp.
8. Add it to dal.
Serve gongura pappu with rice or phulka.