vanjaram vepudu or vanjaram fish fry recipe A simple fish fry that requires very few ingredients and can be prepared easily. Fresh fish is lightly marinated with spices. Covered and simmered on a very low heat or flame for the fish to absorb flavors. Then roasted to perfection.
Using ghee and lot of curry leaves makes this fish aromatic and tastier. We do not use too much of garam masala for fish fry else the flavor of fish is lost. To make the best vanjaram vepudu, i chose fresh fish that is firm and odorless.
To make vanjaram fish fry, if you do not prefer to use ghee, you can use oil. I have used a fish steak weighing around 200 grams, you can increase the other ingredients proportionately if you are preparing larger quantity of fish.
How to make spicy vanjaram fish fry with step by step photos
1. Wash fish under running water. If you are using frozen fish or it has odor, you can pour 1 tbsp vinegar to the fish and wash off. Drain off the water thoroughly
2. Marinate the fish with ingredients mentioned under marination.
3. Heat a pan with ghee and add curry leaves. Saute till the curry leaves turn crisp
4. Place the fish in the pan.
5. Cover it and cook on a very low heat for 2 to 3 mins.
6. Flip it to the other side gently, it will be tender take care not to break. Cover again and cook for another 2 to 3 mins.
7. Open the lid. It will ooze out moisture. Increase the flame slightly. Roast till all the moisture evaporates and it turns slightly golden.
8. Flip again and roast on the other side. If desired you can add little more red chili powder and garam masala to the vanjaram fish fry.
Garnish and serve hot with rice.
Vanjaram fish fry recipe or vanjaram vepudu below
Ingredients (1 cup = 240ml )
- 1 to 2 sprigs curry leaves , fresh
- 2 tsps Ghee (clarified butter) or oil
How to make the recipe
- Wash fish and drain it.
- Add all the marination ingredients to a bowl and marinate the fish.
- Heat a pan with oil or ghee. Fry curry leaves until they turn crisp.
- Add the fish to the pan.
- On a very low flame, cover and cook for 2 to 3 mins. Flip to the other side carefully. Cook covered again for 2 to 3 mins.
- You see a lot of moisture, switch the flame to slightly high till the fish is golden roasted and all the moisture should evaporate. Repeat flipping and roasting. Adjust by adding more red chili or garam masala powder.
- serve vanjaram vepudu with rice
NUTRITION (estimation only)
Alternative quantities provided in the recipe card are for 1x only, original recipe.
If you are new to cooking, follow my detailed step by step photo instructions for best results.