Vegetable salad recipe – Vegetable salad is made almost daily at home for lunch for myself and my 4 year old son. Without eating a bowl of freshly made vegetable salad our meal is incomplete. This is one of the habits I picked up from my mum and continued it for years now. Since phulka or millet rotis are made for lunch in my mum’s home, she makes a salad or a variety of kosambari to go as a side along with a dal or curry.
Vegetable salad helps to digest a meal better and adds nutrition to the meal. Though there are many ways of making this, the one i make is just simple with whatever veggies i have.
During the winters I prefer to use a spoon of extra virgin olive oil, sesame seeds, little yellow mustard powder and a dash of coarsely crushed pepper. During the hot days, i just use lemon juice.
Vegetables that go well to make a vegetable salad are carrots, cucumber, tomatoes, cabbage, chili, and purple onions. Grated capsicum, beetroot or bottle gourd too go well. Mint and coriander leaves add flavor.
You can also add slightly sauteed spinach or methi leaves to the vegetable salad.
Ingredients (1 cup = 240ml )
- ½ cup cucumber
- ¼ cup carrots
- ¼ cup onions ( or as needed)
- 1 tomato (small ripe)
- 1 green chili (or pepper powder as needed)
- 1/8 tsp salt (as needed)
- 1 tsp lemon juice (as needed)
- ¼ cup mint coriander leaves or 8 to 10 fresh mint leaves or pudina
- 1/4 cup cabbage ( shredded)
- 1/4 cup beetroot (grated)
- 1/4 cup bottle gourd (grated)
- 1 tsp olive oil (or any cold pressed oil)
- 1 pinch yellow mustard powder
- 1 tsp sesame seeds
How to make the recipe
- Wash all the vegetables thoroughly under running water. Wipe them dry
- Peel and chop them to bite size pieces.
- Add all the ingredients to a bowl and toss.
- Serve vegetable salad immediately with any meal.
NUTRITION (estimation only)
To remove the strong smell from cabbage, shred it. Add little more lemon juice. Set aside for a while.
Drain off excess lemon juice if any, before adding to the other veggies otherwise the salad turns sour.
Apple cider vinegar can also be used instead of lemon juice.
Alternative quantities provided in the recipe card are for 1x only, original recipe.
If you are new to cooking, follow my detailed step by step photo instructions for best results.