Sprouts salad recipe – 10 minutes super quick protein packed, healthy & delicious salad made with sprouts, cornflakes, fresh veggies, lemon & herbs. Though making sprouts is easy, it is not a regular affair at home. But when ever I sprout the legumes, we love to enjoy a bowl of crunchy salad for a snack or weekend breakfast.
There are different ways to make sprouts salad.
Growing up my mom would make sprouts salad using raw sprouted kala chana and sprouted green gram. Most times we would eat them with the roti or as a side in the meal.
She also would make steamed sprouts salad with matki or moth beans. For some reason we don’t eat raw moth bean sprouts.
The recipe shared here is a raw sprouts salad that involves no cooking. So all you need to do is just prepare the veggies and herbs. Then toss all of them together.
The most important thing to make a sprouts salad is using fresh and preferably homegrown sprouts. I always ensure to make the mung bean sprouts at home as I do not want to risk by using store bought ones.
We try to include some kind of raw foods in our diet on a regular basis. This salad is great for a weekend breakfast as you don’t have to toil in the kitchen.
Use whatever veggies you like in your salad. We prefer the onions, tomatoes, cucumber and carrots. Sometimes I also add fresh coconut.
My kids love change every time so I add some cornflakes or even wheat flakes in this salad. Some times they enjoy this as a stuffing in kathi rolls.
Sprouts Salad Recipe
Ingredients (1 cup = 240ml )
- ¾ cup sprouts (sprouted green gram)
- 1 tbsp onions chopped
- 1 small tomato chopped
- ¼ cup cucumber finely chopped
- 1 small carrot chopped or grated
- 1 small green chili (deseeded & chopped) or crushed pepper
- 2 tbsps coriander leaves or celery chopped finely
- salt as needed
- 1 tbsp lemon juice as needed or apple cider
- ¼ tsp chaat masala for flavor (optional)
- 1 tbsp coconut fresh, grated or finely chopped
- ½ cup cornflakes or wheat flakes (optional)
- ¼ inch ginger grated (helps in digestion)
- 1 sprig fresh mint leaves (optional, aids digestion)
How to make the recipe
- Wash and soak green gram or mung bean in boiled and cooled water for 8 hours.
- Drain off and rinse them in clean (drinking) water.
- Add them to a container or a mason jar.
- OR Add the moist beans to a moist muslin or cheese cloth. Make a knot.
- Place it in a bowl and partially cover it.
- Set them in a warm and dark place. Depending on the weather conditions, they sprout.
- If the cloth dries up, sprinkle some water on the cloth to make the beans moist. Do not pour lot of water otherwise they begin to rot.
- Sprouts will be ready anywhere in between 6 hours to 2 days.
How to make sprouts salad
- Rinse and peel the carrots, onions & cucumber. Chop them along with tomatoes and chilies.
- Rinse the coriander leaves and mint. Chop finely. Grate ginger if using.
- Measure ¾ cup sprouts and add them to a serving bowl.
- Add all the chopped veggies and then sprinkle some salt.
- Squeeze in the lemon juice and toss all of them.
- Serve sprouts salad immediately.
NUTRITION (estimation only)
If you are a beginner or new to Indian cooking, I highly suggest you to check the supporting step by step photos for best results. Step by step photos with description available below after the recipe card.
How to make sprouts salad
1.I sprouted the green gram at home following this mung bean sprouts recipe. For a sweeter taste you can use them up when they just begin to sprout.
2. If making for the entire family, then you can also use a food processor or a chopper to grate or chop the veggies. These were the ingredients I used.
3. I just tossed up all of them. You can also add some chaat masala if you like.
Serve sprouts salad immediately.