Egg salad recipe – Make boiled egg salad in 2 easy ways with & without mayonnaise. A classic egg salad is made with hard boiled eggs, mayonnaise, onions, herbs, black pepper and mustard. It can be served over toasted bread or as a filling in wraps, sandwiches or rolls. Making a creamy, flavorful and delicious egg salad is super easy.
In this post I have shared 2 ways to make egg salad. The first one uses mayonnaise and the second one is made without mayo but uses lots of fresh chopped veggies.
Mayonnaise is the main ingredient that gives a creamy and silky texture to the egg salad. However if you do not prefer it, you can use the substitutes which I have mentioned below. Alternately use the second recipe.
Making this takes just 5 mins if you have the perfectly boiled eggs ready. This makes for a great easy breakfast even on a busy day.
1. Rinse the eggs well under running water and place them in a pot. Pour enough water to cover them by 1 to 2 inches. Bring the water to a boil on a medium heat. Let the water boil for 2 mins. Cover and turn off the heat. Let the eggs sit in the hot water for 15 mins.
Alternate way is to boil until you see cracks on the eggs. If you are using first born or very fresh eggs then they won’t cook if you follow the first method. So follow this one instead.
Recipe 1 – Egg salad
2. After 15 mins, remove the eggs and keep them in cold water for a while. Remove the shells.
3. Chop them to tiny cubes and add to a mixing bowl.
4. Add chopped onions, garlic, herbs, mustard and chilies .
5. Add mayo or strained curd (hung curd).
6. Mix well. If using hung curd, add some salt. Taste and adjust the seasoning as desired.
Serve the creamy egg salad over toasted bread or wrap it in roti.
Recipe 2 – Mayo-free egg salad
Ingredients – Serves 2
- 1 small onion chopped
- ½ cup cabbage
- 1 small carrot grated
- 1 green chilli chopped
- handful of chopped coriander leaves
- black pepper powder
- salt as needed
- ½ to ¾ tsp chaat masala (adjust to taste)
1. Rinse and chop onions and cabbage. Add 1 tsp lemon juice and set aside until the eggs are done boiling. This step is optional. Adding lemon juice removes the pungency of onions and strong smell from cabbage.
2. Add them to a mixing bowl with grated carrots and chili. Give a good mix.
3. Cube the eggs to desired sizes. I do not chop very small, as my kids don’t like mushy yolk in this egg salad. Add half of the eggs, sprinkle pepper, salt and chaat masala.
4. Layer rest of the veggies and the eggs. Add chopped coriander leaves or parsley. Sprinkle a bit more of pepper powder and extra virgin olive oil or virgin coconut oil.
Cover the bowl and gently toss the salad. Delicious and healthy boiled egg salad is ready. This is best served immediately.
Using perfectly boiled eggs is very important to make great tasting salad. Avoid overcooking the eggs as it affects the texture and taste. If you are new to boiling eggs perfectly, check the step by step photos below.
A typical egg salad always has mayonnaise as it gives a creamy texture. If you do not prefer mayo, then substitute with cream cheese or strained yogurt. I have tried making with both of these and my kids loved them more than the one with mayonnaise.
Fresh herbs like celery, parsley, chives or coriander leaves go well in this. However depending on what is available locally you can use them here.
Mustard is another key ingredient used to spice up the egg salad. If you do not have the mustard sauce, then you may use ground mustard seeds like the way I used. Just note that ground mustard is much stronger than the mustard sauce so use only a little as mentioned in the recipe below.
Black pepper is used for heat. You may also use red chilli flakes.
Boiled eggs are unsafe at room temperature after 2 hours. So use up the salad within 2 hours or keep it refrigerated.
How to make healthy egg salad
You can make this boiled egg salad healthy by skipping the mayo completely from the recipe. We don’t eat mayo often at home so most times I make the egg salad without it. This mayo-free egg salad is my kids’ favorite and it goes very well in sandwiches and roti rolls.
If you are wondering how to make this? Just use lots and lots of veggies as you would use for any other vegetable salad. Then add the boiled & chopped eggs to it. A dash of lemon juice, salt, green chilies & lots of fresh herbs is all that is needed. I also sprinkle some olive oil or avocado oil to flavor up.
This is so good inside the wraps or kathi rolls. I smear some green chutney or yogurt sauce over the rotis and then put this salad inside.
Egg salad recipe
Ingredients (US cup = 240ml )
- 3 boiled eggs
- 2 tablespoons onions or green onions fine chopped
- 2 tablespoons coriander leaves or parsley fine chopped
- 1 garlic clove minced finely
- 3 tablespoons mayonnaise or strained yogurt or cream cheese
- ¼ to ½ teaspoon black pepper (adjust to taste)
- ½ to 1 teaspoon red chili flakes optional (use for extra heat)
- ⅛ teaspoon ground mustard seeds or 1 tsp to tbsp mustard sauce (adjust)
- 1 teaspoon dried herbs (I use Italian herbs)
Preparation – boiling eggs
- Slowly add eggs to a pot . Pour water enough to cover them by 1 to 2 inches.
- Bring the water to a boil. Continue to boil the eggs for 1 to 2 mins. Turn off the stove and rest them in the water for 15 mins.
- After 15 mins, drain the water and cover the eggs with cold water. Remove the shells and chop them to small pieces. Check the pictures below.
How to make egg salad
- Chop the onions and coriander leaves. Mince the garlic.
- Add the chopped eggs, onions, fresh herbs, dried herbs, mustard, garlic and mayonnaise.
- Mix all of them and taste test it. Add red chili flakes and salt if needed. If needed add more mustard.
- Serve egg salad over toasted bread or in wraps.
Alternative quantities provided in the recipe card are for 1x only, original recipe.
For best results follow my detailed step-by-step photo instructions and tips above the recipe card.
NUTRITION INFO (estimation only)
© Swasthi’s Recipes
This post is from the Archives. First published in June 2015, republished in June 2020.