Zucchini stir fry made under 15 mins. This stir fried zucchini tastes delicious and goes well with just anything. It can also be used as a filling in wraps, kathi rolls and sandwiches. It is minimally spiced and flavored so it is kids’ friendly too. This Zucchini Stir Fry is vegan and can be gluten-free if you leave out soya sauce or use your favorite gluten-free sauce.
Since this recipe is vegetarian it does not call for any eggs or meat. However you may simply stir in and scramble eggs at the last stage to add some protein.
My family loves simple vegetarian sides. This zucchini stir fry goes often on the dinner table because it is easy and is ready in no time. Here are the ingredients you need for this recipe:
Zucchini: Choose firm and fresh zucchini, avoid softer ones. Soft zucchini have soft pulp inside & that’s inedible.
Onions: Onion can be substituted with spring onions or shallots. You can also leave them out completely.
Vegetables: I have used bell peppers here as we like their flavor with zucchini. You may leave them or add any other veggies like mushrooms, carrots or thin sliced butternut squash or pumpkin. If using pumpkin or butternut stir fry until slightly tender, then add the zucchini.
Flavoring: Zucchini stir fried on a high flame with some oil, garlic, bell peppers and black pepper smells great. It doesn’t need any other flavoring. For a change I use different spices and sauces. Here are some tried and tested ideas that we love:
You can use soya sauce, vegetarian mushroom sauce, hoisin sauce or schezwan sauce for flavor variations. Steak seasoning or/& garam masala also go very well in this recipe.
Steak seasoning is just a mix of onion powder, garlic powder, paprika, cumin and coriander.
For spice & heat: Crushed black pepper, green chilies or dried chilies can be used to impart heat to the dish.
A wok or a cast iron skillet works good for this stir fry.
How to Stir Fry Zucchini (Stepwise Photos)
Rinse all the veggies under running water. Fine chop ginger and garlic. Slice onions & bell peppers thin. You can chop zucchini however you like. I prefer to chop them to 1/4 inch thick. If you slice them too thin they will overcook and turn too soft in no time.
1. On a medium flame, heat 1¼ tablespoon oil in a wok or wide skillet. Add ¾ tablespoon chopped garlic (1 garlic clove) and ½ teaspoon chopped ginger (½ inch ginger peeled). Fry for just 20 to 30 seconds.
2. Add the sliced onions (1 small onion) and fry until transparent, for 3 mins.
3. Add ½ cup sliced bell peppers and stir fry for 30 seconds.
4. Add 1½ cups zucchini (1 medium) and stir fry just for 2 to 3 mins. Do not over cook them, they should be half done and crunchy.
5. Add 1 teaspoon soya sauce, 1 teaspoon vinegar and ¾ teaspoon black pepper or steak seasoning or half teaspoon garam masala. Stir fry just for 30 seconds until you begin to smell it good. Turn off the stove and add salt to taste. Mix it. You can adjust salt and spices to your taste.
6. Sprinkle toasted sesame seeds or roasted and crushed peanuts.
Serve stir fried zucchini as a side or wrap it in your rolls or sandwiches.
Ingredients (US cup = 240ml )
- 1½ cups zucchini (250 grams)
- 1 small onion sliced
- ½ cup bell peppers (sliced thin)
- ¾ tablespoon garlic chopped (1 clove)
- ½ teaspoon ginger chopped (optional)
- 1¼ tablespoons oil (sesame or olive oil)
- 1 teaspoon soya sauce / tamari/hoisin sauce or vegetarian mushroom sauce
- 1 teaspoon vinegar (rice vinegar or apple cider vinegar)
- ¾ teaspoon black pepper (or steak seasoning or ½ tsp garam masala, read notes)
- 1 teaspoon toasted sesame seeds or 2 tbsps roasted & crushed peanuts
- Rinse all the veggies. Slice onions and bell peppers thin. Chop zucchini to ¼ inch thickness. Chop ginger and garlic.
How to Make Zucchini Stir Fry
- Pour oil to a hot pan. Stir fry ginger and garlic for 30 seconds.
- Add onions and fry until transparent. Then stir fry bell peppers for 30 seconds.
- Next add zucchini and stir fry on a high heat until half done yet crunchy. Do not over cook as they tend to turn too soft.
- Then pour soya sauce and vinegar. Add black pepper /steak seasoning/garam masala. Stir fry just for 30 to 60 seconds.
- Turn off the heat and sprinkle toasted sesame seeds or roasted & crushed peanuts. Taste test and sprinkle salt if you want.
- Serve zucchini stir fry as a side or in your wraps and sandwiches.
- steak seasoning is a combination of garlic powder, onion powder, black pepper, paprika, coriander and cumin powder. You may make your own for this recipe
Alternative quantities provided in the recipe card are for 1x only, original recipe.
For best results follow my detailed step-by-step photo instructions and tips above the recipe card.
NUTRITION INFO (estimation only)
© Swasthi’s Recipes
I’m Swasthi Shreekanth, the recipe developer, food photographer & food writer behind Swasthi’s Recipes. My aim is to help you cook great Indian food with my time-tested recipes. After 2 decades of experience in practical Indian cooking I started this blog to help people cook better & more often at home. Whether you are a novice or an experienced cook I am sure Swasthi’s Recipes will assist you to enhance your cooking skills. More about me
Follow Swasthi’s Recipes