Sweet potato stir fry recipe – how to make sweet potato stir fry or chilakada dumpa fry. Chilakada dumpa is the name of sweet potato in my native language telugu. I use them to make sweet potato curry or a pulusu mixed with potato or even with drumsticks. Kids love sweet potato but i always run out of ideas to make something good. This sweet potato stir fry is one of our recent additions to the list and we love this more than the potato fry for the health benefits it provides.
Sweet potato stir fry is made simple using the basic ingredients and gets done under 25 to 30 minutes. This mildly sweet,spicy and aromatic side dish pairs well with plain rice and any kind of rasam. You may also like to check these tomato rasam and rasam without rasam powder recipes to pair with this sweet potato dish. I have not boiled the sweet potatoes separately, rather preferred to directly stir fry it and then sprinkled the garam masala.
Sweet potato stir fry recipe below
Sweet potato stir fry recipe | Chilakada dumpa fry | Sweet potato recipes
Ingredients (1 cup = 240ml )
- 2 cups sweet potato sliced
- 1 onion large , chopped
- 1 sprig curry leaves or mint leaves/pudina
- 1/2 tsp grated ginger
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp mustard (optional)
- 1/4 to 1/2 tsp red chili powder
- 1/2 tsp garam masala (adjust to suit your taste)
- salt a needed
- turmeric little
How to make the recipe
- Wash sweet potatoes, peel the skin and slice them and add to salted water.
- Add oil to a non stick and heat. Add mustard and cumin.
- When they begin to splutter, add grated ginger, curry leaves.Fry until the ginger smells good.
- Add the onions and fry until lightly golden. Drain the sweet potato slices and add them to the pan. Sprinkle turmeric.
- Fry for about 3 to 4 minutes, stirring.
- Cover and cook on low flame till the sweet potatoes turn soft, stir to prevent burning.
- When the sweet potatoes are cooked fully, sprinkle salt, red chili powder and garam masala.
- Fry till the masala smells good and is blended well.Do not over fry.
- Switch off and garnish with coriander leaves.
- Serve sweet potato stir fry with rice and rasam.
How to make sweet potato stir fry recipe
1. Peel the sweet potatoes and cut it to half lengthwise if you have large ones. Then cut to thin slices.Add them to salted water immediately.
2. Heat a nonstick pan with oil, add mustard, cumin. When they crackle add grated ginger and curry leaves. Fry till the ginger smells good.
3. Add onions, sprinkle salt.
4. Fry till they turn lightly golden. Don’t need to brown them.
5. Drain off the water completely from sweet potatoes and add them to the pan. Sprinkle turmeric.
6. Fry for about 3 to 5 minutes,stirring evenly.
7. Cover and cook on a low flame till they are cooked fully and turn tender. Keep stirring in between.
8. Ensure the sweet potato is cooked fully before sprinkling red chili powder, garam masala and little more salt. Adjust spices and salt now.
9. Stir and fry till the masala is blended well. Do not over fry otherwise the masala gets burnt.
Garnish sweet potato stir fry with coriander leaves. Serve with plain rice and tamarind rasam