Sweet potato stir fry made in Indian style with spices and curry leaves. This mildly sweet, spicy and aromatic side dish goes well as a side in any meal. I make sweet potato curry and pulusu very often at home. Sometimes add them to sambar as well. This sweet potato stir fry is another favorite with my kids and they just love it.
Sweet potato stir fry is simple to make and uses only pantry staples. A few whole spices like mustard, cumin and fresh ginger or garlic is used for tempering. Ground spices like red chilli powder, turmeric and garam masala is used for heat and aroma.
A spring of curry leaves will enhance the flavors. Alternately you can use some mint leaves.
1. Peel the sweet potatoes. If you have large ones cut them to half lengthwise. Then slice them thin like potato chips. Add them to slightly salted water immediately. This step avoids them from discoloring and burning. Chop onions and ginger.
How to make sweet potato stir fry
2. Heat a nonstick pan with oil. Then add mustard & cumin. When they splutter add grated ginger and curry leaves. Fry till the ginger smells good.
3. Add onions, sprinkle salt. Fry till they turn lightly golden. Don’t need to brown them.
4. Drain off the water completely from sweet potatoes and add them to the pan. Sprinkle turmeric.
5. Fry for about 3 to 5 minutes, stirring evenly. Cover and cook on a low flame till they are cooked fully and turn tender. Keep stirring in between.
6. Ensure the sweet potatoes are cooked fully before sprinkling red chili powder, garam masala and little more salt. Adjust spices and salt now.
9. Stir and fry till the masala is blended well. If the sweet potatoes look too dry then you may add little oil at this stage. Do not over fry otherwise the masala gets burnt.
Garnish sweet potato stir fry with coriander leaves. This time we served it with plain rice and tamarind rasam.
I have sliced the sweet potatoes like we do for chips. This way they cook quickly and evenly. If you have a processor that can slice then do us it. You may also dice to equal sizes and use.
Keeping the chopped sweet potatoes in water is important. They absorb some moisture and don’t burn while stir frying.
Ensure you use a large wide pan to prevent them from clumping up.
I use onions here. You may skip if you don’t prefer. But caramelized onions taste good and add flavor.
Sweet potato stir fry
Ingredients (1 cup = 240ml )
- 2 cups sweet potato sliced (250 to 300 grams)
- 1 onion chopped (refer notes)
- 1 sprig curry leaves or mint leaves/pudina
- ½ teaspoon grated ginger
- 2 tablespoons oil (½ tbsp more if needed to use later)
- ½ teaspoon cumin
- ½ teaspoon mustard (optional)
- ½ teaspoon red chili powder (adjust to taste)
- ½ teaspoon garam masala (adjust to taste)
- ½ to ¾ teaspoon salt (adjust to taste)
- ⅛ teaspoon turmeric
How to make the recipe
- Wash sweet potatoes, peel the skin and slice them and add to salted water. To make salt water add ¼ tsp salt to 3 cups water. Keep them in water for at least 15 mins.
- Add oil to a non stick and heat. Add mustard and cumin.
- When they begin to splutter, add grated ginger & curry leaves. Fry until the ginger smells good.
- Add the onions and fry until lightly golden. Drain the sweet potato slices and add them to the pan. Sprinkle turmeric.
- Fry for about 3 to 4 minutes on a medium heat, stirring often.
- Cover and cook on low flame till the sweet potatoes turn soft. Stir occasionally to prevent burning.
- When the sweet potatoes are cooked fully, sprinkle salt, red chili powder and garam masala.
- Fry till the masala smells good and is blended well. You may add little more oil at this stage if the spice powders don't blend well. Do not over fry the sweet potatoes.
- Garnish with coriander leaves. Serve sweet potato stir fry with rice and rasam.
NUTRITION (estimation only)
- You may skip the onions but caramelized onions in the dish taste good with amazing flavors.
- Use a wide large pan.
- Dice the sweet potatoes if you are unable to slice them.
Alternative quantities provided in the recipe card are for 1x only, original recipe.
For best results follow my detailed step-by-step photo instructions and tips.