Broccoli stir fry recipe | Broccoli curry | Indian broccoli recipes
Broccoli stir fry recipe – 3 Simple and quick Indian broccoli recipes made with basic ingredients. Broccoli is one of those veggies which is rarely used in Indian cuisine. This Indian style potato & broccoli stir fry tastes delicious with mild flavors of spice powders, garlic and chili. It goes well with almost any thing – rice, roti or even as a side.
Broccoli is rich in dietary fiber, vitamins, minerals and more importantly anti-oxidants and has anticancer properties. I use it often to make stir fry, pasta, fried rice and even to make chutney.
Here are more broccoli recipes which I shared earlier,
Spicy Broccoli chutney
Broccoli corn stir fry
I have shared 3 recipes in this post. Please scroll down to find the second & third recipes.
To make the first broccoli stir fry I have used potato to add some flavor. You can substitute it with green peas, sweet potatoes or even capsicum.
More Vegetable recipes
Baby corn fry
Zucchini stir fry
Preparation – Indian broccoli recipe
1. Heat oil in a pan. Next add in jeera and allow them to sizzle. Then add in garlic and green chilies.
2. Saute for 30 seconds and add potatoes. Fry for a minute.
3. Cover and cook on a low to medium heat until al dente. Stir in between if needed. It took about 5 to 6 mins for me. If they don’t cook quickly you can also sprinkle some water.
4. Check if the potatoes are done. Do not cook them too soft, they must just be cooked.
5. Next add in turmeric, chili powder, garam masala, cumin and if desired coriander powder.
6. Mix well and fry for 30 seconds. Quickly sprinkle 2 to 3 tbsp water.
How to make broccoli stir fry
7. Then add broccoli and saute for a minute.
8. Sprinkle some salt and little oil if needed.
9. Stir well and fry just for 3 to 4 mins. Avoid cooking broccoli for too long until it turns too soft. Turn off when i turns tender yet crunchy.
Sprinkle sesame seeds and lemon juice if desired.
Serve broccoli stir fry with rice, roti or just as a side.
Recipe 2 – Broccoli sabzi or stir fry recipe
2 heaped cups broccoli florets
1/2 to 1 cup capsicum or potatoes or peas (optional)
½ tsp cumin
¾ to 1 tsp ginger grated or ginger garlic paste
Oil as needed
1 small onion sliced thinly or chopped finely
1 medium tomato chopped finely (deseed if you prefer)
Salt and turmeric as needed
½ tsp Red chili powder
½ to ¾ tsp garam masala
Few roasted peanuts crushed (optional)
How to make Indian broccoli recipe
1. Heat 3 to 4 cups of water in a pot, add salt and add the florets. Leave them for about 5 minutes. This helps hidden worms come to the water. Drain off the water and rinse them well under running water. Drain them and set aside.
2. Heat Oil in a pan. Add cumin. When they begin to splutter, add ginger or ginger garlic paste. Fry until it turns aromatic.
3. Add sliced onions and fry until transparent.
4. Add tomatoes, turmeric and fry until the tomatoes turn completely mushy. You can also add garam masala and chili powder now.
making broccoli curry
5. If using potato, add them now and fry until half cooked. Add broccoli, capsicum or peas. On a low flame fry until all the veggies get cooked. If needed cover and cook.
6. Sprinkle garam masala, red chili powder and roasted crushed peanuts and then fry for just one to 2 minutes. Peanuts can also be added just before serving to keep the crunch.
Serve broccoli sabzi with roti or rice.
Recipe 3 – Broccoli stir fry with almonds or coconut
2 ½ cups broccoli florets or minced
¾ cup onions chopped finely
2 tbsps oil
1 sprig curry leaves
1 green chili slit
¼ tsp cumin/jeera
1/8 tsp mustard
1 tsp ginger garlic paste
1/3 tsp red chili powder
¾ to 1 tsp garam masala or kitchen king masala
10 to 12 almonds (blanched preferred) or 3 tbsps of fresh coconut
salt to taste
1. Add oil to a pan and heat it. Add cumin & mustard. Allow them to sizzle, add curry leaves and fry.
2. Time to add chopped onions and fry till they are lightly golden and done.
3. Add ginger garlic paste and fry till the raw smell disappears.
4. Add broccoli florets, sprinkle salt and fry till for 2 to 3 mins.
5. Add red chili powder, garam masala. Stir well. Cover and cook for 2 to 3 mins.
6. Step 6 and 7 are optional. If you don’t like to use almonds or coconut you can just skip this. Make a fine paste of the almonds by adding little water to the blender. Or alternately you can blend 3 tbsp of coconut with 2 tbsp of water. There is also a reader’s comment that even coconut milk tasted good instead of almonds. So shared the tip here.
7. Pour almond paste or coconut paste to the pan. Stir fry for 2 to 3 mins or till it becomes fragrant and cooked. Adjust salt as desired.
Serve broccoli with rice or chapati.
Indian broccoli stir fry recipe
Broccoli stir fry
For best results follow the step-by-step photos above the recipe card
Ingredients (US cup = 240ml )
- 1 to 2 medium potato cubed – half inch – ½ to ¾ cup
- 150 grams broccoli florets 2 to 2½ cups florets
- 1½ to 2 tbsp oil
- ½ tsp cumin or jeera
- 1 tbsp garlic chopped (not too small)
- 1 green chili chopped,optional
- 1/8 tsp turmeric or haldi
- ¼ to ½ tsp red chili powder or use as needed
- ½ tsp garam masala , use more if desired
- ¼ tsp cumin powder or jeera powder ,optional
- ¼ tsp coriander powder optional
- salt as needed
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp toasted sesame seeds or 2 tbsp skinned roasted peanuts
- Cut the broccoli florets to the sizes you prefer. Add them to warm water and leaves for 2 to 3 mins. Drain and set aside.
- Wash, peel and wash potatoes. Chop them to half inch pieces and keep them immersed in a bowl of water until used.
- Chop garlic and green chilies. Set aside.
How to make broccoli stir fry
- Heat oil in a pan. Add cumin. When they begin to crackle add chopped garlic and chillies
- Saute just for 30 seconds to 1 min. Do not brown or fry further otherwise they will be burnt later.
- Drain water from the potatoes and add them to the pan. Stir fry for a minute and cook covered on a medium heat until done al dente.
- Check if they are al dente, just cooked and not too soft.
- Add turmeric, chili, garam masala, coriander powder and cumin powder.
- Mix and saute just for 30 seconds. Sprinkle 2 to 3 tbsp water.
- Add the broccoli florets and stir fry for 1 minute.
- Next 1 tsp oil and sprinkle salt as desired. Toss and fry until the broccoli is done to your liking. Avoid over cooking, remove from the pan when it is tender. Broccoli takes only 3 to 5 mins to cook.
- Remove potato broccoli stir fry to a serving bowl. Sprinkle some sesame seeds and lemon juice. Serve with rice, roti or as a side.
Alternative quantities provided in the recipe card are for 1x only, original recipe.
For best results follow my detailed step-by-step photo instructions and tips above the recipe card.
NUTRITION INFO (estimation only)
© Swasthi’s Recipes
I’m Swasthi Shreekanth, the recipe developer, food photographer & food writer behind Swasthi’s Recipes. My aim is to help you cook great Indian food with my time-tested recipes. After 2 decades of experience in practical Indian cooking I started this blog to help people cook better & more often at home. Whether you are a novice or an experienced cook I am sure Swasthi’s Recipes will assist you to enhance your cooking skills. More about me
Follow Swasthi’s Recipes
Really like the recipes, easy to make , taste is too good really enjoyed eating
Thank you so much Sushma
Very nice recipes, really like it
This Canadian cook is wanting to know if the red chili powder required is meant to be the chili powder I use in Mexican dishes (not hot)or “cayenne” red pepper(hot)
Delicious recipe – just what I needed for a creative edge for the lonely broccoli in my fridge.
Hello Swasthi, I am a cancer patient and was asked to eat broccoli a lot. I just tried your stir fried broccoli with potatoes. It is so easy and you made it easier by step by step instructions. It looks so pleasing and turned up so tasty. I am sure going to try some of your other recipes. Thanks dear.
You are welcome! Happy to know the recipe helped. Thanks for leaving a comment.
Swastisk. .in my previous comment that is tell me…not tellemail ….hope you will understand
Yes I understood. You can check this link for all the cake recipes on the blog. To make an eggless cake you can start with this eggless chocolate cake. Hope this helps
Hello swastisk first of all thank you 💕for your recipie ..and can you please tellemail how can I make a perfect cake at home …share me some tips 😊
Great, I use your recipe whenever I have chance to cook for my family
Glad to know Singla
Tried the first one. came out yum. Thanks
It came out awesomely. I put it in between bread and added a slice of cheese and hot and sweet sauce. Delicious ?
Glad to know Pooja
Thanks for leaving a comment
Im always your fan
You are great
Thank you so much!
I tried broccoli with almonds, it’s very tasty. Thanks for sharing
Glad to know
I have now made this a few times. I love it. Fabulous depth to the flavours. Helps keep me warm here in Scotland. 🙂
Will be making again soon. This will be on my weekly planner. Thank you for sharing your wisdom and recipes.
Hi Karen, Glad to know! Thank you
Excellent and easy to do recipes. I am a great follower of your recipes and each one is exceptionally loved by ALL at home. My cooking craze has developed with trying your recipes.
Thank you so much for following! Very glad to know!
Sesame seeds needs to be roasted & added or without roasting
Use roasted sesame. I will update it in the recipe.
Great.. Thank you Swasthi
Very good & easy recipe…
Learnt something new.
I really liked all the three recipes of broccoli. ?
I usually use broccoli in soup, pasta and chicken broccoli. I’m gonna try there recipes for sure…. ❤️
Thanks much! Glad you liked them. Yes do try them.
Hi, Swasthi Shreekanth, Thank you very much for providing detailed method of “Broccoli recipe. It has come out very well and there was lot of appreciation from the visitors who had this. Credit should go to you.
You are welcome. Glad to know the food came out well. Thank you so much!
Hi Swasthi, After knowing this subji preparation, it is very to cook. I hope that it will be very tasty also. I will comment after tasting it…
Thank you. Yes do try it.
I usually use broccoli in veg biryani..but today I tried this curry and served it with jeera rice…curry was delicious!!! Thanks for the recipe.
Glad you liked it!
Thanks for the recipe for broccoli with potatoes! It was a pleasure to eat and my first to cook from your site. I will be returning for more great recipes!
You are welcome. Glad to know you liked it. Thanks for the comment.