Tofu stir fry recipe – Simple, easy, delicious and healthy tofu recipe made with mild spice powder, veggies and herbs. This dry tofu masala can be served as a side in any meal – with rice, roti or even bread.
Tofu is also known as bean curd and is made similar to the Indian paneer. Soya milk is coagulated and then pressed to get tofu blocks. Tofu is a good vegan alternate to paneer. It is rich in protein, amino acids and calcium.
Eating organic tofu in moderation has several health benefits. So we eat it a few times in a month to make a stir fry with vegetables. Sometimes I also use it to make sandwiches.
This simple Indian style tofu stir fry recipe is one of our favorites at home. It just takes about 20 mins to make & tastes delicious with a mild aroma of the garam masala. It can also be packed in a lunch box with some basmati rice or roti.
To make this recipe, make sure you use firm or extra firm tofu.
How to make Indian style tofu stir fry
1. Cube the tofu to desired sizes and saute in 1 tsp oil until crisp. Flip them and fry on both the sides.
2. When the tofu turns golden and crisp, remove to a plate.
3. Pour little more oil and add cumin. When they splutter add curry leaves these are optional.
4. Add chopped tomatoes and fry it turns soft.
5. Add red chilli powder, coriander powder and garam masala. Saute for another 1 to 2 mins until the masala smells good.
6. Then add cubed onions and bell peppers. Sprinkle some salt. Saute on a high flame for 2 to 4 mins. Do not overcook to retain the crunch in veggies.
7. Then add tofu. I also added little kasuri methi for flavor. Gently stir to coat the tofu with masala. If you prefer the tofu to be flavorful, then cover and cook for 2 mins. Sprinkle coriander leaves.
Serve tofu stir fry as a side.
Tofu stir fry recipe
Tofu stir fry recipe | Easy Indian style tofu stir fry | Indian tofu recipes
For best results follow the step-by-step photos above the recipe card
Ingredients (1 cup = 240ml )
Ingredients for tofu stir fry
- 1 ½ cups tofu (about 200 to 250 grams) extra firm tofu
- 1 tomato large , chopped finely
- 1 onion large , cubed and layers separated
- ½ cup bell peppers diced or capsicum
- 1 sprig curry leaves (optional)
- ½ tsp cumin or jeera
- ½ tsp ginger chopped or grated or ginger garlic paste
- ½ tsp red chili powder
- ¾ to 1 tsp coriander powder
- ½ to ¾ tsp garam masala
- 1 tbsp oil or as needed
- 2 tbsp Coriander leaves or cilantro chopped
Making tofu stir fry
- Heat oil in a wide pan, fry tofu till golden brown, set aside.
- In the same pan, add little more oil. Add cumin when it begins to splutter, add curry leaves and ginger. Sauté well until aromatic.
- Add tomatoes, salt, turmeric and fry till tomatoes turn fully mushy.
- Then add chili powder, garam masala and coriander powder. Sauté until the masala smells good.
- Next add onions, capsicum, mix well and fry on high for 2 to 4 minutes.
- Do not overcook, as they lose the crunch.
- Add tofu. Gently mix and cook covered for 2 mins on a low flame. This step makes the tofu flavorful. To keep the tofu crispy, just toss in the masala for a few mins.
- Add finely chopped coriander leaves.
- Serve tofu stir fry hot with roti, bread or rice.
NUTRITION (estimation only)
Alternative quantities provided in the recipe card are for 1x only, original recipe.
For best results follow my detailed step-by-step photo instructions and tips above the recipe card.
© Swasthi’s Recipes