Tofu stir fry made in Indian style with tofu and pantry staples. This super quick tofu recipe will help you whip up a healthy and delicious side dish that goes well in any meal. No matter how you pair it, with noodles, fried rice, plain rice, roti or even with bread, it tastes absolutely good! Wrap it in rotis, tortillas or parathas & pack it for an office or school meal.
Tofu is a good vegan alternate to paneer. It is rich in protein, amino acids and calcium. Eating organic tofu in moderation has several health benefits. So we eat it a few times in a month to make a stir fry with vegetables. Sometimes I also use it to make sandwiches.
If you are new to tofu, then this may help you. Tofu is also known as bean curd and is made similar to the Indian paneer. Firstly soya milk is coagulated and then drained off the excess whey. The solids are pressed and set to tofu blocks with varying levels of firmness or softness.
So in the markets we get silken, firm tofu and extra firm tofu. Choosing the right kind of tofu is essential depending on what you want to use it for. For this recipe, use extra firm tofu as it is perfect to stir fry and won’t break or get mushy.
This tofu stir fry is made in the simplest way by pan frying the tofu first until slightly crisp. Then spices are tempered in oil. Later tomatoes are cooked until soft and then it is spiced to make a spicy masala.
Lastly bell peppers and onions are sautéed in this masala for a short period to bring out the flavors. To finish off tofu is cooked just for 2 mins so it absorbs all of the flavors.
How to make Indian style tofu stir fry
1. Cube 200 to 250 grams tofu to desired sizes and saute in 1 tsp oil until crisp. Flip them half way and fry on both the sides.
2. When the tofu turns light golden and crisp, remove to a plate.
3. Pour 1 tablespoon more oil. Add ¼ to ½ teaspoon cumin seeds. When they splutter add curry leaves (optional) & ½ teaspoon garlic or ginger.
4. Add ¾ cup chopped tomatoes ( 1 large). Saute them until soft.
5. Add salt, ½ to ¾ teaspoon red chilli powder, ¾ to 1 teaspoon coriander powder and ½ to ¾ teaspoon garam masala. Saute for another 1 to 2 mins until the masala smells good.
6. Then add cubed onions and bell peppers. Saute on a high flame for 2 to 4 mins. Do not overcook to retain the crunch in veggies. You can add more or less onions and bell peppers to suit your taste.
7. Then add tofu. I also added 1 teaspoon crushed kasuri methi for flavor. Gently stir to coat the tofu with masala. If you prefer the tofu to be flavorful, then cover and cook for 2 mins. Sprinkle coriander leaves.
Serve tofu stir fry as a side.
Ingredients (US cup = 240ml )
- 1 ½ cups tofu (about 200 to 250 grams) extra firm tofu
- 1 tomato large , (¾ cup chopped finely)
- 1 onion large , cubed and layers separated
- ½ cup bell peppers diced or capsicum
- 1 sprig curry leaves (optional)
- ½ tsp cumin seeds (jeera)
- ½ tsp ginger or garlic (chopped or grated or paste)
- ½ tsp red chili powder
- ¾ to 1 tsp coriander powder
- ½ to ¾ tsp garam masala
- 1 tsp kasuri methi (optional, dried fenugreek leaves)
- 1 tbsp oil or as needed
- 2 tbsp Coriander leaves or cilantro chopped
Making tofu stir fry
- Heat oil in a wide pan, fry tofu till golden brown, set aside.
- In the same pan, add little more oil. Add cumin when it begins to splutter, add curry leaves and ginger. Sauté well until aromatic.
- Add tomatoes, salt, turmeric and fry till tomatoes turn fully mushy.
- Then add chili powder, garam masala and coriander powder. Sauté until the masala smells good.
- Next add onions, capsicum, mix well and fry on high for 2 to 4 minutes.
- Do not overcook, as they lose the crunch.
- Add tofu and kasuri methi (optional). Gently mix and cook covered for 2 mins on a low flame. This step makes the tofu flavorful. To keep the tofu crispy, just toss in the masala for a few mins.
- Add finely chopped coriander leaves.
- Serve tofu stir fry hot with roti, bread or rice.
Alternative quantities provided in the recipe card are for 1x only, original recipe.
For best results follow my detailed step-by-step photo instructions and tips above the recipe card.
NUTRITION INFO (estimation only)
© Swasthi’s Recipes