Banana bajji recipe – Aratikaya bajji are a popular tea time snack from Andhra cuisine. These are commonly made in most households and is also a street food. Bajji refers to a deep fried fritter popular in South India and bhajiya is a word used towards North India. Banana bajji are made much similar to the green chilli bajji or Mirchi bajji.
Raw banana is called as aratikaya in telugu. Hence the name “aratikaya bajji”. Most andhra restaurants would have these on their menu as a starter or a snack.
Aratikaya bajji recipe shared here is the way my mom would make for us. They turn out to be flavorful, crispy and tasty. To get the best taste, I suggest you stick on to the measurements mentioned below.
She would always stuff these with fine chopped onions, green chilies and coriander leaves. Splashed with a dash of lemon juice to cut down the heat.
Note that all ingredients should be at room temperature, in case you have the habit of storing your flours in the refrigerator.
1. Add onion, green chili and ginger garlic (or ginger garlic paste) to a blender and pulse a couple of times
2. Add very little water to make a paste. Use little otherwise it can mess up your kitchen with spills. Set this aside
3. Add flours, red chili powder, turmeric, ajwain, salt and soda to a mixing bowl.
4. Heat oil in a deep pan for frying
5. Peel and slice raw banana. Add them to water.
6. Pour the paste from step 1 to the mixing bowl and mix well. Add enough water to make the batter of a not too thick or too thin consistency. If you make the batter too thick, it will not coat or hold on to the banana. If you make it too runny, the batter begins to drip off the banana. Refer the pic. Adjust salt if needed
7. Remove the sliced banana and add them to a colander. Ensure there is no water in them.
8. When the oil is hot, put on the flame to medium heat.
9. Dip each slice in batter and swipe off the excess batter and drop in the oil.
10. Fry till golden, drain them on a kitchen tissue and serve hot or warm
Mix chopped onions, green chili, coriander, little salt and lemon juice. Make a slit on the aratikaya bajji and stuff them just before serving else they will turn out soggy.
- Use firm and unripe banana. However you can also use soft or slightly ripe banana if you like the sweet taste.
- Use good quality besan that is not rancid.
- A small amount of rice flour has been used to give a crisp texture to the banana bajji. If you skip it , they will turn softer
- Making the batter to the right consistency is the key to get crisp fried fritters. Do not make it too runny or too thick.
- The onion and ginger masala is the key to flavor up the bajjis.
Raw banana bajji
Ingredients (1 cup = 240ml )
- 1 raw banana or plantain
- 1 onion medium sized
- 1 to 2 green chilies
- 1 tbsp ginger garlic paste (or equal amounts of ginger and garlic)
- 1/8 tsp Red chili powder
- 1 pinch turmeric
- Salt as needed
- 1/8 tsp ajwain (vamu, carom seeds)
- 1 Pinch baking soda
- 1 cup besan (gram flour)
- ¼ cup rice flour
- Water at room temperature as needed
- Oil for deep frying
Preparation for banana bajji
- Make a paste of onion, green chili and ginger garlic paste with very little water. Use little else it can mess up with spills around. keep this aside.
- Add flours, turmeric, ajwain, salt, red chili powder and soda to a large mixing bowl.
- Peel raw banana and slice. Add them to water.
How to make raw banana bajji
- Heat a deep pan with enough oil for frying
- Add the paste made at step 1 to the mixing bowl and mix well along with extra enough water to make the batter of a thick but pouring consistency. I suggest you refer the pic. Add salt if needed.
- Drain the sliced banana and add them to a colander. There must be no water left dripping.
- When the oil gets hot, put on the flame to medium heat.
- Dip sliced banana one at a time in batter and swipe off the excess batter and drop in the hot oil.
- Deep fry till golden on a medium flame.
- Drain them on a kitchen tissue and serve hot or warm.
- Mix chopped onions, green chili, coriander leaves, salt and lemon juice. slit the fritters in the center and stuff them with the onion mix and serve immediately.
NUTRITION INFO (estimation only)
Alternative quantities provided in the recipe card are for 1x only, original recipe.
For best results follow my detailed step-by-step photo instructions and tips above the recipe card.
© Swasthi’s Recipes