Raw banana masala curry – A simple spicy aratikaya masala kura to go with rice or chapathi. I use raw banana at home at least once a week since it is protein rich and it is my kids’ favorite. But most times i end up making a simple curry and this is one of the ways i make.
Raw banana has to be precooked before using it in any recipe. Though it can be used directly to make a curry. Sometimes they don’t get cooked well or have to cook for very long time due to the salt, chili powder and spices. There are a few different ways to cook them.
The whole banana can be boiled in a pot partially filled with water or it can be cubed and boiled in water. Then discard the stock or steam. To make this curry, I have steamed the banana cubes in a cooker (without whistle) the way we steam the idli.
Raw banana masala curry
Raw banana masala curry
For best results follow the step-by-step photos above the recipe card
Ingredients (1 cup = 240ml )
- 2 raw banana (unripe firm)
- 2 tbsp oil
- 1 sprig curry leaves
- ½ tsp mustard
- ½ tsp cumin
- 1 pinch asafoetida or hing
- 1 green chili
- 1/8 tsp turmeric or haldi
- salt as needed
- 1 cup onions finely chopped or sliced
- ½ to ¾ cup tomatoes chopped & mashed (deseeded)
- 1 ½ tsp ginger garlic paste
- 1 tsp red chili powder (adjust as needed)
- 1 tsp garam masala adjust to suit
- ½ tsp coriander powder
- 2 tbsp coriander leaves chopped
- Wash & peel banana. Make sure the inner skin has been removed completely.
- Cube them and steam in a steamer or pressure cooker until cooked al dente (just cooked). It takes around 10 to 12 mins on a medium heat. You can also boil them in a pot with 2 cups water.
- Heat a pan with oil and crackle cumin and mustard.
- Add hing, curry leaves, onions and green chilies. Saute until the onions turn completely golden. Add ginger garlic paste and fry until the raw smell goes off.
- Add tomatoes, salt and turmeric. Mix and saute until the tomatoes turn mushy.
- Add red chili powder, garam masala and coriander powder.
- Mix and saute for 2 to 3 mins.
- Pour half cup water to the pan and stir well. Cook until the mixture turns to a thick gravy like. You can add more water if you like a moist curry. I made this to a dry raw banana masala curry.
- Check the salt and spice now. Add the steamed banana. Stir well.
- Cover and cook for 3 to 4 mins on a very low flame. The banana must cook completely but not mushy. We prefer a dry curry, so I evaporate all the water by cooking for 2 to 3 mins more.
- Add coriander leaves. Switch off.
- Serve aratikaya masala kura with rice or chapathi.
NUTRITION (estimation only)
Alternative quantities provided in the recipe card are for 1x only, original recipe.
For best results follow my detailed step-by-step photo instructions and tips above the recipe card.
© Swasthi’s Recipes