Raw banana masala curry – A simple spicy aratikaya masala kura to go with rice or chapathi. I use raw banana at home at least once a week since it is protein rich and it is my kids’ favorite. But most times i end up making a simple curry and this is one of the ways i make.
Raw banana has to be precooked before using it in any recipe. Though it can be used directly to make a curry. Sometimes they don’t get cooked well or have to cook for very long time due to the salt, chili powder and spices. There are a few different ways to cook them.
The whole banana can be boiled in a pot partially filled with water or it can be cubed and boiled in water. Then discard the stock or steam. To make this curry, I have steamed the banana cubes in a cooker (without whistle) the way we steam the idli.
Raw banana masala curry
Raw banana masala curry
Ingredients (1 cup = 240ml )
- 2 raw banana (unripe firm)
- 2 tbsp oil
- 1 sprig curry leaves
- ½ tsp mustard
- ½ tsp cumin
- 1 pinch asafoetida or hing
- 1 green chili
- 1/8 tsp turmeric or haldi
- salt as needed
- 1 cup onions finely chopped or sliced
- ½ to ¾ cup tomatoes chopped & mashed (deseeded)
- 1 ½ tsp ginger garlic paste
- 1 tsp red chili powder (adjust as needed)
- 1 tsp garam masala (adjust to suit)
- ½ tsp coriander powder
- 2 tbsp coriander leaves chopped
How to make the recipe
- Wash & peel banana. Make sure the inner skin has been removed completely.
- Cube them and steam in a steamer or pressure cooker until cooked al dente (just cooked). It takes around 10 to 12 mins on a medium heat. You can also boil them in a pot with 2 cups water.
- Heat a pan with oil and crackle cumin and mustard.
- Add hing, curry leaves, onions and green chilies. Saute until the onions turn completely golden. Add ginger garlic paste and fry until the raw smell goes off.
- Add tomatoes, salt and turmeric. Mix and saute until the tomatoes turn mushy.
- Add red chili powder, garam masala and coriander powder.
- Mix and saute for 2 to 3 mins.
- Pour half cup water to the pan and stir well. Cook until the mixture turns to a thick gravy like. You can add more water if you like a moist curry. I made this to a dry raw banana masala curry.
- Check the salt and spice now. Add the steamed banana. Stir well.
- Cover and cook for 3 to 4 mins on a very low flame. The banana must cook completely but not mushy. We prefer a dry curry, so I evaporate all the water by cooking for 2 to 3 mins more.
- Add coriander leaves. Switch off.
- Serve aratikaya masala kura with rice or chapathi.