Baby corn fry recipe – a quick stir fry that is healthy, tasty, lightly spiced using fresh ground spices. It can be served with roti or rice and goes great in the lunch box as well. Baby corn fry can also be used as a filling for the sandwich or kathi rolls for the kids lunch box, but the veggies need to be chopped small to bite size.
I have used capsicum to add flavor. Veggies like carrots, peas, potatoes or sweet potatoes go well with baby corn. Fistful of spinach/palak or methi leaves can also be used to add nutrition.
If using potatoes or sweet potatoes from cold storage, i suggest par boiling first otherwise they may not get cooked well.
Find the complete recipe of baby corn fry below
Ingredients (1 cup = 240ml )
- 1 tbsp oil
- ½ tsp cumin (or jeera)
- 1 tsp ginger grated (or ginger garlic paste)
- ¾ cup onions thinly sliced
- 100 grams baby corn or 1 heaped cup
- ½ cup bell peppers or carrots, cubed
- Salt as needed
- 1 pinch turmeric
- 1 sprig curry leaves or coriander leaves or methi or palak chopped finely
- ½ tsp pepper corn or garam masala powder
- ¼ tsp saunf / fennel seeds (optional)
How to make the recipe
- Wash baby corn and trim off the edges. Chop them to desired sizes, thin slices or wedges or diagonally cut chunks will cook faster. For sandwich and kathi roll filling, chop to small bites.
- You can also boil them in 2 cups water first until tender and use. We prefer the crunchy baby corn, so I don’t parboil them.
- Add oil to a pan and heat it. Add cumin, when they begin to splutter add fresh grated ginger or ginger garlic paste. Fry till the raw smell goes off.
- Add onions and fry till transparent.
- Add baby corn and capsicum, salt and turmeric. Fry for a minute.
- Cover and cook on a low flame till the baby corn are cooked. If needed sprinkle some water, cover and cook.
- If using garam masala skip this step. While the baby corn cooks, powder saunf and pepper corn.
- When the baby corn is cooked, add curry leaves, ground powder.
- Fry for 3 minutes, stirring constantly. When you begin to smell the spices good, switch off the flame.
- Serve with baby corn fry with rice and tomato rasam or with roti.
NUTRITION (estimation only)
Alternative quantities provided in the recipe card are for 1x only, original recipe.
If you are new to cooking, follow my detailed step by step photo instructions for best results.
How to make baby corn fry with step by step photos
I prefer to use baby corn straight away without boiling first as we like them crunchy. If you prefer soft baby corn then, boil the cut baby corn in water for sometime until partially soft.
1. Heat a pan with oil, add cumin, let them splutter. Add grated ginger or ginger garlic paste. Fry till it begins to smell good.
2. Add onions, fry till lightly pink.
3. Add baby corn, veggies of your choice, turmeric, salt. I used capsicums along with baby corn. Fry for 2 to 3 minutes.
4. Cover and cook on a low flame. Keep stirring occasionally to prevent burning. If needed sprinkle some water, do not pour lot of water.
5. While the baby corn cooks, powder pepper corn and saunf. If using garam masala , just skip this step.
6. When the baby corn is cooked fully, add leafy greens like methi/spinach or just curry leaves or coriander leaves and then the spice powder.
7. Fry for 2 to 3 minutes or till the leaves wilt off and the spice powder smells good.
Baby corn fry is ready, serve with rice or roti.