Baby corn manchurian recipe – Baby corn manchurian is a delicious appetizer from the Indo chinese cuisine. Manchurian recipes are not from the authentic Chinese cuisine but are a fusion of the Indian & chinese cuisines. These are quite popular and are served in Indo-chinese restaurants.
They are mostly deep fried, loaded with MSG, colors and sauces hence may not be a healthy option to eat these out often. This baby corn starter goes well as a starter or as a side with fried rice or hakka noodles.
I have used minimum amount of corn flour, plain flour and sauces in this recipe. Feel free to use more sauces to make the dish more saucy.
How to Make Baby Corn Manchurian (Stepwise photos)
1. Wash babycorn and cut them diagonally. If you like to make a restaurant style baby corn manchurian, then make a batter first. To make the batter, add corn flour, plain flour, salt and pepper powder to a bowl. Add water and make a batter. Dip the baby corn in the batter and fry in oil.
I like to minimise the corn and plain flours so skipped plain flour and used 2 tbsp corn flour. I added the babycorn to a bowl and then corn flour, salt and pepper powder.
2. Tossed everything well, sprinkled little water and tossed again.
3. Deep fry or shallow fry. You can also grill these. I shallow fried in 2 batches.
4. Fry them until golden, drain to a kitchen tissue or a plate.
Make Baby Corn Manchurian
5. Transfer the oil to a bowl and keep little in the pan. Put on the flame to high this lends a smoky flavor. Fry ginger garlic until they smell good. Add onions and spring onion whites. Saute for 2 to 3 minutes.
6. Add capsicums, saute for 2 to 3 minutes.
7. Add ½ to 1 tbsp. soya sauce.
8. Add ¼ to ½ tbsp. vinegar.
9. Add ¾ to 1 ½ tbsp tomato sauce and ¾ to 1 ½ tbsp. chilli sauce (optional).
10. Add ½ tsp sugar and 2 to 3 tbsp. water to make a sauce. Check the sweet sour levels by tasting. Add more tomato or chilli sauce if needed. Above mentioned quantities are what i use. If you like to make a gravy, stir in 1 tsp corn starch (corn flour) in 3 tbsps water. For more gravy, add more sauces and more corn flour. Cook until the sauce thickens.
11. Add baby corn, spring onions greens and saute for 2 to 3 minutes.
Serve baby corn manchurian as a starter or snack. You can serve a gravy dish with fried rice or noodles. Garnish with spring onions.
Ingredients (US cup = 240ml )
- 200 grams baby corn
- 2 tbsp corn flour
- 2 tbsp plain flour or maida (prefer organic, optional)
- salt as needed
- ¼ tsp pepper powder
For manchurian sauce
- 1 tbsp oil as needed
- ½ tbsp ginger finely chopped , (optional)
- 1 tbsp garlic finely chopped
- 2 to 3 tbsp onions finely chopped
- 1 green chili optional – chopped
- 2 to 3 tbsp spring onions chopped
- 2 to 4 tbsp bell pepper or capsicum chopped
- ½ to 1 tbsp soya sauce (prefer naturally brewed)
- ¼ to ½ tbsp vinegar (can use apple cider)
- ¾ to 1 ½ tbsp tomato sauce or ketchup (adjust as needed)
- ¾ to 1 ½ tbsp chilli sauce (adjust as needed)
- 2 tbsp spring onion greens
- Wash baby corn well under running water. I usually spray some vinegar, leave aside for 5 mins. Rinse them well under running water. You can also boil them in water for 2 to 3 mins. Drain and use.
- Cut them diagonally. Make a thick or thin batter using plain flour, corn flour, salt and pepper after adding little water. Thick batter if you like the flour coated baby corn. I prefer to use less refined flour so I just toss them in dry flour.
- Dip the baby corn and fry in hot oil until golden and crisp. Set them aside.
How to Make Baby Corn Manchurian
- Heat a pan with oil on a high heat. Then saute ginger garlic and chilli until it turns fragrant.
- Add onions and saute for 2 to 3 minutes until golden. Saute bell peppers as well for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Next add soya sauce, vineger, tomato sauce, chilli sauce and sugar.
- Pour little water and cook until the sauce thickens. To make baby corn manchurian gravy, add 1 tsp corn flour to a small bowl. Mix it with 3 to 4 tbsp water and pour it to the pan. Allow the sauce to boil and thicken.
- Add pepper and taste the sauce. If desired add more sauces.
- Add fried baby corn and spring onion greens. Toss well. Baby corn manchurian is ready to serve.
Alternative quantities provided in the recipe card are for 1x only, original recipe.
For best results follow my detailed step-by-step photo instructions and tips above the recipe card.
NUTRITION INFO (estimation only)
© Swasthi’s Recipes