Mushroom pepper fry is a simple, healthy & delicious south Indian dish made with mushrooms, bell peppers, curry leaves, fresh ground pepper & fennel seeds. This unique and super flavorful mushroom pepper fry is one of the best you can make in just 25 mins. It goes so well with plain rice, chapati, paratha, phulka or roti. I also use it as a stuffing in sandwiches and kathi rolls.
The unique flavour & the taste comes from the fresh ground pepper, fennel seeds and curry leaves. This mushroom pepper fry is great to enjoy during the monsoon & winter.
Pepper mushroom, Egg pepper fry, Pepper chicken & pepper mutton are some of the popular pepper dishes found on the south Indian restaurant menus.
Mushrooms and capsicum make a great pair in stir fry dishes, curries and even in fried rice. This mushroom pepper fry can also be made without capsicums but you will miss the delicate flavor they lend to the dish.
You can use any other veggie or even eggs to make this recipe. I have this baby corn fry made following the same recipe.
Mushroom pepper fry
Ingredients (1 cup = 240ml )
Ingredients for mushroom pepper fry
- 1¼ cup mushrooms sliced
- ½ cup onion (1 sliced thinly)
- 1 to 2 green chilies deseeded slit(optional)
- ½ cup capsicum or bell pepper julienned
- 1 tsp pepper corn
- ¼ to ½ tsp saunf (fennel seeds) (¼ for mild flavor)
- ½ tsp cumin or jeera
- 2 garlic cloves chopped
- 1 sprig curry leaves
- Salt as needed
- 1 large tomato deseeded & chopped or pureed
- 1 tbsp oil or ghee
How to make the recipe
- Powder saunf and pepper together. Set aside.
Making mushroom pepper fry
- Saute garlic and cumin in oil until they begin to smell good.
- Add tomatoes, salt and turmeric. Cook until the tomato mixture turns thick, mushy and soft.
- Saute capsicum, chilies and onions on a medium high flame until the raw smell of onions is gone.
- If you like to keep the onions and capsicum crunchy, skip this step and add after the mushrooms are half done.
- Saute mushrooms for 3 mins.
- Add crushed pepper saunf and curry leaves. Fry for 2 to 3 mins until you begin to smell the spices good.
- Cover and cook on a low heat until the mushrooms are done.
- Serve mushroom pepper fry with rice or roti. or stuff it to make wraps and sandwiches.
NUTRITION (estimation only)
If you are new to cooking, follow my detailed step by step photo instructions for best results.
1. Add 1 tsp pepper and ½ tsp saunf to a blender. You can adjust the quantity as needed. But this is the quantity i use and the flavors are overpowering, that is how we like. If you like the mild flavors then use ¾ tsp pepper and ¼ tsp saunf.
2. Powder it and set aside.
How to make mushroom pepper fry
3. Heat a pan with ghee or oil. Fry cumin and garlic until a good smell comes out.
4. Add deseeded tomatoes, either pureed, chopped finely or cubed. I prefer to use large cubes, as it becomes easy to discard the tomato skin once cooked. Also sprinkle salt and turmeric.
5. I covered and cooked on low flame until they turned soft. While the tomatoes cook, wash the mushrooms and slice them as desired.
6. Cook until the tomatoes turn mushy. If using puree cook until it thickens. When the tomatoes turn soft, I discard the skin with the help of a fork.
7. Add sliced onions and capsicum. You can add in deseeded slit green chilies if using.
8. Saute for 2 to 3 mins until the raw smell goes away.
Stir fry mushrooms
9. Add mushrooms.
10. Fry for 3 mins.
11. Add pepper and saunf powder along with curry leaves.
12. Saute for 2 to 3 mins.
13. Cover and cook on a low flame until the mushrooms are done to your liking.
Keep pepper mushrooms covered until you serve.
Serve it with rice, roti or even as a filling in sandwiches and wraps.
Serve mushroom pepper fry with rice or roti.