Mushroom pepper fry recipe – Quick healthy and tasty mushroom pepper fry to serve with rice or roti. It can also be used as a stuffing to sandwiches or wraps. The unique flavor and taste comes from the slow cooking method and the aromatic pepper and fennel/saunf powder that is used. Perfect for the winters to serve with hot rice and ghee.
Mushrooms and capsicum make a great pair in stir fry dishes, curries and even in fried rice. This mushroom pepper fry can also be made without capsicums but you will miss the delicate flavor that they lend to the dish.
Mushroom pepper fry recipe below
Mushroom pepper fry
Ingredients (1 cup = 240ml )
- 1¼ cup mushrooms sliced if needed halved
- ½ cup onion or 1 sliced thinly
- 1 to 2 green chilies deseeded slit(optional)
- ½ cup capsicum or bell pepper julienned
- 1 tsp pepper corn
- ¼ to ½ tsp saunf (¼ for mild flavor)
- ½ tsp cumin or jeera
- 2 garlic cloves chopped
- 1 sprig curry leaves
- Salt as needed
- 1 large tomato deseeded or pureed (about ¾ cup if chopped, 1 cup cubed large)
- 1 tbsp oil or ghee
How to make the recipe
- Powder saunf and pepper together. Set aside.
Making mushroom pepper fry
- Saute garlic and cumin in oil until they begin to smell good.
- Add tomatoes or puree, salt and turmeric. Cook until the tomato mixture turns thick, mushy and soft.
- Saute capsicum, chilies and onions on a medium high flame until the raw smell of onions is gone. If you like to keep the onions and capsicum crunchy, skip this step and add after the mushrooms are half done.
- Saute mushrooms for 3 to 4 mins.
- Add crushed pepper saunf and curry leaves. Fry for 2 to 3 mins until you begin to smell the spices good.
- Cover and cook on a low heat until the mushrooms are done.
- Serve mushroom pepper fry with rice or roti or stuffing to wraps and sandwiches.
Preparation for mushroom pepper fry
1. Add 1 tsp pepper and ½ tsp saunf to a blender. You can adjust the quantity as needed. But this is the quantity i use and the flavors are overpowering, that is how we like. If you like the mild flavors then use ¾ tsp pepper and ¼ tsp saunf.
2. Powder it and set aside.
How to make mushroom pepper fry recipe
3. Heat a pan with ghee or oil. Fry cumin and garlic until a good smell comes out.
4. Add deseeded tomatoes, either pureed, chopped finely or cubed. I prefer to use large cubes, as it becomes easy to discard the tomato skin once cooked. Also sprinkle salt and turmeric.
5. I covered and cooked on low flame until they turned soft. While the tomatoes cook, wash the mushrooms and slice them as desired.
6. Cook until the tomatoes turn mushy. If using puree cook until it thickens. When the tomatoes turn soft, I discard the skin with the help of a fork.
7. Add sliced onions and capsicum. You can add in deseeded slit green chilies if using.
8. Saute for 2 to 3 mins until the raw smell goes away.
Stir fry mushrooms
9. Add mushrooms.
10. Fry for 3 to 4 mins.
11. Add pepper and saunf powder along with curry leaves.
12. Saute for 2 to 3 mins.
13. Cover and cook on a low flame until the mushrooms are done to your liking.
Keep covered until you serve.
Serve mushroom pepper fry with rice or roti.