Baby corn masala recipe – A simple restaurant style baby corn recipe that pairs well with rice, pulao, biryani, roti. For this baby corn curry recipe, I just followed my paneer butter masala, one of the popular recipes on this blog. Baby corn can be used to make fried rice, baby corn fry, baby corn dry curry, mixed veg curry or veg makhanwala, can also be added to veg pulao or veg biryani.
To make baby corn masala recipe, I like to use baby corn along with other vegetables like peas, carrots, capsicums, or even with potatoes to add more flavor and taste. However it is a personal choice, this recipe can be made using only baby corn and no other vegetables except onions and tomatoes.
If you want to make a quick baby corn curry, you need not blend the ingredients. If all that you want to make is a north Indian style baby corn gravy, you will have to blend the sauted ingredients to get a gravy. To get a restaurant style smooth gravy, don’t miss using few cashews, blending it, adding kasuri methi and cream will enhance the flavor, texture and taste.
How to make baby corn masala or baby corn gravy curry
1. Heat oil in the pan, add cumin and allow to splutter. Add ginger garlic or ginger paste and fry until the raw smell goes off.
2. Add onions and fry until golden.
3. Fry tomatoes with salt until mushy.
4. Add spice powders and cashews.
5. Saute and fry until the masala smells good. Cool this mixture and blend with little water.
6. Add little more oil, add the dry spices. Saute till aromatic.
7. Add baby corn. i also added potatoes, you can add peas or any other veggies you like. Fry for 3 to 4 minutes. Add half cup water and cook till they are almost cooked. Add the ground paste.
8. Stir and add more water as needed to make a thick gravy. Check spice and salt. Add more if needed.
9. Cover and cook till the corn is cooked fully. You can add a bit more of chili powder at this stage to get the right color.
10. Add crushed kasuri methi. Stir and switch off the stove.
Serve baby corn gravy with jeera rice, pulao or roti.
Baby corn masala recipe
Ingredients (1 cup = 240ml )
- Oil as needed
- ½ tsp cumin or jeera
- 1 ½ tsp ginger garlic paste
- 1 cup onions chopped
- ½ cup tomatoes chopped
- 8 cashew nuts
- ½ tsp red chili powder
- ¾ tsp garam masala
- ¼ tsp cumin
- 2 cloves
- cinammon stick small
- 2 cardamoms
- 1¼ cup baby corn diagonally cut (100 grams)
- ½ cup mix vegetable like peas, potato or gobi (optional)
- ¼ tsp Kasuri methi
- Heat oil in a pan, add cumin. When it crackles, add ginger garlic paste.
- Fry until the raw smell disappears.
- Add chopped onions and fry until they turn golden.
- Add chopped tomatoes, sprinkle salt and fry until the tomatoes turn mushy.
- Add cashews, red chili powder, garam masala. Fry until the masala smells good.
- This step is optional. Follow this if you want a smooth restaurant style baby corn gravy. Cool the mixture from above step. Blend it along with little water to a puree. Add little more oil to the same pan and heat. Add ¼ tsp cumin, cloves, cinnamon and cardamoms. Fry for a minute.
- Add all the veggies and fry for 3 to 4 minutes.
- Add a half a cup of water and cook the veggies till they are almost cooked.
- Add the ground paste, mix and add more water if needed to bring it to the consistency. Taste it and adjust salt and spice as needed.
- When the baby corn is cooked enough, you can adjust the spice and salt, add more chili powder if neeeded.
- Cook for a while and then add crushed kasuri methi. Stir well and off the stove.
- Garnish baby corn gravy with coriander leaves.
Alternative quantities provided in the recipe card are for 1x only, original recipe.
For best results follow my detailed step-by-step photo instructions and tips above the recipe card.
NUTRITION INFO (estimation only)
© Swasthi’s Recipes