Baby corn stir fry or baby corn sabzi – This can be made in 20 minutes and goes great with chapathi, roti, or even steamed rice. If you are looking for any quick side dishes for your lunch box, this is one dish you can add to your list.
Baby corn though not high in protein, is considered a healthy vegetable due to low carbs, high in fiber, good amount of vitamins a, c, iron and zero fat.
Baby corn stir fry is a semi dry curry / sabzi that is prepared using onions, tomatoes and capsicum. You can plus or minus the ingredients to the recipe easily to suit your taste.You can even add kasuri methi, pepper powder or amchur to make it flavorful.
Some of the best combos I would suggest with baby corn are green peas, drumstick leaves, methi leaves or potatoes. However my choice is most times the capsicum, as they lend a unique flavour to the baby corn.
Baby corn stir fry recipe below
Ingredients (1 cup = 240ml )
How to make the recipe
- Wash baby corn under running water. Wash other vegetables too.
- Slice baby corn to ¼ inch pieces
- Slice capsicums, chop onions and tomatoes
- Heat a pan with oil, add cumin and ginger, fry till the ginger turns aromatic
- Add onions and fry till they turn slightly golden, no need to brown them
- Add tomatoes, sprinkle salt and turmeric and fry till tomatoes turn mushy
- Add baby corn & capsicums. Fry for 2 to 3 minutes
- Add chili powder, garam masala, more salt if needed and fry for 2to 3 minutes on a medium flame.
- Cover and simmer on a very low flame till all the flavors are absorbed and the baby corn gets cooked. I do it for almost 7 to 8 minutes, stirring occasionally. If it is too dry, sprinkle little water to prevent burning.
- Garnish baby corn sabzi with coriander leaves or pudina
NUTRITION (estimation only)
you can use green peas, methi leaves or drumstick leaves too
Alternative quantities provided in the recipe card are for 1x only, original recipe.
If you are new to cooking, follow my detailed step by step photo instructions for best results.
how to make baby corn stir fry or baby corn sabzi
1. Add oil to a pan and heat it.Add cumin , allow to sizzle, add ginger and fry till aromatic.
2. Add onions and fry till lightly transparent
3. Add chopped tomatoes , turmeric and salt. Fry till tomatoes turn mushy
4. Add corn and capsicums, fry for 2 to 3 minutes
5. Add garam masala and red chili powder. fry for 2 minutes
6. Cover and cook on a very low flame till the baby corn is cooked fully. If the curry gets too dry, sprinkle little water and cook
Garnish and serve with rice or chapathi