Badam kheer recipe or badam payasam recipe – A creamy, rich and delicious Indian kheer recipe that tastes divine and can be made for any festive occasions. Badam kheer though made with similar ingredients used to prepare Badam milk or badam paal which is a drink. The consistency of this kheer is thicker & tastes great when it is prepared with smoothly ground almonds. The taste comes close to Basundi. Vermicelli or sago can also be used in this kheer which adds volume to the kheer but the taste slightly differs.
This badam kheer recipe yields a thick and creamy payasam which can be served as a after meal dessert or as a dessert in a party meal. It can be served warm or chilled garnished with chopped nuts and saffron.
To make this badam kheer, you can use fresh milk and sugar or condensed milk. Both work well. If not using condensed milk then I suggest condensing the milk for a while till it thickens and then add the almond paste.
Badam kheer or badam payasam
Ingredients (1 cup = 240ml )
Ingredients for badam kheer
- 30 almonds or badam
- 3 cups full fat milk
- sugar as needed (3 tbsp)
- 3 green cardamom or elaichi powdered
- 1 Pinch saffron or kesar (skip if using food color) (optional)
- 1 tbsp ghee or butter to fry nuts
- 2 tbsp nuts chopped (cashews, pistas and almonds for garnishing)
Preparation for badam kheer
- Soak almonds at least for 4 to 5 hours. Peel the skin and grind to a smooth paste with some milk, elaichi, saffron and sugar. To quicken the process you can also soak the nuts in hot water.
- Boil milk on a medium flame.
How to make badam kheer
- When the milk comes to a boil, reduce the flame and continue to boil until the milk reduces a bit. Keep stirring frequently to prevent the milk from getting scorched.
- Add ground almonds bring it to a boil.
- Cook for few mins stirring. When it begins to bubble, simmer until it reaches a desired consistency.
- Heat ghee in a pan and fry the nuts. Pour it over the kheer.
- Serve badam kheer warm or chilled.
Once the kheer cools down, it thickens, so you can add some fresh boiled milk to adjust the consistency.
How to make badam kheer recipe or badam payasam
1. Soak almonds for 4 to 5 hours in lot of water. They can also be soaked in hot water to reduce the soaking time. But make sure the almonds are soaked well otherwise they cannot blended to smooth. You may also get the coarse grains while eating the almond kheer.
2. Bring milk to a boil in a heavy bottom pot on a medium flame.
3. While the milk boils, peel the skin of almonds and add them to a blender along with green cardamoms, saffron and sugar.
4. Add little milk , just enough to cover almonds and blend them to a smooth puree. If needed add more milk. I suggest adding milk only as needed. Using lot of milk may mess up with spills.
5. When the milk comes to a boil, add the ground almonds. If you like to add vermicelli, then roast them lightly in ghee and add it to the boiling milk. When the vermicelli is cooked then add almond mixture.
6. Stir and continue to cook on a low to medium flame.
7. When the milk reaches a desired consistency, turn off the stove. Garnish with ghee fried nuts.
Serve badam kheer hot or chilled as desired.