Barley soup -barley is commonly used in India during summers to avoid dehydration and constipation. It also helps to lower cholesterol and better manage diabetes as it is low in Glycemic index. This wonder grain is one of the super foods to include in our diet if you have not yet.
To know more on the nutritional facts of barley, i suggest use google. This is a simple barley soup recipe which I follow, every time with different seasoning. It makes a perfect breakfast or a light meal.
You can use any of your favorite seasonings or herbs or spice powders. I have not used any for mine, as I love to eat this simple sometimes.
A break from the usual masalas and sambar powders and ginger garlic. Even the plain one tastes absolutely delicious with a nutty flavor.
The fiber in barley can upset the stomach and leave us bloated, so always soaking barley for at least 4 hours and discarding the soaked water is best.
Partially cooked or under cooked barley too can upset the stomach. So it needs to be cooked until very soft. I have used my choice of veggies I suggest replacing whatever you like.
Ingredients (US cup = 240ml )
- 3 tbsp Barley
- 1 ½ tbsp Barley flour (refer notes, optional)
- 2 cups water (adjust while cooking)
- 1 carrot chopped
- ¼ cup green peas
- ½ cup palak or spring onions or any leafy veggies
- 1 cup Veggies like cauliflower, potatoes, sweet potatoes, beetroot, pumpkin
- Pepper powder as needed
- Salt to taste
Herbs and seasonings that go well
- amchur powder (mango powder) or lemon juice as needed
- kasuri methi (fenugreek leaves powder)
- Dry ginger powder or fresh ginger
- ajwain (carom seeds)
- garam masala
- Fresh mint leaves
- Dill leaves /sabasigge soppu
- Wash and soak barley for at least 4 hours.
- Discard the soaked water.
- Add 2 cups of water and cook till very soft. Or pressure cook for 6 to 8 whistles. If using potatoes cook them along with barley.
- Add chopped veggies and mix barley flour in some water to remove lumps and pour. Cook till the veggies are cooked. Add more water if needed.
- Add salt and desired seasoning and cook for a min or 2.
- Serve barley soup for breakfast, snack or a meal.
how to barley flour at home.
Wash barley in lot of water, drain and fan dry for some time and roast till they turn crunchy, powder and store in a clean jar. Stays good for up to an year in freezer
Alternative quantities provided in the recipe card are for 1x only, original recipe.
For best results follow my detailed step-by-step photo instructions and tips above the recipe card.
NUTRITION INFO (estimation only)
© Swasthi’s Recipes
step by step photos on making barley soup
we love to serve barley soup warm during winters and chilled during summers.