Barley water recipe, Learn how to make barley water at home. An healthy and nutritious drink to beat the heat. Most people know that barley water helps to prevent formation of kidney stones, water retention in pregnant women and treats urinary tract infections. But it certainly has many more benefits like clearing toxins from stomach, helps to reduce cholesterol and keeps the skin clear. Above all it keeps the body cool and hydrated during summer.
It is considered to be one of the best summer drinks keeping the body hydrated and cool. This water can also be fed to babies above 8 months old. Please consult your pediatrician before you start giving this to your baby.
Generally barley water is served with rock sugar and lemon juice to beat the summer heat.
Barley is a grain that is low in calories and high in fiber along with many other minerals and nutrients. Regular consumption of barley helps in detoxifying the body naturally and assists in weight loss. It also keeps the intestinal tract clear and promotes healthy digestive system.
Barley like any other grain has to soaked well prior to cooking in order to reduce the phytic acid. Soaking helps to reduce the phytic acid which otherwise hinders the absorption of nutrients by the body.
There are 4 or more kinds of barley available in the market.
1. Hulled barley is the best one for consumption. The outer skin has been removed but they still have the bran. These take longer to soak, cook and digest.
2. Quick cook barley are precooked and dehydrated. These are the instant version which is not good to use.
3. Pearl barley is a refined version of the whole grain. But they are widely available in the market.
4. Pot barley is a less refined version of the pearl variety.
5. Barley grits are like broken wheat or semolina.
6. Unhulled barley is the one with the husk and cannot be used without hulling them.
Barley water recipe below
For best results follow the step-by-step photos above the recipe card
Ingredients (US cup = 240ml )
- ¼ cup Barley pot barley or hulled barley or pearl barley
- 3 cups water
- 1 teaspoon rock sugar or pink salt as needed (optional)
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice or as needed
- Wash barley a few times with lot of water. Then soak them for at least for 6 to 8 hours. Soaking the grains not only reduces the cook time but also avoids flatulence or abdominal gas.
- After 6 to 8 hours drain the water completely. Pour 3 cups of fresh water to a pot or cooker.
- Pressure cooker: Pressure cook till soft for at least 7 to 8 whistles on a medium flame. Pot method: you can also make barley water in an open pot with additional 1 cup of water till the barley turns very soft and about to get mushy. Instant pot : Add the soaked barley to the inner pot along with water and press the porridge mode which is preset to 20 mins.
- If using hulled barley, it takes more than an hour to cook in the pot. Just keep adding more water as needed while you boil it.
- Cool barley water completely. Strain and add rock sugar, lemon juice and relish. You can also eat up the barley along with the water or add it to salads. It can also be added to yogurt and mixed. Then topped with pomegranate arils.
Alternative quantities provided in the recipe card are for 1x only, original recipe.
For best results follow my detailed step-by-step photo instructions and tips above the recipe card.
NUTRITION INFO (estimation only)
© Swasthi’s Recipes
How to make barley water recipe
1. Clean the barley and discard any debris.
2. Soak barley for at least 8 hours.
3. Pressure cook for about 8 whistles or till very soft cooked. You could use a slow cooker as well.Cool it completely.
4. Strain and add your favorite flavorings like lemon juice or fruit juice or a sweetener. You can also consume the grains along with water.