Watermelon juice recipe – Watermelon is one of the best thirst quenchers and can be an instant remedy to sunstroke or heat during summer. It is has a moisture content of up to 92% and hence can keep us hydrated. Watermelon is high in lycopene, an antioxidant that protects our body from free radicals which otherwise can harm the healthy system.
Watermelon is also a good source of vitamin C, Vitamin A, biotin and many other nutrients.
I make watermelon juice, without any other additives except few spices or herbs. The juice in the pictures is plain juice with a dash of lemon juice and pepper powder.
I sometimes use ginger, few mint leaves, sabja seeds or chia seeds as well. Whenever we buy watermelon, a part of it goes to the refrigerator, the next day I make the juice with the chilled watermelon.
Watermelon seeds are edible so I just use up the white watermelon seeds to make the juice.
There are so simple many ways of using up a surplus watermelon, make watermelon ice cubes and then add them to lemonade when ever needed.
To make ice cubes, just pour watermelon juice in the ice tray and freeze them. The same can be used to make Popsicles as well.
Pour the juice in the Popsicle molds, steel cups or disposable cups, cover with a foil and place the ice cream sticks and freeze until set.
Watermelon juice can be made in a blender or a cold press juicer whatever you have. Since watermelon has lot of moisture, there is no need to add additional liquid even if making the juice in a blender.
Those weight watchers should consume watermelon instead of the juice since the fiber takes some time to digest. So you may feel fuller for little longer which will suppress the hunger.
But juice digests quickly and infact makes us feel hungry quickly. So it is good to serve this juice to kids & toddlers about 45 to 60 mins before a meal.
Watermelon juice recipe
Watermelon juice recipe
Ingredients (1 cup = 240ml )
- 5 cups watermelon cubes, deseeded
- lemon juice as needed
- ginger small piece
- 1 tsp sabja seeds or sweet basil seeds or chia seeds
- mint leaves few , (optional)
- ice cubes few
How to make the recipe
How to make watermelon juice
- If using sabja seeds or chia seeds, rinse them quickly in a large bowl.
- Strain to a coffee filter. Soak them in little water for at least 30 mins to few hours.
- Rinse watermelon under running water.
- Cut it to 2 halves. Remove the seeds.
- Tender white seeds can be used for the juice.
- Chop the watermelon pulp from the rind.
- Add the ingredients to a blender jar and blend till smooth.
- Add ice cubes if preferred. Add sabja seeds and serve watermelon juice immediately.
NUTRITION (estimation only)
If you are a beginner or new to Indian cooking, I highly suggest you to check the supporting step by step photos for best results. Step by step photos with description available below after the recipe card.