Beans poriyal recipe. A simple South Indian style coconut french beans stir fry recipe. It is one of the easiest & basic beans recipe that goes well as a side in a Indian meal. French beans also known as green beans or string beans is one of the veggies that can be used to make pulao, biryani, fried rice, mixed veg curry, stir fry recipes etc.
A poriyal can be made with any vegetables like carrot, beans, cabbage or even peas. These are quite healthy as they are cooked with lesser oil and lightly spiced.
Beans poriyal is made by tempering the spices first and then stir frying the veggie. Lastly fresh coconut is added to it.
To make beans poriyal recipe, you can use any kind of beans. I make this poriyal with different kinds of beans such as french beans, baby beans, Chinese long beans. The cook time varies with each kind of beans.
Usually young & tender beans are good to make this poriyal as it tastes good and cooks faster. This time I used baby french beans.
I have not used onions in this beans poriyal recipe. If you prefer you can add it to the pan before adding beans and saute them until pink.
How to make beans stir fry recipe
1. Nip off both the ends of the beans and remove the fibrous strings if any. For tender & baby beans there will be no strings on the sides.
2. I usually spray some vinegar and allow them to rest for 10 mins. Then soak for another 10 mins and then wash off a few times. Drain water completely.
3. Hold a handful of beans together and begin to chop them to the desired size. If beans are not tender, then it is good to cut them to small sizes. This helps them to cook faster. If using baby french beans then you can chop them to almost half inch length.
4. Heat oil in a pan or kadai. Add mustard, red chili, urad dal and chana dal. Fry them until golden.
5. Then add hing and curry leaves. Saute for a while.
6. Add beans, turmeric and salt. Stir fry for about 2 mins.
7. Cover and cook for 2 mins on a medium to low flame. After 2 to 3 mins, open the lid to check if it has released any moisture.
8. If needed sprinkle some water. If beans are fresh and tender you they tend to get cooked with their own moisture, you may not need to add any water.
9. When the french beans are cooked completely to tender, then add sambar powder or chili powder.
10. Add fresh grated coconut.
11. Stir well and saute for a minute. Switch off the stove.
Serve beans poriyal with rice, rasam and sambar.
Beans poriyal recipe
Ingredients (1 cup = 240ml )
Ingredients for beans poriyal
- 250 grams beans
- 2 to 3 tbsps coconut , grated fresh (use as desired)
- ½ tsp chilli powder or ¾ tsp sambar powder or 1 green chilli
- 1 tbsp oil
- ¼ tsp mustard seeds
- 1 tsp urad dal & chana dal (optional)
- 1 Pinch hing or asafoetida (optional)
- 1 red chilli broken
- 1 sprig curry leaves
- 1/8 tsp turmeric
- Salt as needed
- Cut off both the edges of beans. Rinse them well in lot of water or under running water. Drain them.
- Chop to 1/4 inch pieces.
How to make beans poriyal
- Heat oil in a pan. Add mustard, urad dal, chana dal and red chili.
- When the dals turn golden, add hing and curry leaves.
- Fry till the leaves turn crisp.
- Add chopped beans,turmeric along with salt and saute for 2 mins.
- Cook covered for 2 to 3 mins on a low flame. This helps to release the moisture.
- If needed sprinkle 1 to 2 tbsps water. Cover and cook until soft and tender.
- Add sambar powder or chili powder and coconut.
- Mix well and saute for a minute.
- Switch off and serve beans poriyal with rice.
NUTRITION INFO (estimation only)
Alternative quantities provided in the recipe card are for 1x only, original recipe.
For best results follow my detailed step-by-step photo instructions and tips above the recipe card.
© Swasthi’s Recipes