Pappula podi recipe or peanut chutney powder. This is a basic spice powder that is made of roasted gram or fried gram called as putnalu in telugu. It is a must to prepare in most andhra karnataka kitchens to accompany the usual breakfasts like idli, dosa, uttapam, upma, semiya upma and the list goes endless.
This peanut powder can even be relished with plain rice and a dollop of ghee or with yogurt rice. A spoonful of this podi along with the south Indian breakfast greatly contributes to the protein requirement for growing kids as well for adults too. It is also a good stand by when you cannot prepare chutney for your breakfast.
Each family may have their own version of pappula podi recipe, making this to suit their taste. Some make using only the roasted gram and coconut and no peanuts are used. This is the podi which is made in my mom’s home. Peanuts form the base of this and fried gram is used to prevent the oil oozing out from the peanut mix while pounding it. You could slightly adjust the amount of ingredients to suit your taste like increasing or decreasing the garlic and red chilies.
Variations: if you like you can also use sesame seeds, desiccated coconut or flax seeds and reduce the same amount of peanuts from the ingredients mentioned below
This peanut powder can also be used to make podi idli.
Pappula podi recipe or peanut chutney podi recipe
Pappula podi | Peanut chutney powder recipe | Podi recipes
Ingredients (1 cup = 240ml )
- ⅓ cup fried gram putani, putnalu
- 1 cup peanuts optional, refer notes
- 8 to 10 red chilies Kashmiri, adjust to suit your spice levels
- 1 tbsp cumin jeera, use only one tsp if not using peanuts
- 2 to 3 garlic cloves, use only one garlic pod if not using peanuts
- 1 tsp oil
How to make the recipe
- Dry roast all the ingredients (except chilies) one after the other till you get a nice aroma. Set these aside to cool.
- Fry red chilies in a tsp of oil till they turn crisp.
- Once cool, blend the red chilies and cumin to a smooth powder, add the rest of the ingredients, salt and run the mixer. make sure everything is mixed well
- Store in an air tight jar. keeps fresh for about 2 to 3 months.
Step by steps on how to make pappula podi
1. I begin with cleaning and discarding stones from roasted gram and cumin. If using peanuts i clean that as well.
2. I dry roast all the ingredients one after the other till they become aromatic.
3. Add 1 tsp. oil to the same pan and fry red chilies till they turn crisp.
4. Cool all the ingredients and pound the red chilies and cumin to smooth powder.
5. Add rest of the ingredients and salt to the jar and pound.Scrape off the sides and mix everything well.
Store in an air tight jar. keeps fresh for about 2 to 3 months.