Potato fry recipe or aloo fry recipe with a quick video and step by step photos. Learn how to make easy potato fry just in 25 minutes . Potato is a versatile vegetable and can be used to prepare many dishes like curries, pulao, snacks & even stir fry. These spicy stir fried potatoes will be a great addition to your meal. Just serve them as a side & they go so well with rice or roti.
I don’t make very hot & spicy foods at home as my kids cannot eat. So this potato fry is lightly spiced with red chili powder & light garam masala. We usually serve this aloo fry with tomato rasam or instant rasam and plain rice. I am sure you will love it too that way.
You can also use this potato fry to make some wraps. I do sometimes spread a green chutney and add this to the roti & make quick snack rolls.
Tips to make potato fry
- To stir fry always use potatoes that are not from the frozen section as they don’t get cooked or roasted quickly.
- Always keep the potatoes immersed in a bowl of water to get rid of the excess starch. This prevents them from sticking up to each other while frying.
- Also keeping them in water hydrates the potatoes and help to cook well easily.
- I have used a basic garam masala to spice up the aloo fry. You can also use pav bhaji masala, kitchen king masala or sambar powder.
- Always add salt to potatoes only after are cooked well. Adding salt early to the potatoes hinders them from cooking well.
Preparation for potato fry recipe
1. Wash potatoes well. Peel them and cube to bite sizes or about half inch cubes.
2. Immerse them in a bowl of water until used further.
3. Crush or chop garlic and rinse the curry leaves.
How to make potato fry recipe
4. Heat a pan with oil, add mustard, cumin and urad dal, when the dal gets lightly roasted add red chili, garlic and curry leaves. If you don’t have curry leaves you can use pudina.
5. Add potatoes and turmeric.
6. Fry for about 3 to 4 minutes.
7. Simmer or lower the flame. Cook covered till the potatoes are soft cooked. If needed you can sprinkle little water and cook.
8. Add red chili powder and garam masala.
9. Mix and fry for few more minutes, till the chili powder blends well with potatoes.
Serve aloo fry with rice and rasam.
Ingredients (1 cup = 240ml )
- 1 cup potatoes cubed (about 2 large)
- 1 ½ tbsp oil or as needed
- ¼ tsp. mustard
- ½ tsp cumin or jeera
- 1 to 2 garlic cloves chopped or crushed
- ½ tsp urad dal (optional)
- 1 sprig curry leaves
- 1 red chili dried broken (optional)
- pinch asafoetida or hing
- 1/8 tsp turmeric or haldi
- ¼ tsp red chili powder
- ¼ to ½ tsp garam masala or sambar powder
- salt as needed
How to make the recipe
Preparation for potato fry
- Wash potatoes and peel. Cube to small bite sizes about half inch cubes. Keep them in a bowl of water until used. This helps to remove the excess starch and prevents them from sticking to each other.
- Crush or chop garlic. Rinse curry leaves and set aside.
Making potato fry
- Pour oil to a heavy bottom non stick or cast iron pan. When the oil turns hot, add cumin, mustard, red chili and dals. Fry dal till golden.
- Add curry leaves and garlic. When the garlic is lightly fried, add hing.
- Drain the water from potatoes and then add them to the pan. Sprinkle turmeric. Mix and fry potatoes for about 3 to 4 minutes on a medium heat stirring often.
- Lower the flame, Cover and cook till the potatoes are done. Stir in between to prevent burning. If needed sprinkle some water in between. You can also add more oil for better roasting.
- When the potatoes are roasted and cooked well. Check if they are cooked completely. You shouldn’t feel hard from inside. Otherwise sprinkle some more water and fry.
- Then sprinkle chili powder, salt and garam masala. Toss everything well and fry for a minute or two to blend well. Serve potato fry or aloo fry with rice and rasam.
NUTRITION (estimation only)
Alternative quantities provided in the recipe card are for 1x only, original recipe.
If you are new to cooking, follow my detailed step by step photo instructions for best results.