Potato fry recipe or aloo fry recipe. Learn to make easy potato fry in 25 minutes with a quick video and step by step photos. Potato is a versatile vegetable and can be used to prepare many dishes. I also make other potato recipes like aloo curry, South Indian aloo kurma, quick potato sagu, simple aloo rice, biryani and potato sandwich.
A simple potato fry is very easy to prepare and makes a Indian meal special. Lightly spiced with red chili powder and light garam masala, this aloo fry has great taste and flavor. Accompany this with tomato rasam and plain rice, you will love it.
Video of potato fry recipe – Aloo stir fry
Potato fry recipe or aloo fry recipe below
Potato fry recipe | Aloo fry recipe | how to make potato fry recipe
Indian potato fry recipe - A simple stir fry recipe of potatoes, spiced with Indian spice powder and chili powder. This is a kids' friendly potato fry recipe. It can be eaten with rice- sambar or rice-rasam or as a side in a Indian meal.
Ingredients (240 ml cup used)
- 1 cup potatoes (cubed) (about 2 large)
- 1 ½ tbsp oil or as needed
- ¼ tsp. mustard
- ½ tsp cumin or jeera
- 1 to 2 garlic cloves chopped or crushed
- ½ tsp urad dal (optional)
- 1 sprig curry leaves
- 1 red chili dried broken (optional)
- pinch asafoetida or hing
- 1/8 tsp turmeric or haldi
- ¼ tsp red chili powder
- ¼ to ½ tsp garam masala or sambar powder
- salt as needed
How to make the recipe
Preparation for potato fry
Wash potatoes and peel. Cube to small bite sizes about half inch cubes.
Keep them in a bowl of water until used. This helps to remove the excess starch and prevents them from sticking to each other.
Crush or chop garlic. Rinse curry leaves and set aside.
Making potato fry
Pour oil to a heavy bottom non stick or cast iron pan.
When the oil turns hot, add cumin, mustard, red chili and dals. Fry dal till golden.
- Add curry leaves and garlic.
When the garlic is lightly fried, add hing.
Drain the water from potatoes and then add them to the pan. Sprinkle turmeric.
Mix and fry for about 3 to 4 minutes on a medium heat stirring often.
- Lower the flame, Cover and cook till the potatoes are done.
Stir in between to prevent burning. If needed sprinkle some water in between. You can also add more oil for better roasting.
When the potatoes are roasted and cooked well. Check if they are cooked completely. You shouldn't feel hard from inside. Otherwise sprinkle some more water and fry.
Then sprinkle chili powder, salt and garam masala.
- Toss everything well and fry for a minute or two to blend well.
Serve potato fry or aloo fry with rice and rasam.
Preparation for potato fry recipe
1. Wash potatoes well. Peel them and cube to bite sizes or about half inch cubes.
2. Immerse them in a bowl of water until used further.
3. Crush or chop garlic and rinse the curry leaves.
How to make potato fry recipe
4. Heat a pan with oil, add mustard, cumin and urad dal, when the dal gets lightly roasted add red chili, garlic and curry leaves. If you don’t have curry leaves you can use pudina.
5. Add potatoes and turmeric.
6. Fry for about 3 to 4 minutes.
7. Simmer or lower the flame. Cook covered till the potatoes are soft cooked. If needed you can sprinkle little water and cook.
8. Add red chili powder and garam masala.
9. Mix and fry for few more minutes, till the chili powder blends well with potatoes.
Serve aloo fry with rice and rasam.