Brinjal fry is a side dish from andhra cuisine made by stir frying eggplants with spices & herbs. This andhra style brinjal fry is delicious, flavorful & can be made in minutes. It is known as vankaya vepudu in telugu & is one of the most commonly made side dishes to serve with plain rice & ghee.
Andhra cuisine is popular for its spicy, flavorful & nutty dishes. This brinjal fry is made in numerous ways & each family has their own recipe. It is also served as a side dish in Andhra meals in restaurants.
However most foods in authentic andhra restaurants are super hot & spicy, including this brinjal fry.
At home we do not eat very hot & spicy foods as my young kids still cannot tolerate the heat. So this andhra style brinjal fry is not only healthy but is also a super delicious one with bursting flavors.
This recipe is my own, for variations you can read the tips below.
Tips to make brinjal fry
- Always choose tender brinjals that are fresh without any bruises. Also after chopping brinjals keep them in salted water until they are used to cook.
- I have used a handful of roasted peanuts which not only perk up the nutrition values but also adds a nutty aroma to the dish. However you can skip them completely.
- We also add some tender green peas to the brinjal fry. You can just add them to the pan along with eggplants. If the peas are too tender then add them once the brinjals are soft cooked.
- I have used garam masala to spice up the dish, however you can also add little sambar powder if you do not have garam masala.
How to make brinjal fry recipe
1. Wash and cut brinjal to pieces. Add them to salted water.
2. Add oil to a hot pan, add mustard and cumin. When they begin to splutter, add ginger garlic paste, green chili and fry until the raw smell goes away.
3. Add chopped brinjal. Sprinkle salt and turmeric. Fry for 2 to 3 mins. Then cover and cook on a low flame until soft.
4. When the brinjal pieces are tender, then add curry leaves & red chili powder. Fry for 2 to 3 mins. Check the salt and add more if needed. Cover and cook for another 2 to 3 mins. Then sprinkle crushed peanuts & stir fry until aromatic.
5. Switch off the stove. When it cools down then add some lemon juice & mix.
Serve brinjal fry with rice, ghee and sambar.
Ingredients (1 cup = 240ml )
- 250 grams brinjal (or vankaya) or eggplants
- 2 tablespoons Oil
- 3 green chilies slit (adjust to suit your taste)
- 1 sprig curry leaves (optional)
- 1 teaspoon ginger garlic paste or 2 chopped garlic cloves
- Salt to taste
- 1 ½ teaspoon lemon juice (refer notes)
Spices for brinjal fry
- ½ teaspoon mustard (or rai)
- ½ teaspoon Cumin (or jeera)
- 1/8 teaspoon turmeric
- ½ to ¾ teaspoon red chili powder (optional)
- ½ to ¾ teaspoon garam masala or sambar powder or idli podi
- 3 tablespoons peanuts or fresh green peas
How to make the recipe
- This brinjal fry recipe can be made without peanuts too but they add great taste. This step is optional. If you like to use peanuts for this recipe, dry roast them until golden and aromatic.
- Cool & crush them coarsely either in a mortar pestle or mixer.
- Add ¼ tsp salt to a bowl filled with 2 cups water.
- Rinse brinjals & slice them or cut to desired sizes. I chop them to 1 inch pieces.
- Add them to salt water. This helps to prevent them from discoloring.
How to make brinjal fry
- Heat oil in a wide pan. Add cumin, mustard, and let them splutter.
- Then add the green chilies. Fry till they turn pale in color.
- Add ginger garlic paste, saute quickly until aromatic.
- Now add chopped brinjal, salt & turmeric. Toss on a medium flame for 2 to 3 mins.
- Then cover and cook till soft on a low flame stirring in between.
- Add curry leaves, red chili powder & garam masala or sambar powder or idli podi.
- Stir everything well & fry for 2 to 3 mins.
- Cover and cook for 2 to 3 minutes on a low flame. Sprinkle crushed peanuts and stir.
- When the brinjal fry cools down a bit, pour lemon juice if desired.
- Serve brinjal fry or vankaya fry with rice.
NUTRITION (estimation only)
Alternative quantities provided in the recipe card are for 1x only, original recipe.
If you are new to cooking, follow my detailed step by step photo instructions for best results.