Cabbage fry recipe – a healthy protein enriched cabbage vepudu made with moong dal. This lentil & stir fried cabbage dish is not only healthy & delicious but is also easy to make. It can be served with rice, phulka, roti or chapati.
We love this Chinese style stir fried cabbage at home which is a perfect pair with roti or sandwiches. But this moong dal and cabbage is protein packed & is great to enjoy with some rice and ghee.
The entire dish is made by just stir frying and sauteeing. I have not used any water either to cook the lentils or the cabbage. Soaked lentils cook on their own when covered and simmered. If needed you may sprinkle some water.
To get a non-mushy fry, always use cabbage at room temperature and make sure the water is drained thoroughly. Fry it on medium high flame, tossing in between.
It is best to use young cabbage for stir fry for best flavors.
1. Wash and soak moong dal in water for about an hour.
2. Chop cabbage and add them to a bowl of water. Rinse twice.
3. Drain it off in a colander. There should be no water left in the cabbage.
4. Add oil to a hot pan, when the oil is hot add mustard , cumin. When they begin to crackle add ginger grated or chopped, curry leaves and green chili.
5. Add dal and coook till it turns soft. Do not add water.just cover and cook till soft. You can also sprinkle water and cook.
6. Add cabbage and turmeric, fry on a medium high. Tossing in between. fry till the raw smell of cabbage goes off.
If needed cover and cook or cook without lid as needed till the cabbage is done. Add salt and stir. If using coconut, sprinkle and mix well.
Ingredients (1 cup = 240ml )
- 2 cups cabbage , shredded
- 3 tbsps moong dal / pesara pappu
- 1 Inch ginger shredded or grated
- 1 sprig curry leaves
- 1 to 2 green chilies
- ¼ tsp mustard
- ¼ tsp cumin
- 1 to 2 tbsp oil
- 1 pinch turmeric
- salt to taste
- 2 tbsp coconut , grated
How to make the recipe
- Rinse and soak dal in water for about an hour. Drain it and set aside.
- Shred cabbage and rinse thoroughly with lot of salted water, drain and set aside. Make sure there is no water left in the cabbage.
- Heat oil in a heavy bottom pan, sauté mustard, cumin till they splutter, add green chili and ginger and fry till you get an aroma.
- Add the dal and cook till it is fully cooked. This takes around 3 mins. Do not add water. If needed cover and cook the dal.
- Increase the flame to medium high, add cabbage and turmeric, toss and fry for 3 to 4 mins or until done.
- Add salt, toss and fry for a min. If your cabbage is not tender, cover and cook.
- If you have grated coconut you can sprinkle it and switch off the stove. serve cabbage fry with rice or chapathi.
NUTRITION (estimation only)
Alternative quantities provided in the recipe card are for 1x only, original recipe.
If you are new to cooking, follow my detailed step by step photo instructions for best results.