Cabbage fry recipe or cabbage curry recipe – a healthy protein enriched cabbage stir fry or cabbage vepudu made with moong dal.. Cabbage fry can be accompanied with rice or phulka. Moong dal adds volume and taste to the dish. To get a non-mushy fry, always use cabbage at room temperature and make sure the water is drained thoroughly. Fry it on medium high flame, tossing in between.
For more cabbage curry recipes, you can also check this
cabbage masala curry
cabbage curry for chapathi
cabbage fry recipe with step by step photos
1. Wash and soak moong dal in water for about an hour.
2. Chop cabbage and add them to a bowl of water. Rinse twice.
3. Drain it off in a colander. There should be no water left in the cabbage.
4. Add oil to a hot pan, when the oil is hot add mustard , cumin. When they begin to crackle add ginger grated or chopped, curry leaves and green chili.
5. Add dal and coook till it turns soft. Do not add water.just cover and cook till soft. You can also sprinkle water and cook.
6. Add cabbage and turmeric, fry on a medium high. Tossing in between. fry till the raw smell of cabbage goes off. If needed cover and cook or cook without lid as needed till the cabbage is done. Add salt and stir. If using coconut, sprinkle and mix well.
find cabbage fry or cabbage curry recipe below
cabbage fry recipe | cabbage curry recipe | cabbage vepudu
Ingredients (1 cup = 240ml )
- 2 cups cabbage , shredded
- 1 Fistful moong dal / pesara pappu
- 1 Inch ginger shredded or grated
- 1 sprig curry leaves
- 1 to 2 green chilies
- ¼ tsp mustard
- ¼ tsp cumin
- 1 to 2 tbsp oil
- 1 pinch of turmeric
- salt to taste
- 2 tbsp coconut , grated
How to make the recipe
- soak dal in water for about an hour. Drain it and set aside.
- Shred cabbage and rinse thoroughly with lot of salted water, drain and set aside. Make sure there is no water left in the cabbage.
- Heat oil in a heavy bottom pan, sauté mustard, cumin till they splutter, add green chili and ginger and fry till you get an aroma.
- Add the dal and cook till it is fully cooked. This takes around 3 mins. Do not add water. If needed cover and cook the dal.
- Increase the flame to medium high, add cabbage and turmeric, toss and fry for 3 to 4 mins or until done.
- Add salt, toss and fry for a min. If your cabbage is not tender, cover and cook.
- If you have grated coconut you can sprinkle it and switch off the stove. serve cabbage curry with rice or chapathi.