Chicken varuval recipe – Learn how to make chettinad chicken fry – Bangalore is one of the places where we get to enjoy delicious dishes from different Indian Cuisines. There are a lot of restaurants specialized in serving chettinad foods in Bangalore. Dishes from chettinad cusine always made way to the order They are mildly spicy with lot of fennel flavor, not like the Andhra foods that flame up the body with spices after eating.
Many yrs ago, got this chettinad chicken fry recipe called as chicken varuval recipe from a tamil friend who hailed from Madurai, and was our neighbor in bangalore. She was a very good cook. I used to adore her health consciousness while cooking and the way she used to handle her kids. It is almost 6 yrs, since I have been cooking this.
to make a good chettinad chicken varuval recipe, all the ingredients are a must to get a good aroma.
chicken varuval recipe
Ingredients (1 cup = 240ml )
- 2 inch cinnamon stick
- 4 to 6 cloves
- 1 green cardamom (optional)
Masala powder (dry roast all ingredients and powder)
- 1 tbsp coriander seeds /daniya
- 1 tsp cumin / jeera
- ½ tsp pepper corn
- 1 tsp fennel seeds / saunf
- 4 to 5 Red chillies (adjust to suit your taste)
- 2 sprigs curry leaves , fresh
- 1 tbsp dry coconut or 1 tbsp poppy seeds or sesame seeds
- 1 tbsp roasted gram or 8 to 10 cashews or 10 to 12 almonds (refer notes)
How to make the recipe
- Heat oil in a pan, add the dry spices and sauté for a min
- Add the onions crushed or finely chopped and ginger garlic paste, fry till on a medium flame the raw smell disappears. This takes around 5 minutes.
- Add the chicken, salt and turmeric. Fry on high flame till the chicken turns white in color. This takes around 2 to 3 mins.
- Simmer the flame. Cover and cook for 3 to 4 mins, occasionally flipping the pieces to prevent burning.
- Add the powdered masala, fry till you get good aroma.
- Add about ¼ cup water and stir well. How much water to use depends on how tender your chicken is. So adjust the quantity as needed.
- Cover and cook till the chicken is fully cooked.
- Add lemon juice and mix well.
- Fry till all the water evaporates and the masala clings to the chicken.
- Garnish with coriander leaves if needed.
- Serve with rice and rasam for a simple and delicious meal.
chettinad chicken varuval recipe with step by step photos
1. to make chettinad masala, dry roast all the ingredients one after the other with out burning and powder along with cashews or almonds or fried gram (potukadalai). i used cashews, it gives a restaurant style taste.
2. Add oil to a pan, fry dry spices for a minute.
3. Add coarsely crushed onion or finely chopped onions, along with ginger garlic paste and fry till the raw smell disappears for about 5 minutes.
4. Add chicken, turmeric and fry till the chicken turns to white in color.
5. cover and cook for about 3 to 4 minutes.
6. Add the spice powder. Fry till you get a good aroma for about 2 to 4 minutes.
7. Add about 1/4 cup water and cook till the chicken is completely cooked. Adjust more or less water as needed.Add lemon juice and stir.
8. Fry till the chettinad masala clings on to the chicken.
9. Garnish with chopped coriander leaves. Serve with rice and rasam.