Chicken soup recipe – Learn how to make healthy chicken soup at home. It is mildly flavored with Indian spices and can be adjusted to suit your taste. You can add veggies of your choice like potatoes, corn, carrots, peas, pumpkin & mushrooms. Simmering various kinds of veggies lend a unique aroma and taste to the soup.
Chicken soup can be made in so many ways. I never stick on to any particular recipe. I prepare it in whatever way I feel like and is easy for me.
I prepare this almost daily when my kids have cold. I feel it helps them to heal naturally with in few days.
I generally keep them only on this soup and few spoons of rice, as it is lighter to digest.
I also add some veggies or corn since my kids love them as well in the soup. This tastes very close to the chicken soup that is served in pizza hut in Singapore, except that mine has an added flavor of ghee and spices.
You may like to check these 70 Indian chicken recipes
Indian chicken soup
Chicken soup recipe | How to make Indian chicken soup
Ingredients (1 cup = 240ml )
Ingredients for chicken soup
- 250 gms chicken (bone-in chicken)
- 1 carrot
- ½ cup Sweet corn
- 1 potato optional
- 1 cup any vegetables of your choice (optional) (cauliflower, celery,cabbage)
- 2 tbsp Lemon juice (helps in fighting flu and cold)
- 1 tbsp ginger chopped finely (optional)
- 1 tbsp garlic chopped finely
- 1 tsp ghee or oil or butter
- 1 small bay leaf
- 4 pepper corn
- 2 inch cinnamon piece
How to make the recipe
- Add chicken, potatoes, mixed vegetables, and 3 cup water to a cooker or pot.
- Tear the bay leaf to pieces and break the cinnamon. Add them along with pepper corn.
- Pressure cook for 3 whistles or boil until the chicken is tender & falls off the bone.
- Set the chicken aside. Shred the meat and discard the bones.
How to make chicken soup
- Heat a deep pan with oil, sauté ginger and garlic for a minute.
- Add carrots and sweet corn fry for a min.
- Strain the chicken stock to the pan and boil for a while until the corn and carrots are tender.
- Add salt and the shredded chicken. Turn off.
- Cool down the chicken soup a bit then squeeze in the lemon juice and add more pepper powder.
- Serve chicken soup warm. You can also add some boiled noodles to this.
NUTRITION (estimation only)
If you are a beginner or new to Indian cooking, I highly suggest you to check the supporting step by step photos for best results. Step by step photos with description available below after the recipe card.