Chutney Egg Sandwich Recipe – A chutney sandwich is very easy to make, tastes good and is kids’ friendly too. I know I have been posting a lot of egg recipes in the recent times, many more are on the way! Eggs are versatile, healthy, easy to prepare and that makes me cook them often. Kids school holidays have begun, that keeps me busy for the next 4 weeks. So I opt for easy sandwich recipes like this one.
This chutney egg sandwich makes a quick protein filled breakfast or a after school snack. It can also be had for a meal made with an extra layer of bread, more veggies and an extra egg. To make this chutney sandwich, I have used boiled egg along with the pudina coriander chutney and fresh veggies. This can also be made with fried eggs or scrambled eggs, just like the way i made this bhurji sandwich. I prefer to use boiled eggs as they are more healthy and nutritious.
This chutney egg sandwich is best served right away since the veggies may make the yolk and bread soggy. As a matter of safety, eggs should always be consumed before 2 hours of preparing them. Do not pack this for the kids’s lunch box as eggs don’t keep good till noon. But may go well in the snack box if going to be consumed within 2 hours. I always serve eggs right away after cooking them.
Chutney Egg Sandwich Recipe below
Chutney Egg Sandwich Recipe | Easy Egg sandwich recipes
Ingredients (1 cup = 240ml )
- 3 to 5 eggs hard boiled
- 6 to 8 slices bread
- unsalted butter as needed (optional)
for making chutney
- 1/2 cup coriander leaves / cilantro
- 12 to 15 mint leaves / pudina
- 1 garlic clove / lahsun (optional)
- 1/4 inch ginger / adrak
- 1/2 tsp cumin / jeera
- lemon juice as needed
- 1 1/2 tbsp coconut fresh or frozen grated
- 1 green chili slit (for kids add a tiny piece or skip it)
Veggies as desired
- bell peppers thinly sliced (optional)
- onion rings, few, as needed
- carrots grated , as needed
- coriander as needed
- lettuce (optional)
How to make the recipe
- Hard boil eggs. Remove the shells. Slice and set aside.
- Add the ingredients for making chutney and blend to a smooth paste with 1 to 2 tbsp. water.
- Butter the bread and toast till golden.
- Spread the chutney on the bread slices. Place the egg slices. Add veggies.
- Cover the bread with another slice. Press with a wooden spoon.
- Cut to halves before serving.
NUTRITION (estimation only)
If you are a beginner or new to Indian cooking, I highly suggest you to check the supporting step by step photos for best results. Step by step photos with description available below after the recipe card.
Step by step photos on chutney egg sandwich recipe below
1. I bring eggs to room temperature before boiling to prevent breakage. Wash eggs and boil them on a medium flame. When the water becomes hot increase the flame to a medium high and boil till the shells crack. Cover and set aside for about 5 to 7 minutes. This method works well for me including for the first born eggs or very fresh eggs that are too difficult to hard boil properly. Remove the shells under running water.
2. While the eggs boil, add all the ingredients for making chutney to a blender.
3. Make a fine paste with an addition of lemon juice and a tbsp of water. The chutney should be thick but of spreading consistency. Do not make it runny as it may turn the bread soggy. Set this aside.
4. Heat a tawa and toast buttered bread on both the sides. With butter it is a bit heavy for the kids, so it can be skipped as well.
5. Smear the chutney on the bread slices and place the sliced eggs.
6. Then add your favorite veggies. Most times it is the carrot and onions i use since these are always in stock. But you can use whatever you like.
7. Cover the sandwich and press it gently with a wooden spoon. You can also make another layer similarly.
Cut them to halves before serving.