Cucumber raita is a yogurt based side made with fresh cucumbers, herbs and spices. Cucumber raita is one of the most commonly made accompaniment to go with a biryani or pulao. A basic raita is made of yogurt, mild spice powders and favorite veggies or fruits. Onions, tomatoes, cucumber are few veggies that are often used.
Onion raita, mint raita & boondi raita are some of the varieties that are loved and made often at home. Raita is a great accompaniment not only to biryani & pulao but it can be enjoyed in any Indian meal.
Cucumber raita is very very delicious, healthy and keeps the body cool during summer. To make this, all we need is fresh cucumber, roasted cumin powder, pepper powder and salt. Mint, coriander leaves, green chili or fresh ginger juice can also be used.
Cucumbers help in digestion and brings down the heat in the biryani. I prefer to keep our weekend meal simple, so I made this raita to go with the vegetable coconut milk pulao.
Recipe of cucumber raita
Ingredients (1 cup = 240ml )
- 1 cup cucumber chopped
- 1½ cup yogurt (more if needed)
- ¼ teaspoon salt as needed
- ½ teaspoon roasted ground cumin (refer notes)
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper (adjust to taste)
- 2 tablespoons coriander leaves (cilantro finely chopped)
- 4 to 5 mint leaves (optional, finely chopped)
- 1 green chili pepper (seeded and chopped)
- ¼ inch fresh ginger (peeled, grated & crushed)
- Rinse cucumber and chop to tiny bite size pieces (about half inch). Also fine chop coriander and mint leaves.
- Deseed the green chilli pepper and chop.
- Optional – Grate ginger and crush it to a fine paste. If you don't like the ginger fibers, you may add the 1 teaspoon grated ginger to a tea strainer and press down with your finger to extract the juice. You can use about 1 teaspoon juice.
- Add ground cumin to a small pan and heat it on a low flame. You will soon smell it good. Remove it and cool. Do not roast it too long it burns quickly.
How to make cucumber raita
- Whisk chilled yogurt in a large mixing bowl. Add chopped cucumber, green chilies, coriander leaves, mint leaves, ginger and salt. Mix all of them.
- Taste test and add more salt if needed. Drizzle cumin powder & ground black pepper.
NUTRITION INFO (estimation only)
Alternative quantities provided in the recipe card are for 1x only, original recipe.
For best results follow my detailed step-by-step photo instructions and tips above the recipe card.
© Swasthi’s Recipes