Cucumber raita is a yogurt based side made with fresh cucumbers, herbs and spices. Cucumber raita is one of the most commonly made accompaniment to go with a biryani or pulao. A basic raita is made of yogurt, mild spice powders and favorite veggies or fruits. Onions, tomatoes, cucumber are few veggies that are often used.
Onion raita, mint raita & boondi raita are some of the varieties that are loved and made often at home. Raita is a great accompaniment not only to biryani & pulao but it can be enjoyed in any Indian meal.
Cucumber raita is very very delicious, healthy and keeps the body cool during summer. To make this, all we need is fresh cucumber, roasted cumin powder, pepper powder and salt. Mint, coriander leaves, green chili or fresh ginger juice can also be used.
Cucumbers help in digestion and brings down the heat in the biryani. I prefer to keep our weekend meal simple, so I made this raita to go with the vegetable coconut milk pulao.
Recipe of cucumber raita
Cucumber raita recipe
Ingredients (1 cup = 240ml )
Ingredients for cucumber raita
- 1 cup cucumber chopped
- 1 cup yogurt (or chilled curd, adjust to get the desired consistency)
- salt as needed
- ½ tsp roasted cumin powder
- pinch pepper powder
- few mint leaves or coriander leaves finely chopped
- 1 green chili seeded and chopped
- 1 tsp fresh ginger juice if you like the flavor
How to make the recipe
How to make cucumber raita
- Lightly dry roast cumin on a low flame. Cool it and powder.
- Wash and peel cucumber. chop to small bites.
- Whisk yogurt in a bowl.
- Add them to a bowl along with salt and cumin powder. If using the optional ingredients add them as well and mix. To make ginger juice, grate ginger, add it to a tea strainer and press, juice drips through the strainer.Add just one 1 tsp.
- Garnish cucumber raita with pepper powder.