Dates mawa halwa recipe. A soft set burfi or halwa recipe made under 10 minutes with just 3 ingredients – dates, mawa(khoya) and just a tsp of ghee. An amazingly delicious, rich and festive treat for those who are health conscious and prefer to stay away from sugar. This recipe can be used to make halwa or a soft set burfi or even a ladoo. It tastes very much like a mawa peda but with all the goodness of natural sweetener and no refined sugar. The taste of dates goes unnoticed due to the fragrance of mawa.
For more halwa varieties, You can check this collection of halwa recipes. For more diwali recipes, you can also check this collection of 100 + diwali sweets and snacks.
Dates halwa or dates burfi make a wonderful dessert to share with family and friends on any festive occasion or parties. This recipe can also be used to make dates mawa ladoo, make the balls, roll them in coarsely ground nuts or desiccated coconut. They can also be stuffed with sweetened mawa and nuts.
I have used a tsp of ghee since it is not good to heat a nonstick without ghee or oil. You can skip that or use any other kind of fats. For this recipe, i have used medjool dates. They are soft and yield a good texture to any dessert. Please note that hard variety of dates, need to be soaked first and then used.
Find Dates halwa recipe with mawa
Dates halwa recipe | Dates burfi recipe | Dates mawa ladoo
Quick, delicious , rich and healthy festive dessert. No sugar added except dates. Great to enjoy during festive fastings.
Ingredients (240 ml cup used)
- 300 grams dates (seedless)
- 200 grams mawa / khoya / milk solids
- 1 tsp ghee
- nuts chopped as needed (optional)
- 1 tsp rose water
How to make the recipe
- Chop dates and blend them in a mixer in 3 batches. If the dates are hard, they can be soaked in very little milk until softened.
- Heat a pan with ghee, add dates and mawa. Mix and cook until well blended for about 4 minutes.
- When the mixture is done, it will leave the sides of the pan. It turns to a mass as well.
- Transfer this to a greased tray. Level it with a greased spoon. Tuck in the nuts if using.
- Cool dates halwa and then cut to desired shapes and sizes. or make ladoos with small portions of this mixture.
How to make dates halwa recipe or dates mawa ladoo
1. Chop 300 grams of dates and mash or blend them in a blender until smooth. If you are using hard variety dates, you may need to soak them in hot milk for a while to soften them. If you do not have a powerful blender, then blend them in 3 different batches or mashing would be sufficient.
2. Bring 200 grams mawa to room temperature.
3. Add ghee to a pan and heat it on a low flame.
4. Add the mashed dates.
5. Add mawa / khoya.
6. Keep the flame to low, keep mixing both until well combined.
7. With in 2 to 3 minutes, mawa melts and blends well with dates. Under 4 minutes, the mixture leaves the sides of the pan. Turns to a mass.
8. Add it to a greased foil or parchment paper. Level it well with greased hands or spatula. Tuck in chopped pista and almonds.Allow it to cool down completely.
9. Cut to desired shapes and sizes. You can also cool this mixture and roll to balls. You can also stuff mawa, sugar and nuts in the ladoo. To stuff, Mix 1/2 tbsp powdered sugar and 2 tbsp mawa. Set this aside. Take small portions of this mixture, make a round ball, flatten them. Place little mawa mixture, nuts. Cover it up and roll the ladoo.
Refrigerate and consume within 3 days.