Dosakaya pickle recipe – Dosavkaya is a Indian pickle from andhra cuisine made using yellow cucumber. This is similar to the Avakaya that is made using mangoes. This dosakaya pickle is mostly made when the stock of mango pickle finishes and mangoes are not in season to make fresh one. This however does not taste like the mango pickle but the flavors are almost the same and is liked by many telugu speaking folks. This is usually served in some marriages & temples serving meals during festivals, celebrations or religious ceremonies.
I had some readers requests for this recipe so sharing my version which has the same flavors of this mango pickle. This pickle can be made in just 20 minutes and is very flavorful and hot. This is served with rice, ghee and pappu (andhra style dal). I made this dosakaya pickle late in the night, so I have just few step by step pictures.
I have used lemon juice that was extracted from 1 medium sized lemon. This is optional and is needed if your cucumber is not tangy. Mine was moderately tangy but we like our pickles to be slightly sour so I have used.
How to make dosakaya pickle
1. Wash the cucumber and wipe it thoroughly. Allow to dry completely. Make sure the chopping board, knife, bowl and spoons are all completely dry.
2. Cut the cucumber to 2 and check if it is bitter by tasting it. Sometimes yellow cucumbers turn out to be bitter. Deseed and cube to 1 inch pieces.
3. Add to a wide bowl along with the rest of the dry ingredients.
4. Add salt as needed. 1 tsp worked out well for me. Do adjust and take care not to add too much. Mix everything well.
5. Add oil and give a good stir. Cover with an airtight lid and set aside in a dry place for 24 to 48 hours. After 24 hours the cucumber begins to release the juices and the pickle comes to a good consistency. Wash lemon and dry it completely and then squeeze in the juice. Mix well.
If needed add more oil and salt. Store in a clean and dry glass or ceramic jar. Refrigerate and use up within 7 to 10 days. Handle the pickle with moist free spoons and hands.
Serve dosakaya pickle with rice, ghee and dal.
Dosakaya pickle recipe
Ingredients (1 cup = 240ml )
- 1 cup cucumber heaped / dosakaya pieces (about 1 inch)
- 2 tbsp mustard powder / avapindi
- 2 tbsp red chili powder
- 1 pinch methi seeds
- lemon juice as needed (I used 1 medium sized lemon)
- 1 tsp salt
- Oil as needed ( about 2 to 3 tbsp)
- 2 Garlic cloves crushed (optional, I did not use)
- Wash cucumber well and wipe off with a clean cloth. Allow to dry completely.
- Deseed the cucumber. Cut to 1 inch cubes. Add them to a clean and dry bowl.
- Add all the dry ingredients and toss or mix well.
- Add 2 tbsp oil and mix well.
- Cover with a air tight lid and set aside for 20 to 48 hours.
- Wash and dry lemon completely. Extract the juice and set aside.
- Mix well with a dry spoon and add lemon juice to suit your taste. You can also add more oil if needed to bring it to a consistency.
- Store dosakaya pickle in a air tight glass jar. It keeps good for about 10 days in refrigerator.
Alternative quantities provided in the recipe card are for 1x only, original recipe.
For best results follow my detailed step-by-step photo instructions and tips above the recipe card.
NUTRITION INFO (estimation only)
© Swasthi’s Recipes