Moringa tree is commonly called as a drumstick tree in India. The leaves of this tree are edible and are well known for their medicinal properties and is very commonly used to make stir fry, dal, sambar or drumstick curry. Though we had drumstick trees in our backyard, my mom never used these leaves to prepare any dishes. It was only the drumsticks that were more often used.
Drumstick leaves are said to normalize the blood sugars and are recommended to be used regularly. So we started using these for the past few years. They can be used in many ways, one of the best ways I chose is to make a stir fry along with a vegetable like potato or cauliflower or sweet potato.
My kids eat well if prepared with potatoes, so this time I chose to make it this way. I do not use any onions for this. If you wish you can. Drumstick leaves stir fry goes well with rasam and steamed rice.
When only drumstick leaves are stir fried we are left with very little quantity, hence it is a good idea to use them with other vegetables.
find drumstick leaves recipe below
Ingredients (1 cup = 240ml )
- 3 potatoes large boiled , (peeled and cubed)
- 2 cups drumstick leaves (adjust to suit your taste)
- 3 garlic cloves crushed
- 1 sprig curry leaves
- 1 tbsp urad dal (minappapu)
- 1 tbsp chana dal (senaga pappu)
- 3 to 4 green chilies slit or red chili powder
- 1 Pinch hing
- 1 red chili broken
- 1 ½ tbsp Oil
- 1 Pinch turmeric
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1 Pinch mustard
How to make the recipe
- Separate the leaves from the stalks and wash thoroughly in enough water, drain the leaves in a colander to remove water thoroughly.
- Boil potatoes. Do not make them mushy, peel the skin and cube them. Set aside.
- Heat a pan with oil, add cumin, mustard, dals, garlic and red chili. Fry till the dals turn golden. Add curry leaves and green chilies fry for 2 mins.
- Add boiled potatoes, salt, turmeric and fry for 3 to 4 mins
- Increase the flame to medium high. Add the leaves and fry till they wilt off. keep stirring and do not over fry to retain the nutrients.
- Serve drumstick leaves stir fry with rice and sambar or rasam.
NUTRITION (estimation only)
Alternative quantities provided in the recipe card are for 1x only, original recipe.
For best results follow my detailed step-by-step photo instructions and tips.