Egg bonda recipe also called as egg bajji or egg pakora. To make these delicious bonda or bajji, boiled eggs are dipped in a spiced batter and deep fried until golden. Chopped onions, lemon juice and coriander leaves can be topped over these and enjoyed. These can be served as a evening snack or a starter in a meal.
Egg pakora or pakoda can be made quickly, if you have boiled eggs ready. It makes a good addition to a party menu or a get together.
Preparation to make egg bonda or egg bajji recipe
1. Add besan, ajwain (vaamu), salt, red chilli powder, masala powder, rice flour (or corn flour) and turmeric.
2. Mix everything well.
3. This one and the next step are optional but this adds a lot of flavor. Add cubed onions, ginger garlic paste and green chili to a blender. You can also use ginger garlic.
4. Pour 1 to 2 tbsp. water and make a fine paste.
5. Add this to the pokara mix. Also pour enough water and make batter.
6. The consistency of the batter should not be very thin or very thick. If the consistency is very thick, it will not coat the egg. If very thin, then it will drip.
7. Remove the shells from hard boiled eggs. Pierce each egg 4 times randomly, once on each side with fork. Slice them and set aside. I sliced one egg to 3 slices. If using large eggs, you may slice to 4. Do not use whole egg to make pakora, it may burst.
How to make egg bonda or egg bajji recipe
8. Add each slice to the batter. Flip it gently in the batter.
9. Make sure the egg is coated well with batter. With the help of a steel table spoon lift it from the batter.
10. Drop it gently in hot oil and fry.
11. After few minutes, flip it to the other side and fry until golden on both sides.
12. Drain them on a kitchen tissue.
13. Chop onions, coriander and squeeze off little lemon juice. Mix them well.
14. Top the egg bonda or bajjis with onions mixture. Egg bonda or bajji is ready.
Egg pakora or egg bonda or Egg bajji
Ingredients (1 cup = 240ml )
- 4 to 5 boiled eggs
- ½ cup besan or gram flour
- 2 tbsp rice flour or corn flour
- 1/8 tsp ajwain/ vaamu/ caram seeds
- ¼ tsp red chili powder (use as needed)
- salt as needed
- little turmeric
- ½ tsp meat masala or garam masala (optional)
- water as needed
- oil for deep frying
to blend (optional)
- 1 medium onion
- 1 green chilli
- 1 tsp ginger garlic paste
- Slice the hard boiled eggs and set aside. Pierce them with fork randomly, 4 times on each egg covering all the sides. This prevents the eggs from bursting. Slice each egg to 3.
- Blend together onion, chili and ginger garlic with 2 tbsp. water to make a fine paste.
- Mix together besan, salt, turmeric, masala powder, rice flour, chili powder and ajwain.
- Add onion paste to this and make a batter using more water as needed.
Making egg bonda
- Heat oil to deep fry, when the oil is hot enough. dip each slice in the batter. Fry in hot oil until golden.
- Top egg bonda with chopped lemon onions and serve.
NUTRITION (estimation only)
Alternative quantities provided in the recipe card are for 1x only, original recipe.
For best results follow my detailed step-by-step photo instructions and tips above the recipe card.
© Swasthi’s Recipes