Veg pakora recipe – Vegetable pakora are quick deep fried snacks made with chickpea flour or besan and any vegetable. Mostly it is the onions that is used to make pakora, but any other vegetables can be used like Potatoes, cauliflower, cabbage, Bellpeppers/ capsicum, eggplant/brinjal etc. These vegetable pakora can be made using mixed vegetables and leafy greens like palak or methi.
I made these on a weekend when I was left with very few veggies from the previous week. I know deep frying veggies isn’t a good idea, but I do it when i have surplus veggies.
These pakoda turn out crunchy & extremely delicious. Surely they will be loved by everyone. These make a good weekend or evening snack and can be made easily even when you have guests home.
Pakora recipe | Vegetable pakora recipe
Ingredients (1 cup = 240ml )
Ingredients for pakora recipe
- ½ cup besan or gram flour (add little more if needed)
- ¼ cup rice flour or corn flour (add little more if needed proportionally with besan)
- salt as needed
- ½ tsp carom seeds or ajwain (to suit your taste)
- 3 green chilies chopped (adjust)
- handful mint or pudina or coriander or dill leaves chopped
- 1 tsp ginger garlic paste or crushed
- ¼ to ½ tsp garam masala powder
- oil for deep frying as needed
mixed veggies julienned 2.5 to 3 cups
- 1 medium carrot or ¾ cup julienned
- ¼ cup capsicum
- 1 cup cabbage shredded
- 1 medium onion thinly sliced
- 6 french beans
Preparation for pakora recipe
- Wash the veggies and cut to thin 2 inch long strips.
- Add them to a bowl along with ginger garlic, chilies, salt, green chili, garam masala, mint or other herbs.
- Mix well & squeeze them gently to release moisture. Keep aside for 10 mins.
- Add the flour along with ajwain. Mix well to make a dough. Adjust salt if needed. Add few tbsps water if needed to make a dough.
How to make pakora
- Heat oil in a deep pan. When the oil is hot enough, drop small portions of the dough after flattening a bit. Keep stirring and fry on a medium heat until lightly golden.
- Finish frying the dough in batches.
- Serve vegetable pakora hot.
Preparation to make vegetable pakora
1. Wash the veggies thoroughly. I have used 1 cup shredded cabbage, 1 medium onion sliced, ¼ cup capsicum, 1 medium carrot, 4 to 5 french beans julienned. Make sure you remove or chop off the bean inside the french beans. They may burst while frying.
You can use other veggies like cauliflower, broccoli, bhindi, potatoes, sweet potatoes, brinjal etc. Make sure all the veggies are almost of uniform size, thin and long. This helps in even frying.
2. You can also add chopped spinach, methi, coriander, dill or pudina/ mint leaves. I used a handful of mint leaves, they add a great aroma. Also add chopped green chilies, crushed ginger garlic or paste, little garam masala and salt.
How to make pakora mix
3. Mix all these and squeeze the veggies a bit to let out moisture from them. The mixture begins to smell very good. Set aside for about 10 mins.
4. Add besan/ chickpea flour, ajwain and rice flour.
5. Mix everything well to make a dough. If needed you can sprinkle few tbsps of water. I did not use any water, moisture from veggies was sufficient to make a dough. Adjust the salt and chilies as needed by tasting the dough.
How to make pakora
6. Heat oil in a pan. When it is hot enough, adjust the flame to medium. Take small portions of this dough, slightly flatten. Drop in hot oil. Keep stirring for even frying.
7. Fry until lightly golden. Transfer to a kitchen or absorbent tissue.
Serve mix veg pakora hot.