Egg Butter Masala (Egg Makhani)
Egg Mutter Masala Recipe – Makhani recipe or butter masala is usually made with paneer or chicken. Making it with egg is uncommon, but surely a great one for those who love eggs or want to avoid paneer or chicken. The gravy tastes amazingly delicious with the flavors of butter roasted eggs.
Egg butter masala goes very well as a side with almost anything like plain rice, roti, pulao, jeera rice, butter naan and even with biryani. This is one of my most preferred dishes to go with variety rice and even with biryani when I have guests home.
It is easy, quick to prepare, tastes delicious and makes a meal delightful. Though made in the same way as the paneer butter masala, this gravy tastes very different due to the addition of butter roasted eggs.
Egg butter masala goes well with any of the following along with some onion, carrot, cucumber wedges
How to Make Egg Butter Masala (Stepwise Photos)
1. Heat 1 tablespoons butter in a pan. I suggest not to substitute butter with oil. Eggs roasted in butter taste and smell very good.
2. Prick boiled eggs with fork few times. Roast them until golden. Set these aside
3. To the same pan, add onions, tomatoes, cashews and salt. Saute on a high to medium flame until tomatoes turn soft and mushy. If needed cover and cook. Do not saute on a low flame.
4. Add chili powder and turmeric.
5. Fry until the raw smell of the chili powder goes away.
6. Cool and add to a blender jar with ¾ cup water.
7. Blend to a smooth puree.
8. Add another 1 tbsp butter. Fry a small cinnamon stick, cloves and cardamom. I have not used ginger garlic paste at this stage but added ginger at step 13. If you like to use ginger garlic, you can add it now and saute until the raw smell goes off.
9. Pour the onion tomato puree. Add more water as needed to bring it to a consistency. I used ¼ cup water.
10. Cover and cook.
11. After a while the gravy thickens. Add garam masala and coriander powder. Cook further for a while.
12. You can see the fat from butter visible lightly on the gravy. Sprinkle kasuri methi.
13. Add eggs, juliennes of ginger and lower the flame. Cook covered for about 2 to 3 mins.
If you like you can also add cream. Garnish with coriander leaves.
Egg Butter Masala
For best results follow the step-by-step photos above the recipe card
Ingredients (US cup = 240ml )
- 3 to 4 hard boiled eggs
- 2 tbsp butter
- ¾ cup onions , cubed
- 1 cup tomatoes , ripe , deseeded
- 10 cashew nuts
- salt as needed
- ¾ tsp red chili powder
- turmeric as needed
- 2 cloves
- 2 cardamoms / elaichi
- 1 stick cinnamon small
- ½ to ¾ tsp garam masala
- ½ tsp coriander powder (optional)
- ¼ tsp kasuri methi
- ginger juilennes or ginger garlic paste
How to Make Egg Butter Masala
- Prick the boiled eggs with a fork and saute them in 1 tbsp hot butter until golden. Set these aside.
- In the same pan, saute onions, cashews, tomatoes and salt on a medium to high flame.
- When the tomatoes turn mushy, add chili powder and turmeric.
- Fry until the raw smell goes away.
- Cool this and blend with 3/4 cup water.
- Heat 1 tbsp butter and add cinnamon, cardamoms and cloves. If using ginger garlic paste, saute it now until the raw smell goes off.
- Pour the puree to the pan and add little more water to bring the gravy to a consistency.
- Cook until the gravy thickens. Add garam masala and coriander powder, cook until you see the fats separated. Add kasuri methi and cook for 1 to 2 mins.
- Add eggs, ginger juliennes and stir.
- Cover and cook for 2 to 3 mins. If you want you may add some cream
- Garnish with coriander leaves.
Alternative quantities provided in the recipe card are for 1x only, original recipe.
For best results follow my detailed step-by-step photo instructions and tips above the recipe card.
NUTRITION INFO (estimation only)
© Swasthi’s Recipes
I’m Swasthi Shreekanth, the recipe developer, food photographer & food writer behind Swasthi’s Recipes. My aim is to help you cook great Indian food with my time-tested recipes. After 2 decades of experience in practical Indian cooking I started this blog to help people cook better & more often at home. Whether you are a novice or an experienced cook I am sure Swasthi’s Recipes will assist you to enhance your cooking skills.
Follow Swasthi’s Recipes
Your recipes are always top notch, amazingly simple and deliciously flavourful.The added tips,step by step pictures helps immensely!Your recipes have been my go- to for all my cravings..Thank you loads 😀
Thank you so much Dani.
Very happy to know you like the recipes
Too good.. Could you please post recipe for egg Pepper gravy.. Iv tried in restraunts. It’s a rich gravy with lots of pepper
I have a pepper chicken recipe you may follow that and replace chicken with boiled eggs.
Awesome recipe.. My husband asks me every other day to make this now..ur egg dum biryani has become a regular dinner for us in the LOCKDOWN. Thankyou for the simple and effective tips.
Haha! Glad to know the recipes are working!
I’m gonna try this for Dinner tonight, with what can I replace the cashews.
You can use blanched almonds as a substitute to cashews.
This is SO good! I normally can’t help but tweak recipes but apart from scaling up I followed your recipe exactly and it was perfect. The whole family loved it.
Greetings from Western Australia 😉
Thanks for trying. Happy to know it turned out good. Have a lovely weekend!
Can I softboil them? or do I have to hardboil? When I fry them will softboiled cook? I like my eggs runny. Do you have any suggestions?
I haven’t tried soft boiled eggs in curry. You can try.
Is there any way to prevent boiled egg from sticking to pan? Was it not boiled enough, then? Or does it need more butter.
Yes boiled eggs do stick to the pan and mess up even though they are fully cooked. Frying them in a non stick pan is best to prevent that.
Hi, the egg butter masala was really quick and simple to do. And it tastes very good. Thank you. Jazaak allahu khairan.
Thanks a ton for the wishes.
Excellent descriptions,,,,,,Thanking you.
Made this today. Such wonderful flavours and exactly like you’d get at a restaurant. And i didn’t even use cashews!
Glad to know it turned out good.
can I use regular oil without butter?? because I don’t have butter
Yes you can make it with oil
It is very much helpfull to read the instructions which you have given and now I can easily cook what ever I wish to be.
Love your vegetarian receipes. So flavoursome and quite easy.
Wow! Just prepared this recipe and it has turned out amazing. It tastes exactly like the gravy made in the restaurant. Thank you ?.
Happy to know you liked it. Thanks for trying
Yummy egg curry.. I can still smell the butter on my hands.. Thank you for sharing tis wonderful recipe.
Glad to know you liked it. Thanks for the feedback
Your recipe is easy, simple and tasty ?. Also do not need any special ingredients everything is available in every kitchen. Thank you for sharing.
So glad to know liked it. Thanks for the feedback
Just one word ‘Awesom’
Thank you Shuraseni
Hello mam your recipies are very simple and easy to make . I have made this recipie and my family liked it very much. Thank you mam .
Welcome And thanks for the feedback. Glad to know you like the recipes.
My husband like different types of food and tasty so for that this all recipe’s good and too health pls keep on sharing lot if recipes because I want to makemy husband happy with my cooking inshaallah
so glad to know you like the recipes. Thanks for the feedback. will surely keep sharing more recipes
Hi hello how ru my dear friend,
I like this swasthi’s recipes very much and very use full and tasty recipes I like this page very much and too easy recipes thanks for sharing this no words to say about this recipes just bye take care
Iam fine. Thank you.
Your comment made me happy. indeed very happy.
Thanks for all the comments on the blog.
Have a nice week ahead.
Hello maam hope u r njoying with ur kids….as this masala looked simple i tried this on sunday, turned out awesome…gt very good coments frm evry1 at home.
.fr the first time i got a good feedbk fr a new dish on my first atempt itself…thank u fr sharing such easy to make recipies with great taste…
Hi Rathika, so glad to hear from you. Hope your baby is alright now. Yes enjoying with the kids at my mum’s place.
Happy to know that you made this butter masala good and got good feedback. Welcome and thanks