Egg masala gravy recipe – A simple, quick, flavorful, hot and delicious egg gravy that pairs well as a side with biryani, chapati and pulao. It also goes well with plain rice or any variety rice like ghee rice, pudina rice, jeera rice, kuska rice or coconut milk rice.
I make egg gravy in so many ways. This dish is great in a unique way as it uses mint leaves which lends an exotic aroma. Also a good kitchen king masala or garam masala is the star of this recipe which ehances the aroma and taste.
Whether you pair it with a biryani, roti, paratha, chapathi) or even a simple pulao, this makes your meal special.
To make egg masala gravy, stick on to the ingredients mentioned. If you do not have kitchen king masala powder, you can replace it with any flavorful garam masala powder. I have suggested using cashew or coconut paste, which gives a very good taste and volume to the gravy.
Egg masala gravy for biryani, chapathi, pulao
Egg masala recipe | Egg masala curry for biryani chapathi
Spicy egg masala gravy that goes great as a side dish with biryani, chapathi, pulao. This is a simple recipe to which you can make some variations to suit your taste like spices and herbs.
Ingredients (240 ml cup used)
- 3 boiled eggs
- 2 tbsp oil
- 1¼ cup onions chopped
- 1 tsp ginger garlic paste
- ¾ cup tomatoes ripe, chopped
- 1 to 2 green chili slit or chopped
- ½ tsp red chili powder
- ¾ to 1 tsp garam masala or kitchen king masala
- 1/8 tsp turmeric or haldi
- ½ tsp Salt
- ½ tsp kasuri methi (optional)
- 2 tbsp Coriander leaves or pudina (mint) chopped finely
- 2 tbsp coconut or 12 cashew nuts (optional)
- 1 bay leaf or 1 sprig curry leaves
- ½ tsp cumin or jeera
- 3 cloves or laung (optional)
- 2 cardamoms or elaichi (optional)
- 1 inch cinnamon or dalchini (optional)
How to make the recipe
Preparation for egg masala gravy
Boil the eggs and remove the shell. Pierce with a fork randomly to make some gashes. This helps the eggs to absorb flavors.
Heat a pan with oil. Add cumin, bay leaf, cloves, cardamoms and cinnamon. Allow them to splutter.
Add onions, sprinkle salt and fry till onions turn slightly brown or caramelize to enhance the aroma.
Optional step - While the onions fry, make a fine paste of the cashews or coconut with some water. You can also blend together tomatoes and cashews.
Add ginger garlic paste to the onions and saute till it becomes fragrant.
Next add tomatoes, fry till they turn mushy.
Add chili powder, turmeric and masala powder. Fry till it begins to smell good.
- Pour the cashew paste or coconut paste, fry till the mix leaves the sides of the pan.
Making egg masala gravy
- Add eggs, mint leaves, coriander leaves. Fry for 2 mins , preferably till you get a mint aroma.
Pour water just enough to partially cover the eggs and cook till the curry thickens.
Sprinkle some kasuri methi.
- Serve egg masala curry with rice, roti or paratha.
How to make egg masala recipe
1. Heat oil in a pan. Add cumin, bay leaf or curry leaves. Also add in cumin, cloves, cardamom and cinnamon. You can also replace these with mustard seeds. Allow them to crackle.
2. Add onions, sprinkle salt and fry till they turn slightly brown. If you can caramelize the onions, it enhances the aroma.
3. Next add ginger garlic paste and fry till the raw smell goes off.
4. Add tomatoes and fry till they turn completely mushy. Soft and blend well with onions.
5. Then add red chili powder, garam masala or kitchenking masala and turmeric.
6. You can leave this if you don’t want to use cashews or coconut. I use it sometimes. Add ground cashew or coconut paste. Blend the cashews with little water to a smooth paste.
7. Fry till the masala dries up and begins to leave oil. This takes around 4 minutes.
How to make egg masala recipe
8. Add eggs, mint & coriander leaves.
9. Fry for 2 minutes. You can also skip adding the eggs here. Fry them in 1 tbsp oil in a different pan. Sprinkle chilli powder and add it later to the boiling gravy.
10. Pour water just enough to make a thick gravy. I used little more than 3/4 cup. Cook till the egg gravy thickens, for about 3 to 4 minutes.
Serve egg masala gravy with biryani or chapathi or pulao.