Egg masala gravy recipe – A simple, quick, flavorful, hot and delicious egg gravy that pairs well as a side with plain basmati rice, biryani, chapati, paratha and pulao. It also goes well with any flavored variety rice recipes like ghee rice, pudina rice, jeera rice, kuska rice or coconut milk rice.
Egg masala gravy is a Indian dish made with boiled eggs, onions, tomatoes, whole spices & spice powders. There are numerous ways an egg gravy is made in India. Each home & region may have a different recipe.
I make egg gravy in so many ways. The egg masala recipe shared here will yield you a very delicious, aromatic & moderately spicy dish. It has a unique aroma that comes from the mint leaves (pudina) & whole spices used.
Also a good spice powder like a kitchen king masala or garam masala is the star of this recipe which enhances the aroma and taste.
Whether you pair it with a biryani, roti, paratha, chapathi) or even a simple pulao, this makes your meal special.
To make egg masala gravy, stick on to the ingredients mentioned. If you do not have kitchen king masala powder, you can replace it with any flavorful garam masala powder.
Egg masala gravy
Ingredients (1 cup = 240ml )
- 3 boiled eggs
- 2 tbsp oil
- 1¼ cup onions chopped (about 2 large)
- 1½ tsp ginger garlic paste or fine chopped
- ¾ cup tomatoes ripe, chopped (about 2 large)
- 1 to 2 green chili slit or chopped
- ½ to ¾ tsp red chili powder or paprika
- ¾ to 1 tsp garam masala or kitchen king masala
- 1/8 tsp turmeric or haldi
- ½ tsp Salt
- ½ tsp kasuri methi (optional)
- 2 tbsp mint or pudina leaves or coriander leaves or both
- 3 tbsp curd or yogurt or coconut or 12 cashew nuts
- 1 bay leaf or 1 sprig curry leaves
- ½ tsp cumin or jeera
- 3 cloves or laung (optional)
- 2 cardamoms or elaichi (optional)
- 1 inch cinnamon or dalchini (optional)
How to make the recipe
- Pour 3 cups water to a pot. Gently place the rinsed eggs and boil on a medium heat. Cover the pot & boil until you see cracks on the eggs. Turn off the stove and rest the eggs for 10 mins. Discard the water & keep the eggs immersed in cold water to cool down.
- Then remove the shell. Pierce with a fork randomly to make some gashes. This helps the eggs to absorb the flavors.
How to make egg masala
- Heat a pan with oil. Add cumin, bay leaf, cloves, cardamoms and cinnamon. Allow them to splutter.
- Add onions, sprinkle salt and fry till onions turn slightly brown or caramelize to enhance the aroma.
- Optional step – Skip this step if using yogurt. While the onions fry, make a fine paste of the cashews or coconut with some water. You can also blend together tomatoes and cashews.
- Add ginger garlic paste to the onions and saute till it becomes fragrant.
- Next add tomatoes, fry till they turn mushy.
- Add chili powder, turmeric and garam masala powder. Fry till it begins to smell good.
- Pour the yogurt or cashew paste or coconut paste, fry till the mix leaves the sides of the pan.
Making egg masala gravy
- Add eggs, mint leaves, coriander leaves. Fry for 2 mins , preferably till you get a mint aroma.
- Pour water just enough to partially cover the eggs. Cook covered till the egg masala thickens.
- Sprinkle some kasuri methi if you have.
- Serve egg masala curry with rice, roti or paratha.
NUTRITION (estimation only)
If you are a beginner or new to Indian cooking, I highly suggest you to check the supporting step by step photos for best results. Step by step photos with description available below after the recipe card.
1.Pour 3 cups water to a pot. Rinse eggs under running water and gently place them in the pot. Cover & begin to boil the eggs on a medium flame.
2. The cook time of eggs differs by variety. So a good indication of a hard boiled eggs is when you see the cracks on the shell. Turn off the stove & rest for 10 minutes. Remove the eggs and add cold water to the pot.
3.Keep the eggs immersed in cold water until you they cool down slightly. Shell the eggs and pierce them with a fork.
4. To enhance the taste either you can use eggs or make a paste of coconut or cashews. To make the paste just add coconut or cashews to a blender. Pour 2 to 3 tbsps water & make a smooth paste.Set this aside.
How to make egg masala recipe
1. Heat oil in a pan. Add cumin, bay leaf or curry leaves. Also add in cumin, cloves, cardamom and cinnamon. You can also replace these with mustard seeds. Allow them to crackle.
2. Add onions, sprinkle salt and fry till they turn slightly brown. If you can caramelize the onions, it enhances the aroma.
3. Next add ginger garlic paste and fry till the raw smell goes off.
4. Add tomatoes and fry till they turn completely mushy. Soft and blend well with onions.
5. Then add red chili powder, garam masala or kitchenking masala and turmeric.
6. You can leave this if you don’t want to use cashews or coconut. I use it sometimes. Add ground cashew or coconut paste. Blend the cashews with little water to a smooth paste.
7. Fry till the masala dries up and begins to leave oil. This takes around 4 minutes.
How to make egg masala recipe
8. Add eggs, mint & coriander leaves.
9. Fry for 2 minutes. You can also skip adding the eggs here. Fry them in 1 tbsp oil in a different pan. Sprinkle chilli powder and add it later to the boiling gravy.
10. Pour water just enough to make a thick gravy. I used little more than 3/4 cup. Cook till the egg gravy thickens, for about 3 to 4 minutes.
Serve egg masala gravy with biryani or chapathi or pulao.