Egg dosa recipe also known as mutta dosa is a popular street food from South India. One gets to see a variety of egg dosa especially on the streets of Tamil Nadu. Some are smeared with curry and some with spice powders or with veggies. I am sharing a simple home style recipe. It can be enjoyed as a breakfast or evening snack and needs no accompaniment.
To make the egg dosa, regular dosa batter is used. You can also use restaurant style masala dosa batter. If you follow the food combining rules then you can just use any other dosa batter like instant jowar or oats or poha dosa batter that has no dal/lentils or curd in it. I have used a batter that has just rice and poha in it. Will share the recipe shortly.
How to make egg dosa
1. Get the ingredients ready. Batter, 1 egg and few chopped onions, grated carrots (optional), green chili and coriander leaves. If you like to make the street style egg dosa, you will also need some chunky curry /gravy.
2. Grease a tawa and heat it. Pour one full laddle of batter and spread it. Do not make a very thin dosa. I prefer to keep the edges thick to prevent the egg flowing out of the dosa. Cook until the batter slightly gets cooked. You can smear 1 tbsp thick curry , chutney or sauce if you have.
3. Pour the egg in the center.
4. Break the yolk with a spoon and spread it evenly around the dosa.
5. Add veggies.
6. Add oil around the edges. If using curry, add a tbsp of it and spread it over gently.
7. Flip it and press with a wooden spoon. Cook until the egg has done well. The color of your dosa depends on the ratio used for making the batter. As i mentioned mine has no dal in it, so it looks white.
8. Cook it until the dosa turns crispy.
Serve hot with a chutney. It tastes good even without a side.
Egg dosa recipe
Ingredients (US cup = 240ml )
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup dosa batter
- 1 onion medium , thinly sliced or chopped
- 2 green chilies chopped
- coriander leaves Few
- carrot few , gratings (optional)
- Salt as needed
- 2 tsps oil
- 1 to 2 tbsps sauce or any thick curry (optional)
- If your dosa batter is very thick, bring it to a right consistency by adding little water. It must be of spreading consistency yet on the thicker side.
- Do not use very hot curry. Bring it to room temperature before using.
How to make egg dosa
- Heat a greased tawa until hot.
- Pour 1 ladle of dosa batter and spread it slightly thick towards the edges. Allow to cook for 1 min.
- If you have any thick curry, then you can add it and spread it over the dosa. This is optional.
- Pour the egg and break the yolk. Spread the yolk around the dosa.
- Add the veggies evenly. Cook until the base firms. Add oil around the edges.
- Flip it and press gently with a wooden spoon to ensure egg is cooked well.
- Flip back and cook until the egg dosa turns crisp.
- Serve egg dosa hot.
Alternative quantities provided in the recipe card are for 1x only, original recipe.
For best results follow my detailed step-by-step photo instructions and tips above the recipe card.
NUTRITION INFO (estimation only)
© Swasthi’s Recipes