Set dosa recipe – learn how to make set dosa with step by step photos. Dosa is a South Indian thin lentil crepe popular across the globe. There are so many kinds of dosas that are made regularly in most South Indian homes. To know more check this restaurant style masala dosa recipe and this collection of crispy dosa recipes too. Set dosa is a popular breakfast served in most fast food or tiffin centers in Bangalore and other parts of Karnataka.
A set of soft and thick spongy dosas are served together with coconut chutney and sagu. This is a basic set dosa recipe that can even be used to make dosas without oil on a nonstick tawa.
These turn out to be soft, mouth melting and spongy with a delicate texture. These are different from the poha dosa called as atukala dosa in telugu.
To make good set dosa, proper fermentation of the batter is very important otherwise they don’t yield porous and spongy dosa. Urad dal, rice, fenugreek seeds and poha are the ingredients that are used to make the batter.
Fermentation time varies or depends on the climatic conditions or season. Due to the cold weather, this time i had to ferment it for 18 hours to raise the batter well, but the batter did not turn sour.
Set dosa can be served to babies over 10 months, make sure you do not use sour batter if making for baby.
Preparation for set dosa
1. Wash and soak rice and urad dal with fenugreek seeds separately for about 5 hours. Wash poha or aval just before grinding.
2. Add soaked urad dal, fenugreek seeds, salt and washed aval to the blender jar.
3. Pour 1 cup of water and blend till smooth and bubbly. If needed add more water. i added 1/4 to 1/2 cup more water. Transfer it to a large bowl.
4. Add rice to the blender jar with 1/4 to 1/2 cup water and blend to smooth.
5. Transfer this to the bowl containing urad dal batter. Mix everything well until combined. The batter should not be very thin or very thick else it may not ferment well.
6. Cover and set aside in a warm place till it ferments and raises well. Usually it takes around 8 to 12 hours depending on the temperature.
7. After fermentation, it almost doubled.
How to make set dosa
8. Heat a tawa, Gently stir the batter for combining everything well. Test by sprinkling little water if the tawa is hot. A hot tawa sizzles, when water is sprinkled.Pour one ladle of batter on the tawa and gently dab it to spread slightly, do not spread like the regular dosa. The size of these dosas will be small. The flame of the stove should not be very high otherwise they turn brown at the bottom without cooking.If the tawa is not hot enough, you may not get a good spongy dosa. Sprinkle oil around the edges, you can skip it as well if you are on a oil free diet.
9. Set dosa is not cooked on the inner side, the batter is very airy that cooking it from the bottom, cooks on the inner side as well. However I prefer to cover and cook for a little while and then without the lid, i cook further to make them crispy from the outer side.This is optional. If you are particular about cooking it on the other side, you can flip it and cook on the other side as well.
11. Serve set dosa hot with your favorite chutney. We had it with beetroot chutney.
Ingredients (US cup = 240ml )
- 2 cups raw rice or parboiled rice (like idli rice or masoori or any rice)
- 1 cup poha medium attukulu or avalakki
- ½ cup urad dal or skinned black gram
- 1 ½ teaspoons fenugreek seeds or menthulu or methi
- salt as needed non iodised
- oil or butter as needed
- Soaking : To make set dosa recipe, firstly add rice to a large bowl and wash very well a few times. Then soak in ample amount of water for about 5 hours. Add urad dal and fenugreek seeds to another bowl and rinse them a few times. Then soak in ample amount of water for about 5 hours. Wash poha just before grinding the batter.
- Making batter: Drain the water from from both the bowls. Add urad dal, salt, fenugreek seeds and poha to a blender jar along with 1 cup water. Blend them till bubbly. If needed add more water to grind the batter smooth & frothy. Do not add too much water, batter should not be very runny.
- Transfer the batter to a large batter bowl. Add rice to the jar along with 1/4 cup water. Grind to a smooth batter. Pour this to the urad dal batter. Mix everything well till well combined.
- Fermenting : Set aside in a warm place for 8 to 12 hours for the batter to ferment and rise well.
How to make set dosa
- Add few drops of oil to a tawa. Using a tissue or cut onion spread the oil very well. Heat the tawa. Mix the batter gently.
- Pour one ladle full of batter and dab it gently to spread the batter do not spread like a normal dosa. Add oil across the edges.
- Cover and cook for a while until it is cooked inside. You can flip and cook it for a minute on the inner side as well.
- To get a crispy set dosa, lower the flame and cook for a while. Sprinkle idli podi if you have it or serve hot with chutney. Repeat making more set dosa on the tawa.
Alternative quantities provided in the recipe card are for 1x only, original recipe.
For best results follow my detailed step-by-step photo instructions and tips above the recipe card.
NUTRITION INFO (estimation only)
© Swasthi’s Recipes