Schezwan sauce recipe – Quick and easy recipe to make schezwan sauce at home. Indian Chinese cuisine has brought many innovative, unique, mouth watering and delicious foods which most of us love. Foods flavored with schezwan sauce are one of the well know from this cuisine.
Schezwan fried rice, schezwan noodles, schezwan snacks are made using this sauce. It is also served with snacks as a condiment. Here is the recipe to make hot, delicious and uniquely flavorful schezwan sauce.
Schezwan sauce gets its flavor from ingredients like celery, schezwan pepper, ginger garlic and soya sauce.
Schezwan sauce recipe
Schezwan sauce recipe | How to make schezwan sauce
Ingredients (1 cup = 240ml )
Ingredients for schezwan sauce
- 25 to 28 dried red chilies 1 cup (less spicy variety)
- 1 cup hot water to soak chilies
- ¼ cup oil (preferably sesame oil)
- 2 tbsps garlic chopped finely
- 1 tbsp ginger chopped finely
- 8 to 10 sichuan peppers crushed (optional)
- 3 tbsps onions chopped very finely – 1 small
- ½ cup water for sauce
- 1 to 1 ½ tbsp sugar
- ¾ to 1 tsp salt (I used 1 tsp sea salt)
- ¾ tbsp soya sauce prefer naturally brewed soy sauce
- ¾ tbsp vinegar (rice or apple cider)
- ¼ tsp pepper powder
- ¼ cup chopped celery (optional)
- 2 tbsp tomato sauce or ketchup
How to make the recipe
Preparation for schezwan sauce
- Add the red chilies to a bowl and soak them in hot water for 30 mins. To reduce the heat you can deseed and use them.
- Meanwhile chop onions, ginger and garlic.
- After 30 mins, add the red chilies to a blender jar. Make a fine paste. If needed you can add 1 to 2 tbsp water. Set this aside.
How to make schezwan sauce
- Heat oil in a pan. Saute garlic, ginger and sichuan pepper for 2 mins. If using celery, add it now.
- Add onions and fry until they turn transparent. Do not brown the ginger garlic as they may lend a bitter taste.
- Stir in the chili paste, sugar, salt and pepper powder. Saute for 2 mins. Pour half cup water and mix well.
- Cover and cook on a medium heat till the sauce turns thick.
- Open the lid and cook further stirring often until oil begins to separate.
- When you see the mixture begins to leave the sides of the pan, add soya sauce and vinegar. Schezwan sauce must taste hot with hints of sour and sweetness.
- Optional – If using tomato sauce add it now.
- Mix well and cook just for 1 to 2 mins. Taste it and add more salt or vinegar if needed.
- Cool schezwan sauce completely and store it in a glass jar. Refrigerate for better shelf life.
Using Schezwan sauce
- The prepared sauce can be enjoyed as a side dip with snacks. It can be used to make noodles, fried rice or schezwan snacks.
- To make fried rice or noodles, heat 1 tbsp oil in a wok. Fry onions and bell peppers on a high flame. Then add the rice or noodles and sauce as desired. Mix and fry on a high flame for 2 mins.
Video of Schezwan sauce recipe
- Use less spicy variety chilies. I have used byadgi chilies but kashmiri chilies can also be used.
- Sichuan peppers lends a unique citrus flavor to the sauce. There is no substitute to this. If you do not have, just skip it.
Preparation for schezwan sauce recipe
1. Add red chilies to a bowl. I deseed the chilies and use as it reduces the heat. I have used 1 cup red chilies (tightly packed), about 25 to 28.
2. Pour hot water and soak them for 30 mins.
3. They turn soft after soaking.
4. Add them to a blender jar. If needed add 2 tbsps water.
5. Make a fine paste.
How to make schezwan sauce
6. Heat oil in a pan. I have used 4 tbsps i.e 1/4 cup oil. Do not reduce it otherwise the sauce doesn’t taste good.
7. Add ginger, garlic and crushed sichuan peppers. If you do not have sichuan peppers, you can skip. But they add a unique citrus aroma to the schezwan sauce. Saute for 2 mins.
8. If using celery, add it now. Add finely chopped onions as well and then saute till they turn transparent. Do not brown the ginger garlic.
9. Add the chili paste.
10. Saute for 2 to 3 mins.
11. Pour half cup water.
12. Add sugar, salt and pepper as well.
Cooking schezwan sauce
13. Mix well. Cook covered on a medium flame again till the sauce turns thick.
14. Cook further till oil separates. You can see traces of oil around the sides.
15. Next stir in the soya sauce. I have used organic soya sauce. You may need to adjust the quantity if using any other kind.
16. Add vinegar. I used apple cider vinegar. You can also use rice vinegar.
17. Finally mix well and cook just for 2 mins.
Cool the schezwan sauce completely. Store it in a glass jar. Keep refrigerated for better shelf life. Keeps good for about 2 months.