Schezwan sauce recipe – Quick and easy recipe to make schezwan sauce at home. Indian Chinese cuisine has brought about many innovative, unique, mouth watering and delicious foods which most of us love. Foods flavored with schezwan sauce are one of the well know from this cuisine. Schezwan fried rice, schezwan noodles, schezwan snacks are made using this sauce. Here is the recipe to make hot, delicious and uniquely flavorful schezwan sauce.
Making spicy Fried rice and Noodles is a breeze if you have this sauce in your Fridge. You can also use it for shrimp, egg or chicken noodles and fried rice. This can also be used with any of your tea time Snacks like cutlets, spring rolls and pakoras.
Schezwan sauce recipe
Schezwan Sauce Recipe | How to make schezwan sauce
This schezwan sauce is a flavorful, spicy and hot condiment that is used to make fried rice, noodles, appetizers, schezwan snacks. It can also be served with snacks.
Ingredients (240 ml cup used)
Ingredients for schezwan sauce
- 25 to 28 dried red chilies - 1 cup (less spicy variety)
- 1 cup hot water to soak chilies
- ¼ cup oil (preferably sesame oil)
- 2 tbsps garlic chopped finely
- 1 tbsp ginger chopped finely
- 8 to 10 sichuan peppers crushed (optional)
- 3 tbsps onions chopped very finely - 1 small
- ½ cup water for sauce
- 1 to 1 ½ tbsp sugar
- ¾ to 1 tsp salt (I used 1 tsp sea salt)
- ¾ tbsp soya sauce prefer naturally brewed soy sauce
- ¾ tbsp vinegar (rice or apple cider)
- ¼ tsp pepper powder
- ¼ cup chopped celery (optional)
How to make the recipe
Preparation for schezwan sauce
- To reduce the heat from the red chilies, you can deseed them and use.
- Add them to a bowl and pour hot water.
- Let them soak for 30 mins.
- Meanwhile chop onions, ginger and garlic.
- After 30 mins, add the red chilies to a blender jar. Make a fine paste. If needed you can add 1 to 2 tbsp water. Set this aside.
How to make schezwan sauce
- Heat oil in a pan.
Saute garlic, ginger and sichuan pepper for 2 mins. If using celery, add it now.
- Add onions and fry until they turn transparent. Do not brown the ginger garlic as they may lend a bitter taste.
Stir in the chili paste and saute in the oil just for 2 mins.
- Pour half cup water and mix well.
- Add sugar, salt and pepper powder.
- Mix well. Cover and cook on a medium heat till the sauce turns thick.
- Open the lid and cook further stirring often until oil begins to separate.
- You can see the mixture begins to leave the sides of the pan.
- Add soya sauce and vinegar.
- Mix well and cook just for 1 to 2 mins. Taste it and add more salt or vinegar if needed.
- Schezwan sauce must taste hot with hints of sour and sweetness.
- Cool this completely and store it in a glass jar. Refrigerate for better shelf life.
Using Schezwan sauce
- The prepared sauce can be enjoyed as a side dip with snacks. It can be used to make noodles, fried rice or schezwan snacks.
- To make fried rice or noodles, heat 1 tbsp oil in a wok. Fry onions and bell peppers on a high flame. Then add the rice or noodles and sauce as desired. Mix and fry on a high flame for 2 mins.
Video of Schezwan sauce recipe
Recipe notes for schezwan sauce
Use less spicy variety chilies. I have used byadgi chilies but kashmiri chilies can also be used.
Sichuan peppers lends a unique citrus flavor to the sauce. There is no substitute to this. If you do not have, just skip it.
Preparation for schezwan sauce recipe
1. Add red chilies to a bowl. I deseed the chilies and use as it reduces the heat. I have used 1 cup red chilies (tightly packed), about 25 to 28.
2. Pour hot water and soak them for 30 mins.
3. They turn soft after soaking.
4. Add them to a blender jar. If needed add 2 tbsps water.
5. Make a fine paste.
How to make schezwan sauce
6. Heat oil in a pan. I have used 4 tbsps i.e 1/4 cup oil. Do not reduce it otherwise the sauce doesn’t taste good.
7. Add ginger, garlic and crushed sichuan peppers. If you do not have sichuan peppers, you can skip. But they add a unique citrus aroma to the schezwan sauce. Saute for 2 mins.
8. If using celery, add it now. Add finely chopped onions as well and then saute till they turn transparent. Do not brown the ginger garlic.
9. Add the chili paste.
10. Saute for 2 to 3 mins.
11. Pour half cup water.
12. Add sugar, salt and pepper as well.
Cooking schezwan sauce
13. Mix well. Cook covered on a medium flame again till the sauce turns thick.
14. Cook further till oil separates. You can see traces of oil around the sides.
15. Next stir in the soya sauce. I have used organic soya sauce. You may need to adjust the quantity if using any other kind.
16. Add vinegar. I used apple cider vinegar. You can also use rice vinegar.
17. Finally mix well and cook just for 2 mins.
Cool the schezwan sauce completely. Store it in a glass jar. Keep refrigerated for better shelf life. Keeps good for about 2 months.