Egg toast or egg bread toast recipe made with eggs, bread, onions, chilies and herbs. Egg toast is one of the most popular street foods from India. It is very much eaten in all regions as a breakfast or fast food. There are so many ways it is made with cheese, with lots of spice powders etc. I have shared a basic version here. You can easily tweak it to suit your taste.
Egg toast is eaten across the world and is prepared in numerous ways. Egg in a hole, french toast etc are some world popular recipes. This Indian egg toast is unique and many in India call it a savory french toast.
This is a super quick recipe and can be made just in 10 mins. It is best served hot and eaten plain with out any accompaniment.
In India people love masala chai with this egg toast. However you can also eat it with some ketchup or your favorite sauce or dip.
Egg toast recipe
Ingredients (1 cup = 240ml )
Ingredients for egg toast
- 2 slices bread (prefer brown bread)
- 1 egg
- salt to taste
- 1 small onion or 2 to 3 shallots – chopped finely
- 1 green chilies chopped or pepper as needed
- 1 small tomato firm & ripe – chopped
- pinch turmeric (optional)
- 1 tbsp coriander leaves or any fresh herbs (chopped)
- 2 tsps oil or butter
- red chili powder (optional for sprinkling)
- 1 slice cheese (optional) (mozzarella or any other)
How to make the recipe
Preparation for egg toast
- Add chopped onions, chilies, tomatoes, coriander leaves, turmeric and salt to a bowl.
- Break the egg and beat everything well.
How to make egg toast
- Heat a pan with oil and spread it well.
- Dip one side of the bread in the egg and place over the hot pan and cook until done.
- Set the bread aside and pour the rest of the egg mixture to the pan.
- Cook it until slightly set and then place the cheese (optional), then the bread (untoasted side) over it and press.
- Cook until the egg is completely done on both the sides.
- Serve egg bread toast hot.
NUTRITION (estimation only)
If you are a beginner or new to Indian cooking, I highly suggest you to check the supporting step by step photos for best results. Step by step photos with description available below after the recipe card.
1. Chop 2 to 3 shallots or a small onion, 1 to 2 green chilies (replace with pepper for kids), coriander leaves and deseeded tomatoes. Add them to a bowl along with salt, turmeric and cumin (optional). Tomatoes lend a slight tang and get a melt in the mouth texture when cooked with the egg. If you do not like you can skip or replace with finely chopped bell peppers.
2. Break the egg to the bowl.
3. Beat well with a fork or a egg beater.
How to make egg toast
4. Heat a pan with oil and spread it well.
5. When the pan is just hot enough, dip one side of the bread slice in egg. Do not over heat the pan. Dipping the entire bread at one time will leave the egg raw inside. So just do one side first.
6. Place it on the pan. You can fry 2 to 3 slices at one time. 2 slices for a medium egg and 3 slices for a large egg. Make sure the flame is adjusted to medium.
7. When the egg is cooked, set them aside and pour the egg mixture to the pan. Allow it to cook a bit and cut in the center with the wooden spoon.
After the previous step, you can also pour the egg over the bread and then flip them. I do not prefer that way since it will mess up the pan while flipping and the egg remains under cooked on the sides. If you like that way, you can try. Make sure the egg is thoroughly cooked.
8. When it is almost cooked but still moist, place the cheese(optional) & bread slices over it. Press with the wooden spatula.
9. Flip it to the other side and make sure the egg is fully cooked on both sides. I also like to sprinkle some red chili powder for extra spice.
Serve egg toast hot.