Cheese dosa recipe – A quick brunch, snack or breakfast recipe of crispy cheese dosa, Indian lentil crepes topped with cheese. Dosa is a staple breakfast at home and is made & served in many ways. After the soft fluffy idlies, crispy dosa with a good chutney is one of our most desired breakfasts on most week days.
Cheese dosa is one of the common South Indian foods found on restaurant menus in Singapore. I made this sometime ago for our dinner and it turned out to be yummy. There are a few different ways of making cheese dosa, I am sharing the one which I personally liked.
You can also make it for a weekend breakfast as it is slightly on the heavier side. It can be served even without chutney and goes great with a cup of black tea or black coffee.
How to make cheese dosa
1. We will need dosa batter that can make crisp dosas. I make cheese dosa using the 1st recipe from this dosa recipe post. You can also use this restaurant style masala dosa batter. If you love soft spongy dosas, then you can also use the batter of set dosa recipe.
2. Make sure the batter is slightly thick but of good spreading consistency to yield crisp cheese dosa.
3. Grease or season your pan very well. I season my pan with oil after every wash and wipe off with tissue to get rid of excess oil. Heat the pan until hot enough. Put on the flame to medium and pour one ladle full of batter.
4. Quickly spread it evenly to a round dosa.
5. Allow the batter to slightly dry up on top. Sprinkle onions. You can also add thin sliced bell peppers and carrots. Add 1 tbsp of sauce or chutney. You can use whatever chutney or thick gravy you have at home.
6. Spread everything well. Add 1 tsp oil towards the edges.
7. Cover and cook for 2 minutes.
8. Cook further on a slightly higher flame until the edges begin to come up from the pan.
9. Lift it slightly and check if the dosa has crisped well. Then add grated cheese as per your liking. Also add green chilies or chili flakes and coriander leaves.
10. When the cheese begins to melt. Switch off. Fold as per your liking.
Serve cheese dosa hot.
Ingredients (1 cup = 240ml )
- 1 cup dosa batter thick
- 1 onion medium , chopped or grated carrots & capsicum
- 3 tbsp red chutney or tomato sauce or chilli sauce or any chutney
- 2 green chilies deseeded chopped (optional)
- 3 tsps oil
- 6 tbsps cheese grated (use as needed more or less)
- coriander or parley leaves or dried herbs like oregano, few
- Chop the onions, green chilies, coriander leaves and set aside.
- Grate the cheese as desired.
- Bring the dosa batter to right consistency. It has to be slightly thick but of spreading consistency.
- Grase you tawa with few drops of oil.
Making cheese dosa
- Heat the pan on a medium high flame.
- When the pan is hot, pour a ladle full of batter and spread it evenly to a dosa in a circular pattern.
- Add the onions and chutney or sauce. Smear it well all over the dosa. Press them down to the dosa with a wooden spoon.
- Add oil around the edges.
- Cover and cook on a medium heat for 1 to 2 minutes.
- Sprinkle chilies and coriander leaves.
- Increase the flame to slightly high and cook until the dosa turns crisp. The sides usually leave the pan at this stage.
- Add the grated cheese. Allow to melt. Fold to a triangle.
- Invert it and sprinkle cheese and coriander leaves over the hot cheese dosa.
- Serve cheese dosa hot with a cup of black tea or coffee. You can also serve with chutney.
Alternative quantities provided in the recipe card are for 1x only, original recipe.
For best results follow my detailed step-by-step photo instructions and tips above the recipe card.
NUTRITION INFO (estimation only)
© Swasthi’s Recipes