Egg Keema Recipe
Egg Keema is a delicious Indian side dish of chopped hard boiled eggs, spices, onions, tomatoes and herbs. It goes fantastic with any Indian flatbreads like paratha, parotta, naan, roti or even with rice. We also serve this egg keema as a filling in our bread to make sandwiches and rotis to make rolls & wraps. This egg keema is also good over crispy dosas.
Keema also known as qeema is a South Asian dish of minced meat, cooked with spices and onions. Mutton keema a is very popular dish in India & is made in most meat eating homes and Restaurants serving meat. Vegetarian versions like soya keema and vegetable keema are also made.
This egg keema may have been inspired from the mutton keema and is a dish served in Dhabas and road side eateries. It is served with butter toasted pav or with parotta or naan.
Egg keema can be a hit or a miss and depends on your liking. The dhaba style egg keema is made with completely shredded/grated hard boiled eggs and in fact the egg yolks are partially mashed.
But grating and mashing the yolk imparts a strong flavor and may not go well with everyone. My family don’t like it that way and the flavors are too strong for our liking. So I prefer to chop the hard boiled eggs instead of grating them.
This egg keema is made exactly the way it is made in dhabas, minus the loads of oil and grated eggs. If you want to make a copycat of the dhaba egg keema simply grate the eggs and use more oil.
More Egg recipes,
Punjabi egg curry
Kadai egg masala
How to Make Egg Keema (Stepwise Photos)
Make Onion Tomato Masala
1. Boil 4 eggs in a pot. Remove the shell and cut them to small cubes without messing up the yolk much. Set aside. Heat oil and add cardamom, cinnamon, cloves, bay leaf and cumin. Saute until they begin to crackle.
2. Fry finely chopped onions until slightly golden. *note: finely chopped onions blend well with the keema.
3. Fry ginger garlic paste until the raw smell goes off.
4. Add chopped tomatoes and saute until they turn completely mushy.
5. Add turmeric, chili powder and garam masala or meat masala. I suggest adding coriander powder too if the masala has a very sharp taste. Saute until the raw smell of the red chili powder and tomatoes goes off. I used this homemade garam masala.
6. This step is optional. Green peas or soaked cashews can be used. Saute until the raw smell goes away.
7. Add very little water, salt, handful of pudina and coriander leaves. You can add kasuri methi instead of pudina. Cook until the water almost evaporates and a thick curry base is left. Check the salt if needed add more.
Make Egg Keema
8. Do not add eggs to the runny gravy or the yolks begin to dissolve. Add chopped eggs to thick curry.
9. Stir gently for the masala to coat the egg well. Take care not to stir vigorously else the yolk will begin to turn mushy.
Garnish with mint or coriander. Serve egg keema with chapathi , naan or plain paratha.
For best results follow the step-by-step photos above the recipe card
Ingredients (US cup = 240ml )
- 4 boiled eggs
- 2 tbsp oil
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 green cardamoms
- 2 cloves
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 bay leaf
- ½ tsp cumin
- ¾ cup onions finely chopped
- 1 green chili slit
- ½ cup tomatoes chopped
- salt as needed
- 1 tsp ginger garlic paste
- ½ tsp red chili powder (adjust)
- ¾ to 1 tsp meat masala or garam masala
- ½ tsp garam masala
- ½ tsp coriander powder
- ½ cup green peas or ¼ cup cashews (optional)
- 1 handful mint / pudina coriander leaves
- Hard boil eggs and set aside. When cooled chop them gently to small cubes. Set aside.
How to Make Egg Keema
- Add cinnamon, cloves, cumin, bay leaf to hot oil.
- When they begin to sizzle, add onions and fry until they turn golden. Saute ginger garlic paste till the raw smell vanishes. Fry tomatoes together with onions until mushy.
- Add chili powder and meat masala.
- Saute until the raw smell goes off. Fry cashews or peas for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add very little water, salt, pudina and coriander leaves.
- Cook until the mixture thickens.
- Add chopped eggs and mix gently until egg is coated well with masala.
Alternative quantities provided in the recipe card are for 1x only, original recipe.
For best results follow my detailed step-by-step photo instructions and tips above the recipe card.
NUTRITION INFO (estimation only)
© Swasthi’s Recipes
I’m Swasthi Shreekanth, the recipe developer, food photographer & food writer behind Swasthi’s Recipes. My aim is to help you cook great Indian food with my time-tested recipes. After 2 decades of experience in practical Indian cooking I started this blog to help people cook better & more often at home. Whether you are a novice or an experienced cook I am sure Swasthi’s Recipes will assist you to enhance your cooking skills.
Follow Swasthi’s Recipes
Very Easy and nice recipes. It turns out so good always. My family loves it. Thanks.
Glad to know!
Very yammy recipies
Hi we would like if you put in you tube. Another thing your recipe we cannot copy and paste so that while cooking we can watch and cook.
Yes I am adding the videos for most recipes where ever possible. Thanks again
Hi i tried this egg kheema recipe and it turned out good. in ingredients u mention green chillies but in method u didn’t mention when to add so n e way I used my own way and added when we saute the onions and tomatoes. thanks for the recipe
Thanks for trying. Yes I will update it. Glad you liked it.
Hello from London. Well….this is now the 4th receipe of yours I have tried and yet Again it’s a HIT!! Best thing is my little girls loved it. Thanks once again.
Thanks for trying the recipes. Happy to know they turned out good.
Kinda new recipie. I made egg keema for Dinner everyone complemented.Thanks 🙂
Glad to know you all liked it. thanks
The recipe of egg keema, was really wonderful. Everyone in the house loved it. THANKS. ☺?
Glad to know you all liked it
You are the best
TODAY I MADE IT FOR DINNER AND IT WAS SOOOOOO TASTY. EVEN IT WAS LOOKING ALSO YUMMY…. NEVER IMAGINED THAT EGG CAN BE MADE THIS WAY.
THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR SHARING SUCH NICE RECIPES WITH US.
Thanks a lot for trying
Very tasty recipe
Just now i tried these ,,, really good
Mam I’m a huge fan of your receipies, seriously you’re amazing ..
Your recipes are awesome! Thank you so much ?
Egg kheema receipe its very tasty.