Egg bhurji recipe or anda bhurji recipe with video and step by step photos. Checkout video at the end of this post to make an andhra style egg porutu. Eggs are a good stand by while trying to get a meal ready in minutes. They are so versatile and can be used to make egg roast, egg curry, egg masala, biryani, sandwich. One of the easiest recipe is a egg bhurji or anda bhurji, i.e scrambled eggs.
For more similar recipes check out this collection of egg recipes on the blog.
There are so many ways an egg bhurji can be made anywhere from as simple as just scrambling an egg in fried onions. Adding chili powder and not even using ginger garlic paste. Since it is one of the foods that is regularly or often made at home, i got a chance to try many variations of making anda bhurji. I had a readers request for a recipe that can yield bhurji to accompany pav and this one pairs well with pav, bread, plain rice or even roti/ chapathi.
To make egg bhurji recipe, garam masala or pav bhaji masala is used to remove the raw smell of eggs. If you don’t like to use garam masala often or you like the flavor of eggs, you can skip ginger garlic paste and garam masala. I always had a dislike to use tomato for a bhurji, but finally got it right this way and have been making this for a while.
Egg bhurji or anda bhurji recipe below
Egg bhurji recipe | How to make egg bhurji recipe | Anda bhurji recipe
Ingredients (240 ml cup used)
- 3 eggs
- 1 onion , large , finely chopped
- 1 green chili slit or chopped
- ¾ to 1 tsp garam masala or pav bhaji masala
- ½ tsp ginger garlic paste
- ½ to ¾ tsp red chili powder
- 2 pinches turmeric (or haldi)
- 2 tbsp oil
- ½ tsp cumin (or jeera)
- coriander leaves or curry leaves
- ¼ cup bell pepper or capsicum (optional)
- 1 tomato ,small , (optional)
How to make the recipe
- Rinse a bowl and break the eggs to the bowl. This way egg doesn't stick to the bowl. Check for shells. If you like you can beat the eggs until frothy after adding salt and turmeric. Set aside.
- Chop onions finely.
Making egg bhurji
- Heat oil in a pan. Add jeera. When they begin to splutters add onions, chilies and fry until golden.
- Add ginger garlic paste and fry till you get a nice aroma.
- If using tomatoes, add them to the pan. Fry until they turn soft and oil begins to separate. If using capsicums, add them now and fry till they are partially soft for 2 to 3 minutes.
You can also add garam masala and chilli powder at this stage. Fry until the masala smells good. I prefer to add later after cooking the eggs.
- Pour the eggs and scramble lightly. Keep cooking and scramble once more. Stir egg bhurji constantly to prevent burning.
- Add masala powder, red chili powder, curry leaves or coriander leaves. Stir well. Check the salt and spice and adjust as needed.
- Cook until just cooked. Switch off the stove.
- Garnish anda bhurji with coriander or mint leaves.
- Serve egg bhurji with rice or bread/ pav or chapathi
Video of simple egg bhurji recipe
1. If you prefer to use chopped tomatoes, Fry tomatoes till they turn mushy and then oil begins to separate, otherwise it will leave the egg bhurji with a raw smell of eggs.
2.You can skip garam masala or use only coriander and cumin powder or pav bhaji masala too.
How to make egg bhurji recipe or anda bhurji recipe
1. Break eggs to a bowl, add turmeric and salt. Beat the eggs till frothy. set this aside. This step is optional and you can add eggs without beating to the pan as well. But the fluffy texture would be missing. Some folks also add in few tbsps of milk to yield a fluffy scrambled egg.
2. Heat oil in a pan. Add cumin and allow them to splutter. Add onions and chilis.
3. Fry until the onions turn golden. Add ginger garlic paste or crushed ginger and fry until the raw smell goes off.
4. This step is optional, If you don’t like to use tomatoes, just leave it or use capsicum. Add finely chopped tomatoes and fry.
5. The tomatoes should dry up well and blend well with onions. You can also add red chilli powder and garam masla at this stage. Fry till the masala begins to smell good. But I have added the spice powders later.
6. Pour the eggs. You can add eggs without beating as well.
7. Scramble the eggs to suit your liking. Scrambled eggs are not a very healthy way to consume eggs. The lesser we scramble the better for health. Add garam masala , chili powder or pav bhaji masala. Stir and fry.
Garnish with coriander leaves. Serve anda bhurji with pav, bread or rice.
Method 2 of making egg bhurji or egg porutu without tomato
After frying onions and capsicum, break the eggs in a bowl and check for shells. Pour the egg in the pan and lightly scramble it.Repeat scrambling every now and then, to prevent burning and to cook egg evenly. You can scramble it as much as you like to make it look like a paneer bhurji.
Add curry leaves or coriander leaves.Sprinkle red chili powder, garam masala or pav bhaji masala and turmeric. mix well. fry egg bhurji until cooked.