Egg bhurji recipe – Indian style spiced scrambled eggs popularly known as Anda bhurji. In Hindi anda means egg and bhurji translates to scrambled. This Indian style scrambled eggs are very popular in all regions of India.
In the South it is eaten with rice, poori or chapati and in the North it is eaten with plain paratha, roti or phulka. In the western parts of India especially in Mumbai, egg bhurji is eaten with pav. This combo is a popular street food and is known as Bhurji Pav.
There are different styles of making egg bhurji using different ingredients. This post will help you to make a good anda bhurji which you can serve with whatever you like – rice, roti, paratha, poori or even as a stuffing in sandwiches & kathi rolls
Egg bhurji is made very much the same way as paneer bhurji. I make this with few different variations which I have shared below.
To begin with egg bhurji is made by first crackling some spices in oil and then frying the onions and ginger garlic.
Then optionally tomatoes & bell peppers are sauteed to which the beaten eggs are added & cooked.
Spice powder: Most people use garam masala powder to spice up the dish. The street side bhurji is made with pav bhaji masala which adds a different flavor. So you can choose between garam masala or pav bhaji masala.
Chilli : I use both green chilli & red chilli. You can also skip the red chilli powder if using pav bhaji masala.
Herbs: In South India, most people prefer to use curry leaves in the tempering. Curry leaves add an unique aroma. You can use them if you have. Handful of coriander leaves are good enough to flavor up the bhurji
Fluffy eggs: Some people use little milk to beat the eggs as it makes the egg bhurji fluffy and light. I have not used it here.
Tomatoes: I usually don’t use tomatoes in our bhurji, just to save some time. I sprinkle lemon juice towards the end.
Egg bhurji or anda bhurji recipe
Egg bhurji recipe | How to make egg bhurji | anda bhurji
Ingredients (1 cup = 240ml )
- 2 to 3 eggs
- 2 tablespoons oil
- ½ teaspoon cumin (or jeera)
- 1 large onion finely chopped
- 1 green chili slit or chopped
- ¾ to 1 teaspoon ginger garlic paste or minced finely
- ¾ to 1 teaspoon garam masala or pav bhaji masala
- ½ to ¾ teaspoon red chili powder (adjust to taste)
- 1/8 teaspoon turmeric (or haldi)
- 2 tablespoons coriander leaves or 1 sprig curry leaves or 8 pudina (mint leaves)
- 1 small tomato (optional)
- ¼ cup bell pepper or capsicum (optional)
How to make the recipe
- Rinse a bowl and break the eggs to the bowl. This way egg doesn't stick to the bowl.
- Check for shells. Add salt and turmeric.
- Beat the eggs until frothy & Set aside.
- Chop onions & tomatoes finely. Slit green chilli & cube capsicum (optional)
Making egg bhurji
- Heat oil in a pan. Add jeera & curry leaves (optional).
- When they begin to splutters add onions, chilies and fry until golden.
- Add ginger garlic paste and fry till you get a nice aroma.
- If using tomatoes, add them to the pan.
- Fry until they turn soft and oil begins to separate.
- If using capsicums, add them now and fry till they are partially soft for 2 to 3 minutes.
- You can also add garam masala and chilli powder at this stage.
- Fry until the masala smells good. I prefer to add the spice powders later after cooking the eggs.
- Pour the eggs and scramble lightly. Keep cooking and scramble once more.
- Stir egg bhurji constantly to prevent burning.
- When the eggs are almost cooked, add masala powder & red chili powder. Stir well & fry just for a minute or 2.
- Check the salt and spice and adjust as needed.
- Cook until just cooked. Switch off the stove.
- Garnish anda bhurji with coriander. You can also pour little lemon juice.
- Serve egg bhurji with rice or bread/ pav or chapathi.
Video of simple egg bhurji recipe
- If you prefer to use chopped tomatoes, Fry tomatoes till they turn mushy and then oil begins to separate, otherwise it will leave the egg bhurji with a raw smell of eggs.
- You can skip garam masala or use only coriander and cumin powder or pav bhaji masala too.
1. Break eggs to a bowl, add turmeric and salt.
2.Beat the eggs till frothy. set this aside. This step is optional and you can add eggs without beating to the pan as well. But the fluffy texture would be missing. Some folks also add in few tbsps of milk to yield a fluffy scrambled egg.
3. Heat oil in a pan. Add cumin and allow them to splutter. If using curry leaves, add them here and fry until crisp.
4.Add onions and chilies.
5. Fry until the onions turn golden. Add ginger garlic paste or crushed ginger and fry until the raw smell goes off.
6. This step is optional, If you don’t like to use tomatoes, just skip them or use capsicum. Add finely chopped tomatoes and fry.
7. The tomatoes should dry up well and blend well with onions. You can also add red chilli powder and garam masla at this stage. Fry till the masala begins to smell good. But I have added the spice powders later.
How to make egg bhurji (anda bhurji)
8. Pour the beaten eggs. You can also straight away add the eggs without beating.
9. Scramble the eggs to suit your liking. Add garam masala , chili powder or pav bhaji masala. Stir and fry.
10. Adjust salt, add coriander leaves. Cook until just done. Do not overcook they loose the nutrients and softness.
Garnish with coriander leaves. Serve anda bhurji with pav, bread or rice.