Eggless christmas fruit cake recipe | How to make fruit cake
Eggless Christmas fruit cake recipe – Moist, soft, light and delicious eggless fruit cake made without alcohol. This simple recipe is one of the most quick & easiest that anyone can make with great success. Most fruit cake recipes call for soaking the dried fruits in alcohol for several days to weeks. But the recipe shared here is an instant one which doesn’t require you to soak them in advance.
To make this eggless fruit cake, you can use any of your favorite dried fruits likes raisins, dried dates, figs, apricots, berries and glace cherries. You can also skip glace cherries if you want to avoid artificial colors.
Just replace them with some dried cranberries as they add similar color to the fruit cake. You can use cashew nuts, almonds and walnuts in any proportions to make them 100 grams.
Towards the end of this post, I have shared few pics of the same recipe made using wheat flour and oil which I had made few years ago.
If you are a newbie, please read the step by step photo instructions. They are much more clearly explained along with pictures taken at every step.
1. Using a good spice mix to make the fruit cake is very important as it enhances the flavor. I have used homemade spice powder using cinnamon, nutmeg and cloves.
You can also use dry ginger powder if you prefer the aroma. If you want to make it just add the 3 ingredients to a spice jar and powder it finely. I have also added 1 tbsp of sugar to help the spices blend easily. Set this aside.
2. Grease a 8 or 9 inch cake tray and dust it with flour. Instead of flour, you can also use a parchment paper or grease proof paper to line the cake pan. You can also use a loaf pan. If using aluminum pan it is good to line the pan.
3. These are the dry fruits and nuts I have used. I usually skip the glace cherries from this recipe and use mixed berries. If you prefer to avoid the artificial colors then just replace the glace cherries with dried cherries or berries.
You can also add more citrus peels if you prefer. But 20 grams was good enough for our taste buds. Preparing the fruits and nuts does take some time so it is good to prepare in advance.
4. Add chopped raisins, citrus peels, cranberries and apricots to a large mixing bowl.
5. Bring water to a boil and pour them over the dry fruits. Actually this is a boiled cake recipe where all the dried fruits are briefly boiled in water to soften the fruits.
In the recent years I started to feel boiling them does affect the flavor of the fruits & cake so I prefer to just pour hot water to them.
6. Leave them to soak until the mixture turns cool or warm.
7. The fruits get soaked in the hot water and turn soft.
How to make eggless christmas fruit cake
8. Add brown sugar to the mixture. The recipe works well with 150 to 200 grams of brown sugar depending on the kind of dried fruits used. If using dates 150 grams would be sufficient.
I have used 1 cup packed i.e 200 grams. So use to suit your taste.
9. Add salt.
10. Pour orange or apple juice. I used freshly squeezed unsweetened orange juice without pulp.
11. Add 1 tbsp lemon juice or vinegar. I have used organic apple cider vinegar. Avoid cheap vinegar as it can make the cake bitter.
12. Add vanilla extract. You can also skip this since the flavors from the spice mix is good enough.
13. Pour melted butter or oil.
14. Mix them all to dissolve the sugar. Set this aside.
15. Preheat the oven to 170 C for at least 15 mins.
16. Fluff up the flour in the jar and spoon it to the measuring cups. Level the cups with a spatula. Add it to a sieve placed over a mixing bowl. Then add soda.
17. Add the spice powder. Sieve them all together.
18. If using wheat flour, then repeat the process thrice. This makes the cake light and less denser.
19. The batter needs to go into the oven right after mixing the wet and dry ingredients. So make sure the oven is hot enough before you begin to mix the both. Stir the fruit mix well. Pour it to the flour.
20. Mix the batter gently just until combined. Do not over mix. Add in the chopped cashews, almonds and cherries.
21. Gently mix in.
22. Pour it to the cake pan. Knock it gently to the kitchen top only twice. Do not over do as the nuts will settle at the bottom.
Baking eggless fruit cake
23. Bake the cake for 35 to 40 mins if you have used a 8 inch pan. If using a 8½ by 4½ loaf pan, you will have to bake for 50 to 55 mins. Please do adjust the timing based on the size of your pan. When the cake is done, a tester inserted comes out clean.
24. Cool the cake for 15 mins. Invert the cake on a wire cake.
25. Cool the cake completely.
Slice Eggless Christmas fruit cake once cooled completely.
For more Cake Recipes, you can check
Eggless Vanilla cake
Eggless chocolate cake
Black forest cake
Eggless tutti frutti cake
Eggless sponge cake
Vanilla butter cake
Eggless carrot cake
Eggless Fruit cake made with wheat flour
Flour: This cake can be made using all purpose flour/ maida or whole wheat/ atta. Using wheat flour would make the cake slightly dense but still tastes very good. However if using wheat flour, sieve it well with the other dry ingredients at least thrice. This makes the cake lighter.
Fats: I have used melted butter this time but it also works well with oil. I had used several times extra virgin coconut oil and just loved it. There was no flavor of oil in the cake.
Towards the end of this post, I have shared few pics of the same recipe made using wheat flour and oil which I had made few years ago.
If you are a newbie, please read the step by step photo instructions after the recipe card. They are much more clearly explained along with pictures taken at every step.
Eggless christmas fruit cake
For best results follow the step-by-step photos above the recipe card
Ingredients (US cup = 240ml )
Dry fruits (150 grams, use any of your choice)
- 40 grams raisins (4 tbsp chopped)
- 30 grams apricots (3 tbsp chopped)
- 60 grams glace cherries (6 tbsps chopped)
- 20 grams cranberries (2 tbsps chopped)
Other ingredients for fruit cake
- 20 grams citrus peels (2 tbsps chopped candied peels, more if desired)
- ¾ cup hot water or 180 ml (3/4 cup + 1.5 tbsp or 200 ml if using atta)
- ¼ tsp Salt
- 1 tbsp vinegar or lemon juice
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
- ¾ to 1 cup brown sugar (about 170 to 200 grams) or sugar
- 1/3 cup oil or melted butter (about 80 ml)
- 120 ml orange juice or apple juice
- 100 grams nuts chopped (cashew nuts, walnuts, almonds)
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 ¾ cups wheat flour (atta or maida/ all-purpose flour, 210 grams)
Spices (or use spice extract or just skip)
- 1.5 grams ceylon cinnamon or true cinnamon about 1/2 tsp ground
- 8 cloves
- nutmeg small piece or 1/3 tsp grated
- Chop all dry fruits and nuts to small bits. Keep the nuts separately.
- Add raisins, apricots, cranberries and citrus peels to a large mixing bowl.
- Bring 3/4 cup water to a boil. If using whole wheat flour use 1.5 tbsps more. Pour the hot water over the dry fruits. Leave them aside to cool.
- Add cinnamon, cloves and nutmeg to a mini spice jar. Make a fine powder. You can also add a tbsp of sugar to the spices to help them powder finely. Set this aside to cool.
- When the mixture cools down, preheat the oven to 170 C for at least 15 mins.
Making eggless fruit cake
- Add the brown sugar, melted butter, orange juice, vanilla and vinegar to the fruit mixture. Stir everything well.
- In another mixing bowl, sieve together flour, salt, spice powder and soda. You can discard any coarse bits of spices.
- Mix up the flour well once more and make a well in the center.
- When the oven is hot enough and past 12 to 15 mins, then give the fruit mixture a good stir. Pour it to the flour all at once. Make sure the fruit mixture has cooled down before adding it to flour.
- Mix gently with a spatula until you see no streaks of flour.
- Add in cherries and chopped nuts. Gently give it a good stir. Do not over mix.
- Pour this to a cake pan. Knock the pan twice to the kitchen counter. Don’t over do this as the nuts will settle at the bottom.
- Keep it in the oven and bake at 170 C for 35 to 40 mins. If using a 8 inch pan it takes about 40 mins. If using a 9 inch pan it will be done around 32 to 34 mins. If baking in a loaf pan it takes about 50 to 55 mins.
- When the cake is done, a skewer inserted comes out clean.
- Cool the cake in the pan for 10 to 15 mins.
- Invert it on a wire rack carefully. Cool it completely before slicing.
- You can dust some powdered sugar over the eggless fruit cake.
Alternative quantities provided in the recipe card are for 1x only, original recipe.
For best results follow my detailed step-by-step photo instructions and tips above the recipe card.
NUTRITION INFO (estimation only)
© Swasthi’s Recipes
I’m Swasthi Shreekanth, the recipe developer, food photographer & food writer behind Swasthi’s Recipes. My aim is to help you cook great Indian food with my time-tested recipes. After 2 decades of experience in practical Indian cooking I started this blog to help people cook better & more often at home. Whether you are a novice or an experienced cook I am sure Swasthi’s Recipes will assist you to enhance your cooking skills. More about me
Follow Swasthi’s Recipes
Loved it. I doubled the recipe and used 270gms chopped sultanas and 100gms chopped almonds. I used orange zest of 4 oranges, juice of 5 oranges n apple cider vinegar as well as extra virgin coconut oil. Spices were cinnamon cloves and ginger powder. Thank you Swasthi. This is a third time I am following your cake recipes for really special occasions!!
Thank you Rupa! Very happy to know the recipes worked well for you.
I made this for the first time and it came out very good, perfect proportions, thank you so much. I used the readymade fruit mix from the store and it worked.
Glad to know Sudha
Can you please allow ne print this eggless cake?
Sudha, there is a print button in the recipe card. You can print using that.
I want to make your fruit cake, but I can’t do oils. What substitute would work best? Thanks
You can use melted butter as mentioned in the recipe
really happy to follow your recipes i have tried many & have got good results thanks a lot for such a nice & detaileds collection.
i just wanted to ask how many days does this cake can be kept fresh ? if we make it ahead of the event .
Hi can I use this recipe and make cupcakes instead
Yes you can
I’ve tried this recipe and turned out well. Planning to again for a housewarming function. Thanks for the recipe
Followed the recipe to the T…. Skewer came out clean too. But when I tried getting the cake out, it was raw at the bottom… 🙁 … Don’t know what I did wrong… Everything went to the trash bin…
You don’t need to thrash it. Just baking it a little longer would have worked.
Thank you so much for sharing easy recipe. I love all your recipes as it has all small tips which needs to be taken care off.
I like to bake cakes for birthdays for my family members. But christmas cake for the first time. And it turned out really awesome. Everybody just loved it. I did little bit changes. I didnt added hot water instead i soaked dates, figs,blue berries , plum berries, black berries, raisins and appricots in 160ml fresh orange juice for overnight. Then i baked it. And it really taste more flavour full after 2days. And it tasted really superb even better then shop.
So glad the recipe worked well. Thank you so much for sharing how you made it.
Sharing this recipes with my loved ones. Just wanted to add that cooking time at 170degree in 8inch tin takes around 60mins.
Hello Swasthi, the mixed spice to be used for Fruit cake please can you tell me the proportion.
It is mentioned in the recipe card.
But where is the recipe card please???
Please send me the recipe for eggless Christmas cake.
Hey I tried the cake with wheat flour and turned out to be a real winner with the family
family! They love it! Thank you for sharing it
Glad to know! Thanks for leaving a comment.
What is citrus peel? I can’t understand. Pls tell me ma’am
Citrus peels are dried skin of citrus fruits like oranges, lemons etc
Thank you so much ma’am
Amazing recipe. Thank you for posting. I have a question, as it’s mentioned above 8” round cake .. but what will be the weight of the final cake. Looking forward for reply . Thank you
I haven’t weighed it anytime.
You can add the weight of all the ingredients. The final.weight would be 5-10 percent less than the weight of the ingredients
I prepared this cake, best recipe, it turned out awesome, thank you for this recipe and best part is you provided both atta and maida option, I tried cake with atta for first time and cake turned out awesome.
Only thing I did different is adding Vinegar just before putting in oven as I know that vinegar reacts and it is good to add to the mixture at the end.
Welcome! Glad to know it turned out good. Thanks for leaving a comment.
No need to add baking powder? Baking soda will do?
Absolutely fantastic! The taste was just amazing!
Hi Swasthi, thanks for your recipe of eggless Christmas cake . I just baked it and it came out so well . I did make few changes like I made cake flour by adding a couple of spoon of besan in AP flour and added fresh orange jest while mixing wet and dry ingredients .you had not mentioned when to add citrus peel.
However it is a great recipe and my cake is well appreciated.All thanks to you.
You are welcome! Glad it turned out good. I have mentioned to add the citrus peels along with dry fruits. I think you missed reading that. Thank you for the comment!
Thank you for sharing the recipes. Your recipes are very clear and detailed. Please tell me the shelf life of this cake .Is this measurement sufficient for 15 people. Please reply.
You are welcome. I always keep this refrigerated and it gets over within 3 to 4 days. So not sure how long it keeps good. I feel in the refrigerator it will keep good for at least 7 to 10 days. It can serve 10 to 12.
Thank you for sharing good recipes.Your recipes are very detailed and clear. I just want to know the shelf life of this cake. Can I keep this cake in refrigerator. Please reply.
Hi i made the cake today, texture is soft but cake is breaking…
If you add very large pieces of nuts and dried fruits the cake can break.
Came out v.well.however I added 3 eggs too & caramelized white sugar as I didn’t have brown sugar. it was good.would like to share pictures but don’t know how to.
Thank you so much for sharing the info on adding eggs. Would love to see the pictures! Please mail them to my email or message them to my Swasthi’s recipes FB page. You can find my id in the about page.Thanks again