Eggless sponge cake recipe – Sponge cakes are mostly made of Eggs, flour and sugar. They have a very light, fluffy and airy structure as a result of beating the egg whites to incorporate air. Making this eggless sponge cake is easy, quick and turns delicious. Though it cannot be compared to a real sponge cake made with eggs, this eggless version has yielded me the best results always.
This recipe yields a soft, fluffy and moist eggless vanilla sponge cake that can be used as a base for decorated or frosted cakes. There is no condensed milk and butter used here, yet it turns out good.
I have made a square 7 inch, 2 layer cake. If you desire to make the way I have made it, then you will have to double the recipe and bake 2 cakes in 2 pans. Or bake 2 cakes separately by following the same recipe. I have made a quick choco chip frosting, you can also dust some powdered sugar and serve.
If you do not have a oven, then you can follow this Pressure cooker cake recipe.
Eggless sponge cake recipe
Eggless sponge cake recipe | How to make eggless vanilla sponge cake
Ingredients (240 ml cup used)
- 1 ½ cups all-purpose flour / maida about 190 grams (organic flour)
- ¾ cup sugar (organic sugar)
- 1 ¼ tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ½ cup oil (I used virgin coconut oil)
- 1 cup curd / yogurt (do not use sour curd)
- 2 to 3 tbsps milk
- ¾ to 1 tbsp vanilla extract
Choco chip frosting (optional)
- 2/3 cup choco chips , semi sweet
- ¼ cup milk
- ¾ tbsp vanilla extract
How to make the recipe
- Grease a 7 or 8 inch cake tray. Line a parchment paper or dust with flour.
- Preheat the oven to 170 C for at least 15 mins.
- To a large mixing bowl, add fresh curd along with sugar and vanilla extract.
- Mix all of these until sugar has dissolved completely. Make sure there are no lumps of curd.
- Pour oil and mix well until combined.
- Add in the baking powder and soda.
- Begin to gently whisk it until the soda reacts with curd. Within mins you will see the mixture turning thick and frothy.
- Place a sieve over the bowl. Add ½ to ¾ cup of flour to the sieve.
- Sieve it well. Mix gently until just combined.
- Place the sieve back on the bowl. Add the rest of the flour in 1 to 2 parts.
- Sieve well.
- Gently mix until there are no streaks of flour seen.
- The batter will be slightly thick. Add 2 to 3 tbsps. of milk and mix in.
- The batter at this stage is of the ribbon consistency.
- Pour this to the cake tray. Brush lightly with milk on top to get a beautiful golden color.
- Gently knock the pan to the counter a few times.
- Bake for 25 to 30 mins. Do adjust the time depending on your oven and the size of your pan. It took exactly 30 mins for me in a 7 inch square pan.
- When the cake is done, a tester inserted comes out clean.
- Cool the cake for 10 to 15 mins.
- Invert it over a wire rack gently. Cool completely before Slicing or frosting.
Making chocolate frosting
- Melt the choco chips together with milk in a microwave for 1 to 2 mins.
- Stir well until the mixture turns smooth and is of spreading consistency.
- Cool the frosting and the cake completely.
- Spread the frosting as desired.
- If needed keep the eggless sponge cake in fridge for 15 to 20 mins. This helps to smoothen the frosting.
- Slice eggless sponge cake and serve.
How to make eggless sponge cake
1. Grease a 7 or 8 inch cake tray and line it with parchment paper.
2. Preheat the oven to 170 C for at least 15 mins.
3. Add curd to a mixing bowl. I use fresh homemade curd made using full fat milk. It is of semi solid consistency, not very thick nor runny and isn’t sour.
4. Add sugar and vanilla extract. I used organic sugar.
5. Mix very well until the sugar dissolves completely.
6. Pour oil and mix until the mixture is smooth and uniform. Make sure there are no lumps of curd.
7. Add baking powder.
8. Add baking soda.
9. Mix well gently. The soda begins to react with the curd. The mixture turns thick and frothy.
10. Place a sieve over the bowl. Add the flour in 2 to 3 parts. First add ½ to ¾ cup of the flour.
11. Mix gently just until combined.
12. Do not over mix.
13. Add the rest of the flour and sieve.
14. Begin to mix gently.
15. The batter will be thick at this stage.
16. Add in 2 to 3 tbsps of milk.
17. Mix gently. The batter is of a ribbon consistency. If the batter is thicker than this the cake may turn out dense.
18. Transfer to a greased and lined cake tray. Brush the top with some milk. This helps the cake top to turn golden and prevents drying up. Knock the tray to the counter few times.
19. Bake it for 25 to 30 mins. Mine was done at 30 mins. The timing may vary depending on your oven and the size of your cake pan. When the cake is done, a skewer or a tester comes out clean.
20. Cool the cake for about 10 to 15 mins. Invert it on a wire rack gently.
21. Remove the parchment papers and cool the cake completely.
22. I went ahead making a quick chocolate frosting using semi sweet choco chips. You can also use any other chocolate. I used about 2/3 cup of semi-sweet choco chips with ¼ cup of milk. I did not use sugar for the frosting. The sweetness from the choco chips was good enough.
23. Microwaved it for 2 mins at 700 W. Stirred well with a spoon until smooth. I also added ¾ tbsp. vanilla extract.
24. Cool the melted chocolate and the cake as well. Spread a generous amount of it with a spatula.
25. I made 2 cakes. So I placed another one on it.
26. Spread more frosting as desired.
27. Smoothen with the spatula. If needed you can keep the cake in fridge for 15 to 20 mins to get a smooth finishing.
Slice the eggless sponge cake and serve.
This soft, fluffy and delicious eggless sponge cake can be used as a base to make any decorative cakes.