Eggless black forest cake recipe – delicious, rich & a perfect eggless cake to bake for occasions & celebrations. Wishing everyone a very happy & prosperous New year. Black forest cake is a classic dessert made with several layers of chocolate sponge cake soaked with kirschwasser (cherry spirit), then sandwiched with whipped cream & cherries.
Lastly it is decorated with some whipped cream frosting, maraschino cherries & chocolate shavings.
Black forest cake is not the same across the world. It is made with slight changes based on the region. In India black forest cake is made without alcohol. The recipe shared here is not only alcohol free but is also eggless.
This recipe is divided into 2 sections for the ease of understanding. The first section is to make the cake and the second section is to make the frosting and decorate the black forest cake.
For the base, we need a soft and spongy cake. You can make one with eggs or without eggs. On occasions I have baked this cake with and without eggs. I have the recipes for both the versions on the blog.
You can also bake this cake in a cooker or heavy bottom pot or pan following this Cooker cake recipe. If you are a beginner I highly suggest you to read the full recipe and tips before you begin so you don’t go wrong.
I also have a video of the full recipe below. Do check out that.
1. Please follow this link to eggless chocolate cake recipe and make the base cake. If you want to make one with eggs, then make it from this chocolate sponge cake. Both these recipes will help you make two 6″ cakes or one 8″ cake. I follow the same and make 1.5 times the recipe and bake 3 6″ cakes.
If you do not have 6 inch pans, then bake one 8 inch cake and slice them to 2 layers. Decide on the number of layers you want to have in your black forest cake.
2. Remove the cakes from the pan as per the recipe instructions in those posts. Cool completely on a wired rack. While the cakes cool, make the sugar syrup or cherry syrup.
3. To make sugar syrup, boil 2 tbsp sugar with 4 to 5 tbsp water until the mixture comes to a rolling boil. or make cherry syrup by adding 3 tbsps water to chopped cherries. Rest for 45 mins. Later strain the syrup and use it here. Pat the cherries gently to remove excess juice.
How to make black forest cake
4. I never slice my cakes and prefer to bake the individual layers in separate pans. But if you have baked it in a single 8 inch pan, then slice it in the center to 2 layers. Also if your cake is uneven on top, then slice it evenly with a cake leveler or knife. Clean up any bits of crumbs on the cake.
5. Pour 1 to 2 tbsps of the prepared syrup evenly on the cakes. Set this aside.
6. Chill the bowl & beater for few hours. Then transfer the cream to the chilled bowl and start whiping on a low then to medium speed until it turns bubbly and slightly thick.
7. Then slowly add powdered sugar.
8. Whip until stiff peaks. Be careful not to over whip.
9. Fit a pipping nozzle inside a piping bag. Transfer half cup whipped cream to it. Avoid handling the bag a lot as it will soften the cream. Immediately refrigerate.
Decorating eggless black forest cake
10. The eggless black forest cake is decorated with some chocolate shavings and cherries. For the chocolate shavings you can use any good quality chocolate. Keep the chocolate bar out of the fridge until it is easy to handle then using a grater or knife just make some shavings. You can make this ahead and refrigerate.
11. Add a tsp of cream to the cake stand and place 4 parchment papers on all the 4 sides. Then place one layer of the cake over it. Spread cream on the cake. Then layer the chopped cherries.
12. Place another cake on top and spread the frosting there too. Do not handle the cream a lot, it begins to deflate.
13. Spread a thin layer on the sides as well and refrigerate for 45 to 60 mins.
14. Repeat frosting cream all over the cake. Then decorate the cake on the borders.
15. Cover the sides of the cake with chocolate shavings. Then place the cherries on top and fill the gaps with chocolate shavings. Immediately refrigerate the black forest cake until needed.
Tips on eggless black forest cake
Fresh cherries are best to use for layering & decorating. Alternately maraschino cherries or tinned cherries can be used if you like the flavor. Just pit the cherries and chop them to bite sizes.
Set aside some whole cherries for decoration. Allow the cherries to come down to room temperature before using it on the cake.
2. Cherry syrup
Originally kirschwasser, a clear spirit made of cherries is used to moisten the cake. Alternately freshly made cherry syrup or sugar syrup can be used. You can also use the cherry syrup from canned cherries.
Do not use the syrup from the maraschino cherries as the flavor is not good due to the additives. This can be prepared 1 day ahead.
For the frosting, whipping cream with at least 36% or above works best. I used cream with 36% fat. The more fats the more stable your whipped cream frosting will be.
I haven’t used any stabilizers but used homemade confectioners sugar. I used 1 tbsp cornstarch for every 1 cup of sugar & blended them together.
Eggless black forest cake
Eggless black forest cake recipe
For best results follow the step-by-step photos above the recipe card
Ingredients (US cup = 240ml )
For the chocolate cake (makes two 6 inch cakes)
- 1½ cups flour (wheat or all-purpose flour)
- ¼ cup cocoa (good quality)
- 1 tsp baking soda (recheck expiry date)
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1 cup fine sugar or sugar powdered
- 1 cup milk or water (at room temperature, refer notes)
- 1/3 cup oil (I used virgin coconut oil)
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
- 1 tbsp vinegar or lemon juice
- ½ to ¾ cup chopped cherries (fresh or maraschino)
- 2 tbsp sugar (skip if making cherry syrup)
- 4 to 5 tbsp water
- 1½ cups whipping cream chilled (36% fat or above)
- 3 tbsp powdered sugar or confectioners sugar (refer notes)
Ingredients for decorating
- 6 to 8 cherries (fresh or maraschino)
- 1 chocolate bar for chocolate shavings
To make chocolate cake
- Grease & line two 6 inch cake pans or one 8 inch pan. Preheat the oven to 170 C for at least 15 mins.
- Sieve together flour, salt, cocoa and baking soda to a mixing bowl. Mix up the sugar and make a well in the center.
- Pour oil, vinegar, vanilla and milk or water. Mix well until just combined and is free of lumps.
- Pour the batter to the cake pans and knock to the kitchen counter a few times.
- Bake the cake for – 20 mins if using two 6 inch pans. Bake for – 23 to 28 mins if using one 8 inch pan. When done tester inserted comes out clean.
- Cool the cake pan on a wire rack for 8 to 10 mins. Invert it on the rack and cool completely before frosting.
Making cherry syrup
- If using sugar syrup boil 2 tbsps of sugar in 4 to 5 tbsps of water until the sugar dissolves and comes to a rolling boil.
- Or add 3 tbsps water to chopped cherries and set aside for 45 to 50 mins.
- Strain the cherries and collect the syrup.
- Pat the cherries gently to remove excess juices.
To make chocolate shavings
- Keep the chocolate at room temperature for a while until it is easy to handle.
- Shave the chocolate bar using a fruit peeler. Keep it in the fridge until used.
- Chill a bowl & beaters for at least 2 hours to whip the cream. I also chill the cake for an hour.
- If made to a single 8 inch cake then cut it to 2 layers. I do not prefer to slice the cake so I bake in two 6 inch pans.
- Pour some cherry syrup or sugar syrup on each layer of the cake. Set this aside.
- Pour the whipping cream to the chilled bowl and begin to whip on a low speed then on medium speed until bubbly and slightly thick.
- Then add the powdered sugar and vanilla. Whip until stiff peaks.
- Fit a pipping nozzle inside a piping bag or use a disposable plastic bag.
- Transfer half cup of whipped cream to the bag. Refrigerate until used.
- Do not handle the bag a lot else the cream will soften.
Decorating the cake
- Spread 1 tbsp whipped cream on the cake stand and place a cake layer over it.
- Then begin to spread some frosting over it. Spread chopped cherries over the cream.
- Next place another layer of cake and spread the frosting.
- Finish up on the top portion and sides as well.
- Refrigerate the cream and the cake too for 45 to 50 mins if the cream begins to turn soft.
- Lastly spread a generous amount of whipped cream to finish off.
- Cover the sides of the cake with the chocolate shavings.
- Then decorate the cake border using the piping bag.
- I made about 12 roses you can do as many as you like – big or small. You can make your own designs too.
- Place the chilled whole cherries on the roses and then fill up the gaps with chocolate shavings.
- Refrigerate the eggless black forest cake until needed.
- Sugar: If you prefer to use powdered sugar, measure 1 cup sugar first and powder it.
- Milk or water: Milk makes the cake slightly dense but adds richness and flavor to the cake.
- Make the cake previous night and store it at room temperature.The flavor of cake enhances by the next day.
- Prepare the frosting and decorate the same day. Refrigerate the cake and finish in 2 days otherwise the texture of the cake turns slightly dense.
- You can heat up the cake in microwave and spread fresh frosting once it cools down.
Alternative quantities provided in the recipe card are for 1x only, original recipe.
For best results follow my detailed step-by-step photo instructions and tips above the recipe card.
NUTRITION INFO (estimation only)
© Swasthi’s Recipes